Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday, Monday

It began as a great weekend. According to Allan and Kyle the youth conference was a great success. Our billets did fine--they were not any trouble and I got all the sheets changed, blankets washed, and EVEN DUSTED ; )














Kyle's birthday was yesterday. On Saturday he asked Allan if he would make him breakfast on Sunday morning. Allan reminded him that they would feed them at the Church before church started, but Kyle said he would rather have Allan's breakfast. Allan asked what he wanted and was thrilled when Kyle said waffles--thinking he would just have to put them in the toaster--SURE

I think Kyle had a good birthday. He asked for pork chops, rice and corn for dinner and strawberry shortcake for dessert. We were watching a movie when the doorbell rang, I went to the door and didn't see anyone so I figured it was the TV. Went back and Kyle said, no it was the doorbell. When I went back to the door I could see 3 of his friends running back to the door. (I guess I didn't see the black forest cake they left on the porch. What good guys!!!)

Of course, after opening presents Kyle wanted to play Rockband with us--so because it is his birthday, Allan agreed. We played a couple of songs and then Kyle's friends came over to eat the cake they dropped off earlier.

I commented before on the fact that I was not able to hear all of Conference, but on Saturday finally listened to Pres. Monson's concluding talk. Also heard Elder Ballard and Elder Bednar. Wow! They were so inspiring. I love Conference and always feel so motivated. I'm very proud of my Seminary students who are starting to recognize each of the First Presidency and members of the Quorum of the Twelve.

Yesterday there was a comment made in a talk in Sacrament Meeting that I wanted to share--we have an Elder from France who has been serving here for almost 2 years. He said when he put his papers in to go on his mission he wanted to go to Africa and he wanted to learn English. When he got his call and knew he was coming to Canada he knew he would at least learn English. His first area was in Regina. In November 2006 he was emergency transferred to Winnipeg because there was a family to teach who spoke French. He has been in our Ward ever since and many of the members of this family (who are from Africa) have been converted. He says he feels the Lord definitely heard and answered his prayer as he has enjoyed the blessing of teaching people from Africa without the heat, problems, etc.

The weekend ended on such a sad note when we received word that a dear friend (a young husband and father), was killed Saturday night in a car accident in Western Canada. He and his wife have 3 young boys ages 8, 6, and 3. My heart is just breaking for her and the children. She is a beautiful, remarkable, strong, young woman--she was Heidi's YW President. He went to dental school here and they moved out west after he graduated.

24 comments:

annie said...

Sounds like a great birthday for Kyle. How sweet that he preferred a home cooked breakfast.
That's so sad about the young man. I will pray for his family.

annie said...

I was first btw!

aurora said...

What a fun birthday!

Thanks for sharing that amazing story about the Elder who got to teach Africans after all! Wow. The Lord really works in amazing ways.

I am so sad to hear of the loss of that sweet young father. Oh, what a heartbreak.

JustRandi said...

I love those kinds of missionary stories. Yea!
And I'm so sorry about your friend. He'll be in my prayers, too.

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! Neat post Yvonne. I'm sorry about your friend, how tragic.

Thanks for your sweet email, too!

Jess said...

I am glad that you survived having the billets. I love that Kyle wanted Allan to cook his breakfast that is so cool.
I heard about the death of that young man so sad. Times like this make me so grateful for the plan of salvation.

Alice Wills Gold said...

Happy Birthday to Kyle.

I am sorry to hear about this young mother and children losing their father/husband.

I was recently reading another friend's blog and told her that the world weaps longer when it loses a mother, but I guess the same could be said for a father too.

I hope that this family will be comforted by the Holy Ghost.

Thanks for my reminder to enjoy my family every second. You never know when it is your time to go.

Ashley said...

Sounds like Kyle had a good birthday and good friends too! What a really cool story about missionary work. Things always have a way of working out.

Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. How awful for her and her family. They are in our prayers.

Tori :) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. How horrible for his family. :( Thank goodness families can be forever.

Chel said...

Happy birthday to Kyle. He is such a handsome young man!

Wow! I loved that story about the French Elder. That is so amazing. I just love hearing missionary stories. Every time I get a letter from brother I squeal with delight and have it read before I even enter the house!! :)

I'm so sorry about your dear friend. I too ache all over when I hear of such tragedies.
I wouldn't say that I sit here and think about death, but it is one thing that is guaranteed in our life. We never know when it will be our turn to return to Him. I will pray for his sweet wife and the children-- that is so sad!

Chel said...

I was also going to say... I love conference time too. I always feel so motivated and rejuvenated after.

Corrine said...

Oh what sad news! Man what a week for all!

I am glad to hear Kyle had a fun b-day!

And such an amazing missionary story, gonna go read the missionary memories :)

Nancy Face said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KYLE! I'm glad he and Allan enjoyed Youth Conference! My kids love when their dad makes them a home cooked breakfast...all they get from me is cold cereal! ;)

How fun that Kyle's friends brought him a cake and even helped him EAT IT! :D

I loved reading the missionary story about the elder from France...I'm so glad you shared it with all of us! :)

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your friend. It is just heartbreaking. I will pray for his family.

Sheila said...

Happy Birthday to your son Kyle as well. I appreciate the prayers on behalf of Robin's family, I feel so badly that a young father has been called home. My sister Debbie lost her husband almost 5 years
ago. Her children were about the same age as your friends when their Daddy passed away unexpectedly. I will never forget the sound of children weeping over the loss of their Daddy. So young to understand it all. My thoughts and prayers are with you Yvonne and your dear friend and her children. toodles, Sheila, NV

PJ said...

Fun, Fun birthday!

Tonya said...

Sounds like a fabulous birthday for Kyle. I'm glad everything went well.

So sorry to hear about your friend. You just can't even imagine how the family must be feeling.

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! What a fun birthday :)
I'm so sad to hear about that man passing away. It's always sad when some one dies, but when they have such young children, it's a tragedy. :( His family will be in my prayers.

Suzanne said...

Happy birthday Kyle! It sounds like he has really nice friends.

I love hearing inspiring missionary stories like that!

How heartbreaking when women and children have to lose a husband/father like that! I guess we have to accept it as Heavenly Father's will, but it still seems hard to understand.

Lauren said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend :(

I must say, Kyle's tie is so awesome! I would love to get one like that for Ted. Did you get it at a department store?

I got to listen to the talks I missed too! I am so grateful for the Internet, the talks were so inspiring!

smellychelli said...

Wow! So many wonderful things to happen in a weekend. And yet, such a tragedy. Happy Birthday to Kyle. He's lucky to have a great family and great friends.

I have a friend who lost her husband to cancer when he was just 41. Six children at home ranging in age from 15 to 3. I found a quote by Joseph Smith that was about losing children to death, but I think it applies to anyone who dies too young. The jist of it is that these people are just too good to remain on this earth.
Your friend will need lots of love and support. She is going to go through some very hard times. The first year is the worst, but time heals and she will too. We'll keep their family in our prayers.

Yvonne said...

Everyone: First of all, thanks for your concern for Troy's family. Nikki is a very strong woman. I know she will appreciate all the prayers. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that families can be together forever--it brings such comfort.

annie: It was a great birthday.

aurora: It was such a fun birthday.

You are so right--he Lord does work in amazing ways.

justrandi: I can't wait for you to share all of your stories--it will be great.

holly: Thanks for the birthday wishes for kyle.

You're welcome.

jess: It really wasn't bad having the extra bodies at our home. Notice Kyle didn't ask me.

alice: Thanks for the birthday wishes for kyle.

We are so blessed to have an understanding of eternal families.

ashley: Yes, Kyle does have great friends. I thought the elders experience was so great.

tori: It just breaks my heart. He was only 34--she is 33. Just way too young.

chel: Thanks for the birthday wishes for kyle.

I love missionary stories, too. I would love it if you would share your brother's stories with us.

Thank you for the prayers for Nikki and her family.

Conference is so wonderful.

corrine: I'm sorry about your grandma.

Kyle did have a great day.

I love missionary stories.

Nancyface: You did notice Kyle didn't ask ME to make him breakfast--I wonder why?!?

Kyle has great friends--it is so cute because many of them have been friends since 1st or 2nd grade.

This little elder that I was referring to is a big guy and he is so incredibly humble.

Thank you for your prayers for my friend.

sheila: Thanks for the birthday wishes for kyle.

I keep thinking of these young boys growing up without their dad--I know how strong Nikki is, and the great testimony she is, but my heart is just breaking for her.

pj: Thanks so much.

tonya: It was so fun. I know he had a lot of fun.

whitney: Thanks for the birthday wishes for kyle.

Yes, this young man's death was a real tragedy.

suzanne: Yes, kyle does have some great friends--and believe me, I'm grateful for that.

There are so many great missionary stories.

lauren: thanks.

I will tell kyle you liked his tie--it will make him smile. Funny story about it--Allan is VERY conservative. One day he was giving a fireside or something and needed what he thought was the loudest, ugly tie, so he bought that one! Kyle loved it ; )

Yes, the Conference talks were wonderful.

smellychelli: Thanks--Kyle loved his day!

I know that death is not the end, but when young people die I feel such sorrow for those left behind.

Thanks for your words.

mindyluwho said...

My heart goes out to your friend and her children.

Happy Birthday Kyle!

utmommy said...

Happy Birthday to Kyle!

So sad for that family. I'm so grateful for the knowledge of eternal families.

txmommy said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!!

Wow, there is so much going on all the time, isn't there? How sad for your friend, I hope she will find comfort in the gospel as she su fferes this lose.

How awesome for your missionary!!