Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas Meme

I saw this Meme on several blogs over the last few days, and because I love this time of year, I couldn't resist.

Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I love wrapping paper, and I very rarely use gift bags!!!Í

Do you have a Nativity scene? I love my nativity scenes. This is my favorite.
I also have this one which I love mainly because it is so fun to have children play with it.
Then there's this one which Allan got when we were in Iceland a few years ago. It is the oddest looking one, but I have to admit it has grown on me.

Do you like eggnog? It is my most favorite stuff. (Sorry, Lauren). I even like the light stuff. I'm very sad when they don't sell it anymoe!!

Favorite Christmas movie ? That's a tough one. I love so many Christmas movies. I love Elf, but I that isn't very traditional, so I would have to go with "It's a Wonderful Life" or "Miracle on 34th Street"

Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? I usually get my cards all ready and then don't get them all addressed, so I don't mail any of them. I very rarely do a card but do a Christmas letter with a photo or photos.

Easiest person to buy for ? I was going to say "me" because I always know what I want (and everyone knows all they have to do is buy me a candy bar and I'm happy)--and sometimes I make life a little easier for Allan by picking up a couple of things for me, but so I don't sound tacky I think it would have to be Heidi.

Real tree or artificial? I put up several Christmas trees each year. 3 of them are artificial and 1 is real.

Have you ever recycled a Christmas gift? No--I always love everything I receive, so why would I recycle???

Favorite Christmas song? I guess it would have to be the one that makes me cry every year--because I miss my kids who aren't with us--I'll Be Home For Christmas!!! (Always wishing they would be home with us for Christmas!!!)

Do you travel at Christmas or stay home? We haven't travelled over Christmas since Allan's dad died in 1999 and we went to Reno to be there before he died and stayed through Christmas.

White lights or colored on the tree? 1 of my trees has white lights and the other 3 have colored lights. My house has white lights.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Anything and everything (especially if it's chocolate)

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Of course--Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen--and, of course, the most famous reindeer of all--Rudolph!!!

When do you put up the tree? The artificial trees go up right after American Thanksgiving and then the real tree goes up around the 10th!!! Speaking of "putting up"--this is my tree that goes on the landing above the front door. Poor Allan has to climb a ladder holding the tree. He is such a good sport (AKA dutiful husband)

When do you take down the tree? I usually take down all of the decorations the first Saturday after New Years.

What is your favorite place to go at Christmas? For years, our zoo used to have an event called "Lights of the Wild" and it was so great to go walking around the zoo and see all the displays when it was 40 below 0. (It was always a treat to take visitors and let them experience a REAL WINTER!!!This is the year Wendy and Tony came to visit--can you tell they were COLD??? Since they stopped doing it we love to go and ride The Candy Cane Train!!!This was Christmas 2004--right before Brent left for his mission. Neal brought Macy up to Winnipeg so we could meet her. She commented the other day something to the effect that the coldest she has ever been was the 2 minutes she spent walking from the airport to our car!!!

Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
The kids get to pick one gift to open Christmas Eve and then the rest are opened on Christmas morning. (Besides the Christmas pj's they get every year!!! Speaking of which, I think I should look for a new pair for Allan--we've had these for years)

What do I love most about Christmas? I love to do all the shopping and watch everyone's face on Christmas morning. It makes all the preparation worthwhile!!! I also love doing The Twelve Days of Christmas.

Of course, I am so grateful that I know that Christmas is more than just a day off of work, but it is a celebration of the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for Him. One of our traditions on Christmas Eve is to have homemade soup and read Luke 2. By the way, if you have the Church video Luke II and you put on Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven--the timing is perfect!!!

This is a fun Meme--if you haven't done it, go ahead and do it!!!

Sidenote: The van is not going to be written off, but it will be repaired. YIPPEE!!! But, due to the number of cars that are in shops being repaired it will take six weeks to get it fixed!!! It will make it very interesting when Heidi and Brent come home for Christmas--they can't drive the rental car.

Kyle had to talk with the insurance people about the accident. They needed to give him what they termed "a lecture". They wanted to be sure he understood it is illegal to drink and drive??? (I think both Allan and Kyle sat there dumbfounded!!!)

15 comments:

txmommy said...

you've been in iceland! Lucky, that's on my list, was it terrific? and so beautiful?

Fun meme, glad you did it :)

Nancy Face said...

Your favorite Nativity scene is beautiful, and I love the children's set... so cute!

Your Christmas lights are pretty, and the Christmas jammies are cute and happy!

Yay for the van getting fixed...and poor Kyle getting lectured! Maybe it was that egg nog. ;)

MAGIRK said...

What fun traditions and celebrations! It sounds like Christmastime is a wonderful season around your home.

Thanks for sharing! :-)

JustRandi said...

I love the Icelandic nativity! I'm also excited about the Christmas tree over the door. I have one of those little landings, too. It never occurred to me to decorate it....
I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea.

Melissa said...

I love that YOU are the easiest person to buy for! :D I feel the same way... seeing as I got myself part of my WillowTree Nativity for my own birthday... ;)

Lauren said...

What a happy happy Merry Christmas meme!!! I love the tree above the landing! What a glorious idea!!!

annie said...

I enjoyed your answers Yvonne!
I love the nativity scenes, all of them and I love your high up tree. Very cool, and what a good hubby!

Ashley said...

We are very similar when it comes to Christmas tradition. I just love every nativity set, the unique ones are special. I can't wait for warm jammies, Christmas lights everywhere, and I too like eggnog!

Holly said...

Neat answers Yvonne! Yea for the van getting fixed!

Suzanne said...

Your home is so beautiful! How nice that you can decorate it with so many trees. That's cute with you and your hubby in matching jammies. I don't think my hubby would do that! Ever! LOL! It was fun reading this! :)

Tori :) said...

I loved all the pictures!! I wish I could do this meme, but since I'm not decorating this year I wouldn't be able to take great pics.
Loved this post!!

Poor Kyle...

PJ said...

This is a FUN Meme! I love your Christmas tree on the landing, and egg nog is delish, and that is sad about Kyle getting a lecture. Elf is so funny, we love it too.

OH, and I love your matching jammies!

Tonya said...

Your decorations are beautiful. It all looks so inviting. I've never felt cold like you have there. The coldest that I have been in was about 10 below. I can't even imagine. Brrrr!

Mrs. Monkey Butt said...

Your home looks so beautiful. I love your nativity sets. That first one is beautiful.

Merry Christmas!!

Yvonne said...

txmommy: Iceland was fun--we were there on a cruise so I only saw a little of Reykjavik and the Blue Lagoon.

nancyface: I do so love Nativity sets. Allan and I laugh every year as we put our jammies on. Kyles love egg nog and I don't think it impairs his driving ; )

magirk: We love Christmas.

justrandi: It's fun to put the Christmas tree over the landing--well it's fun while I watch Allan put it up ;)
Please put one up.

melissa: I'm so glad you got the Willow Tree nativity set for yourself ; )

lauren: Thanks. I love the tree above the door, too.

annie: Thanks--I am married to a pretty great guy ; )

ashley: We love going out looking at all the lights. I'm so glad you are an eggnog fan!

holly: Thanks, Holly. I'm pretty happy about the van.

suzanne: You're sweet. I love putting up lots of trees. It just makes me feel more festive. My hubby is pretty cooperative.

tori: Your meme was great--even without pictures!!!

pj: I agree about the egg nog. I love that the elfs stick to the 4 main food groups--candy, candy corn, candy canes, and syrup.

Thanks.

tonya: Thank you. I keep thinking I need to change a few things once in awhile. It gets a little boring sometimes.

Yes, it is quite cold.

mrs. monkey butt: thanks and Merry Christmas to you, too. Where do you put all your nativity sets???