Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Could Christmas Really Be Less Than A Week Away???


First of all I realize I haven't posted anything about the Nativity Pageant. Because Kyle was home sick on Friday with the flu, we didn't go to the Friday night performance. He was supposed to play during one of the intermissions. Those who attended said it was it was pretty cold. Late Saturday afternoon we headed to the Forks to see it. (I didn't get a good picture, so I decided to post the pic of a cute nativity set Heidi gave me for Christmas last year) Fortunately, the weather cooperated. We found where Kyle was supposed to play piano and we left him there. Brent's plane was arriving at 5:35. We were grateful that he hadn't arrived early. (I think Brent is so looking forward to having Christmas morning with us)

I am so mad that I didn't take my camera when I headed for Church on Sunday--we had lovely hore frost and I really wanted a picture. If I just knew how to use the camera on my new phone I could have taken a picture. By the time I was coming back from Church there really was nothing to see. I think hore frost is so beautiful. (Actually we have hore frost again this morning, but the sun is not shining and I knew it wouldn't be as pretty, but this is what it looked like. (One day I'll post a picture when it's a beautiful sunny day and you get a better idea of what an amazing winter wonderland display we have when there is frost.On Sunday I talked to one of the boys from the Congo and asked if he was tired of the cold and snow yet. He answered with a very enthusiastic, "NO!!!" (I'm sure glad he's enjoying it ; )

I'm going to switch gears for a minute. Maybe because of my Seminary lessons this week, but I've been thinking about how it is much easier to deal with our own struggles than to watch others deal with trials. Maybe it's my controlling nature, but I always think everyone else isn't going to get through a trial. I need to let go and put it in the Lord's hands. I cannot do anything, but He can.

It is such a joyful time of year, but I can't help thinking of those who are facing difficult times. I have a dear friend in California who I served with in a Young Women's Presidency--we had babies on the same day back in 1983. She just found out her husband has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My heart is just breaking for them. We are so blessed to have the understanding we have of eternal life, but times like these are still difficult. I pray that they will be at peace.

It's time like this, I so wish all my kids and grandkids could be here for Christmas. I highly doubt I will ever have all of them, but I guess I can always dream!!! Only 3 more sleeps and Heidi will be home. I know she's grateful to have finals over.

16 comments:

Ashley said...

That is one beautiful picture. It has been a long time since I have seen a good snow. Last year I was in Missouri when they had the most amazing and destructive ice storm. It was sad, but beautiful at the same time. Like the world was made of glass. I thought living in Idaho we would have a lot more snow. Guess you have to be further north or at a higher altitude.

JustRandi said...

I'm not sure I've ever heard of hore frost. What is it? I thought your picture was beautiful!

Yvonne said...

ashley: I can't believe you don't get a lot of snow in Idaho. I'd be happy to send you some of ours ; )

justrandi: sorry I didn't explain about the hore frost. I'd never seen it until we moved here. This is what I read about it: "Hoar-frost is a crystalline deposit of ice formed by the sublimation of water vapour" The funny thing is when you drive down the street and it's heavy on one side and there's very little on the other???

Melissa said...

Here is a link to an upclose picture of hore frost that my mom sent me last year from Idaho...
http://mejojacspot.blogspot.com/2006/12/ice-crystal-my-mom-sent-me-this.html
I love the way it looks on everything!
That nativity is so cute!!

Holly said...

It's so pretty, especially when you don't have to be out in it!

Tori :) said...

Merry Merry Christmas Yvonne!!

Tonya said...

Your winter wonderland is so pretty (especially since I don't have to shovel it or drive in it :o)

I'm sorry about your friend. It really is hard to watch those you love suffer through a trial.

MAGIRK said...

Hope it will be a great time for you with the family that WILL be there for Christmas.

The news about your friend's husband is so sad. I feel sad for her, and I don't even know her! You're right about difficult times. Sometimes it feels easier to experience it ourselves, I know when I see others hurting I just wish there were things I could do more, other than hugs or shoulders to cry on.

I know the frost would have been beautiful with the sunlight, but that picture still is cool. I love pictures of the frost, or a newly fallen snow, the way it coats everything and is so beautiful. I just wish it didn't have to be sooooo cold!

Chel said...

That was powerful. Isn't it nice to know that everything is in God's hands?

That picture is gorgeous. I only see snow once a year... when we go to Utah for a week in January. I'm not a fan of snow though, but it sure makes it look like Christmas and it sure is pretty!!!

We are all handed trials, but there is nothing worse than watching a dear friend or family member go through one. It is heartbreaking. She is lucky to have you as a friend. I can tell you are a very strong person.

Peter said...

you're right Yvonne about having an eternal perspective on things. Not saying that when someone you loves passes on, that we don't grieve for them. But as Latter Day Saints we know that there are family members on the otherside rejoicing at the "coming home" So I like to think that while we weep, there is a big celebration going on in Heaven.
Carolyne in Niverville

PJ said...

It sounds beautiful! We had a few flakes last week, and the newscast called it a "Winter storm" HA!

I LOVE that nativity, one of my favorites so far this season.

Glad Heidi will be there soon!

txmommy said...

wow! look at the snow!

3 more sleeps until my Dani gets here. I know I need to savor every moment because soon they'll all be gone and who knows if we will all be able to gather or not.

Sorry about your friends. It's very hard..I guess that's why they call them trials. But Heavenly Father knows us and loves us and it will be for our good. The trick is to remember that in the moment.

Nancy Face said...

Sorry I haven't been on the computer so much this week!

That is a cute, cute Nativity! :)

I'd never heard of hore frost...I'm such a desert rat. The picture is beautiful! :)

I'm so sorry about your friend's husband. My brother-in-law passed away from pancreatic cancer at age 28. It's so difficult when people have to suffer...and it's such a blessing to know Heavenly Father's plan.

Yvonne said...

melissa: thanks for the link. Isn't it amazing.

holly: you're so right--it's even prettier when you can view it from INSIDE the house.

tori: Thanks, Merry Christmas to you, too.

tonya: You're absolutely right about not having to shovel or be out in the snow/frost.

thanks. I just hate to watch others suffer.

magirk: It will be wonderful with the family who is here.

I always wish I knew the right thing to say--and sometimes it's just a shoulder or a hug that someone needs.

Like you, I wish we could have the beauty of winter without the cold temperatures.

chel: Yes, we are so blessed to know that it is in His hands.

You're right--snow is beautiful.

I just wish I were closer for my friend.

carolyne: Yes, it's wonderful to have the eternal perspective. It definitely helps.

pj: ha, ha, about the winter storm after a few flakes, but I guess it's all relative.

Only 1 more sleep ; )

txmommy: I know you must be so excited about having Dani home--and you are so right about enjoying every moment. I hope it's great for all of you.

I'm so grateful to know Heavenly Father is mindful of us.

nancyface: I'm glad you came by--it is such a busy time of year.

Some day you have to experience cold temps ; )

That's horrible about your brother-in-law, so incredibly young. My father-in-law died of pancreatic cancer as well. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the understanding of the plan.
It can be hard with it, can't even imagine how it would be with no hope.

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

That is so cool that missionary is enjoying the weather!

May peace be with your friends dealing with cancer. That is so hard, like you say to witness those you love in pain. Her husband probably aches for her as she aches for him.

Merry Christmas, Yvonne! You are so special!

Lauren said...

I love your nativity, it is cute :)

I love the picure of the frost! Except, I don't think I would enjoy being anywhere near that.