Thursday, July 5, 2007

100 THINGS ABOUT ME

100 Things about Me (after all this is MY blog, who else would it be about). These are in no particular order (see #97)
1. I have the best husband--After 25 years of marriage I STILL DON’T KNOW WHY I’M SO LUCKY!!!
2. I am so grateful to be a mother and grandmother, and I have the greatest children and grandchildren.
3. I can’t wait until Allan retires (but I have to stop spending money first), and we can go on a mission for The Church.
4. In spite of getting so sick when I was pregnant with each of my children, I LOVED BEING PREGNANT, and I think that delivering children is the greatest experience a woman can have, and my heart aches for those not able to bear children.
5. I love to sing, but I wish it was pleasing for others to hear me.
6. I have 5 sisters and wish I lived closer to them.
7. My dad died when I was 12 and my mom died when I was 13, and an amazing couple named Helen and Les took all 6 of us in and raised us.
8. I love chocolate--any kind of chocolate. In fact, I am utterly surprised whenever I have lab work that they do not find chocolate instead of blood flowing through my veins.
9. I have taken piano for 5 years and can’t wait until I can play during a sacrament meeting.
10. Even though it is a lot of work, I love teaching seminary. One of the best parts of teaching now is having Kyle in the class.
11. I think my mother-in-law is one of the most amazing women I know. She has always been such a great example of patience.
12. I wish I wasn’t afraid of snow skiing--I’d love to ski down a mountain. (Yet, I’m scared to death of riding the chair lift)
13. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
14. I think I have read every Nancy Drew book published!
15. When I was a teenager I had a crush on James Darren (Moondoggie in the Gidget movies, also on TJ Hooker. I cried when he got married!!!
16. After all these years, I still miss my mom and dad.
17. I have a goal to one day get a university degree.
18. I absolutely love reading and studying the scriptures--particularly the Book of Mormon.
19. I have struggled and continue to struggle with being a control freak, in fact, Allan says I would be happy if I had a badge and whistle--and there are many (including myself) who wish I would GET OVER IT!
20. I am a Little House on the Prairie fan and one day on the way travelling from the U.S. to Canada will stop at Laura Ingalls Wilder’s house.
21. I love roller coasters.
22. When I was young, I was an avid roller skater--in fact, my sisters and I used to go roller skating every weekend.
23. I love to scrapbook and am not very fast because I LOVE taking the trips down memory lane as I look at each of the pictures before I put them in the albums.
24. I am so grateful for cameras--not to have my picture taken, but to be able to take pictures. In fact, my headstone will read, “O.K. Look this way” (Only those who know how many times I say that (with camera in hand) will understand that one; )
25. I love to go camping, but since we've been married Allan (who loves to camp, too) and I have only camped together two or three times!!!
26. Patience is NOT ONE OF MY VIRTUES!!!
27. I would do anything for my kids.
28. One summer while I was in high school working at a Naval Base, I walked into the wing of an airplane (which was parked in a hangar), got hit between the eyes and passed out--also had two lovely black eyes!!!
29. One morning on the bus, I fell asleep on the shoulder of a man sitting next to me and drooled all over his shoulder!!!
30. In kindergarten I rocked alone in a rocking boat which eventually flipped over on top of me--and my dress ended up over my head. Talk about embarrassing!!!
31. I did a television commercial for a diet pill and it aired during prime time; and friends who were visiting other states would mention the city they lived in and someone would ask if they knew me!!!
32. In high school I loved cruising the strip on a Friday or Saturday night!
33. For a family vacation I would love to take all of my kids and grandkids on a houseboat.
34. I love playing sports--and wish I had gone through high school when they had girls sports teams that competed with other schools.
35. When I was in 3rd grade I tried out for the part of Queen Isabella in a school play about Christopher Columbus and I didn’t get the part. That was almost 50 years ago and I still haven’t forgotten that!!! (Did I mention I have a memory like an elephant???)
36. On our next trip to Hawaii I am determined to go parasailing!!!
37. When I was a young girl because my teeth were the worst in all of Alameda County, my orthodontist work was done for free. The orthodontist couldn’t figure out how I could even eat--my teeth were so bad.
38. I worked as a secretary for the Chief of Gastroenterology, Chief of Pediatrics, and Chief of Neurosurgery at a teaching hospital and loved it!
39. I miss my little yellow VW bug.
40. I am a huge Rocky fan; in fact, I let Stephen get out of elementary school early the day it opened so we could go see Rocky II.
41. I am so happy that I have seen the Sistine Chapel.
42. I do not like shows like American Idol because I can’t stand to watch people be humiliated or make fools of themselves.
43. I hate confrontation--and, in fact, if I am watching a morning show and someone is being interviewed and the interviewer begins to put them on the spot, I have to change the channel.
44. I am claustrophobic.
45. I want to fix everyone’s problems.
46. I worked part time as a medical transcriptionist while working full time as a secretary at a hospital.
47. I wish I had a better relationship with some members of my family (see #19) and am going to adopt the motto "easy to please and hard to offend"; hopefully, that will make things better!
48. I hate doing my hair, and if I were rich, would have a personal hairdresser who would do my hair each morning.
49. I don’t understand a word of Italian but could melt when I hear Andrea Bocelli sing in Italian.
50. My mother once made me choose between eating a cup of soap suds or cauliflower--I chose the soap suds!!!
51. When I was 7 or 8 I fell down the stairs going to the garage with a huge glass jug of kool aid. The glass broke and went into my wrist. I had a lot (and I mean a lot) of stitches. I still remember how my mom wrapped it in a dishtowel and kept squeezing it to put pressure on it--and I could feel the pieces of glass going into my wrist.
52. I have always been embarrassed by my long arms--I still contend that is why I don’t swim because I’m self-conscious about these long octopus arms coming out of the water.
53. I have a brown thumb.
54. Every March, I get involved in March Madness and have a March Madness Championship Game Party at my home.
55. One year I had a part-time job giving out Christmas tree seedlings at a bank.
56. I hate mirrors, and probably only look at one in the morning when I do my hair and make-up--after that I avoid them at all costs!!!
57. Even though I grew up in the Bay Area and don't like to admit it, I am afraid of earthquakes.
58. I love flowers.
59. I have been lucky enough to visit 30 countries and 4 continents, and this fall will visit my 5th continent when we go on a cruise in Asia, and I'm excited to be able to walk on the Great Wall of China.
60. I make a caramel brownie that people seem to love--I almost enjoy the "dough" better than the finished product!!!
61. I am lousy at recording in my check registry and I always forget to tell my husband when I take money out of the ATM.
62. My favorite colors are blue and red.
63. The night before I delivered my first baby I ate a whole bag of oreos and drank a half-gallon of milk, so when I woke up with labor pains, I just thought it was from the cookies and milk.
64. When I lived in the Bay Area, when I would go to see the Oakland A's play, I used to sit in Reggie's Regiment.
65. I am a sap and cry over everything.
66. When I was young I was afraid of dinosaurs--no, I'm not that old! I was just afraid they would come back and eat me.
67. I have a problem with blinking when I have my picture taken.
68. I think the Louvre is one of the most amazing museums.
69. I did not have any wisdom teeth.
70. I would love to run in a marathon--of course, it would take a lot of "preparation".
71. I strongly object to everyone using the word "retard".
72. I think the colors during the Fall are amazing.
73. I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I saw the Northern Lights, and I still get excited each time I see them.
74. I wish I were a better cook.
75. I absolutely hate to iron.
76. Going to the dentist is right up there with going to the gynecologist!!!
77. Mosquitoes love me.
78. I remember going with my mother to take my sister, Gayle, to kindergarten--she screamed and kicked the principal. I, on the other hand, turned and waved to my mother--I was SO EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO SCHOOL!
79. I think it is so exciting to see how the world is changing technologically--wish I was going to be around another 75 years--although I think the next 25 will be incredible.
80. I wish my grandchildren lived closer.
81. I have always wanted to take my daughter(s), daughters-in-law, and granddaughters to New York. Of course, it would require a credit card with no limit.
82. On a cruise I swam with sting rays, and am so glad I did.
83. I love the smell of lilacs.
84. In high school, my best friend was 4' 11" tall--and at my (then) 5'8" we were like Mutt and Jeff.
85. When O.J. was first arrested, I thought he was innocent.
86. I don't laugh enough.
87. I once had a job washing windows at Chabot College in Hayward, California.
88. I love to play Scrabble--but am not very good at it.
89. I always enjoyed any kind of math in High School, but I hated any kind of science.
90. In Junior High, I started taking French and wish I had kept up with it.
91. I love Jeopardy.
92. When I go out to eat, my favorite main course is Prime Rib.
93. Every year since we've lived in Winnipeg I have planned on planting daffodils, but have yet to do it.
94. One year while with Allan on a business trip in Orlando, when he was in meetings I went to Disneyworld--it is not a fun place by yourself--and people think you are scary!!!
95. Whenever we are in the South, I love going to the Waffle House.
96. I have been in a hurricane.
97. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ.
98. I love shoes.
99. It makes me very sad when people don't like me--and I worry about why.
100.I'm so glad I did this list.

7 comments:

heidi said...

Mom--I absolutely LOVED reading your 100 things about yourself. It was fabulous!!! I learned so many things that I never knew. You are such an AMAZING woman and I just love you so much. I love how open you are and thank you for sharing all of this. I especially love the comment about chocolate flowing in your veins:) And you are a fabulous cook, I don't know what you are talking about!

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Heidi. This has been so fun for me. I remembered a lot of things I had actually forgotten. Kind of a fun exercise.

Kathy said...

As you can tell I finally found you. It was fun to read your list, I was surprized at how many things we have in common! Looking forward to the pics from your next trip!

Yvonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvonne said...

Kathy, I started to comment, and had to it delete because I goofed. I know we have several things in common, like blinking when pictures are taken, and you love shoes, too, butthen there's the fact that you love to iron, and well, I only ENJOY watermelon.

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I am right there with you on 20-22!!!

A brown thumb who loves flowers... we are two of a kind!

#48 all the way! I have always had the same wish!

My Grandma (who is in her late 70's) STILL works at the Waffle House! Say hi to Frances if you are ever in Tuscaloosa, Alabama!

MAGIRK said...

Not sure if you're still accepting comments on this post, but I Loved reading this! (Have some extra time on my hands tonight - I know, weird! - so I'm back-reading some of my favorite blogs.)

What a fun, awesome woman you are! I couldn't stop laughing at #29 & #30, LOL. And it's funny that you are a seminary teacher, because I have an embarrassing skirt moment that happened in seminary.

Thanks so much for reading my blog, and allowing me to read yours. There's just something so comforting in knowing that there are awesome people all over the world! :-) Like you!

-Allyson