Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cars

When Allan, Kyle and I were driving to Utah last month, Allan and I spent a lot of time talking about blogging. Allan was giving me some good ideas for some posts. (It's nice to have a husband who knows how much I love blogging. He knows what a great outlet it has been ; )

Allan thought maybe a post about the cars I have owned or my family owned would be fun. Like me just say I have a love/hate relationship with cars. When they break down, I hate paying to have them repaired. Also, when Stephen was a baby I didn't have a car--I hate to say this, but I think that's why I was so thin. I WALKED EVERYWHERE or took the bus. I think I gained 10 pounds the first month I had my car. Often, I think I should just park the car and walk or take the bus--I know I would lose a bunch of weight. (But, I'm not too excited about doing that when it's 40 below.

Anyway, here goes.

1) My favorite car was my little VW bug. I bought this from one of the doctors I worked for---I knew she had taken good care of it, and it would last a long time.

I have great memories of this car. This is the car, Allan left the note on when I was visiting with some friends and he saw my car. (I know I wrote about it before, but I can't find the post) Anyway, he left a note on the car and when one of my Laurel's spotted him she told us all and we went to the living room window. She pulled open the curtains and when he looked up he saw all of us looking at him. He was so embarrassed he jumped into his car and drove away. (We still laugh about it today ; )

I still remember driving my CTR-B class around in this bug.

Nancy inherited this car--she used to drive around with Heidi. Oh, how Heidi loved going everywhere with her big sister. In fact, if you look really close that's Heidi and Nancy (and one of Nancy's friends) in the front seat.

2) I paid something like $100 for this car and it ran for quite awhile. It was a Studebaker, but I don't remember what year. That is the car I had where I first gained my testimony of tithing--it died, a mechanic told me there was nothing he could do for it. I prayed and prayed, and pleaded for help because I knew I didn't have any money to get another car. Our RS President's husband and son went to look at the car and a few hours later drove it up to my apartment.






3) After Allan and I got married we bought one of these huge GMC vans.
It was very different than driving my little bug. Obviously, I didn't realize how much bigger because one day when I went to the bank to make a deposit, I got a little too close to the poll and scratched the whole side. I was in tears and he kept reminding me--It's just a car.

I loved the car because I never had to collapse the strollers. I could put bikes in the back and it held tons of luggage and tons of kids.




4) When I was a little girl, my family had a Rambler station wagon. I still remember going in that car to read my Nancy Drew books. When you have 5 sisters and live in a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom house, it's hard to find a quiet place. The car was quiet.
No picture--it was white and a few years old when we got it.

5) I wish I could remember what kind of pick-up truck we had, but I don't. I just know that my dad used to throw a mattress in the back of the truck and my sisters and I would pile in the back with blankets just about every Friday night we'd drive from Hayward to San Francisco to visit my aunt and uncle. (Keep in mind that was the 50's--no seat belt laws)

6. When we left North Carolina we bought a Dodge Caravan. That car was a great car for awhile--until it developed a problem with the belt. Whenever I would drive through a puddle and the belt would get wet it would slip off and the car would overheat and the steering would lock. It was VERY INCONVENIENT. One time the kids and I were driving back from Utah and it really started raining (I mean cats and dogs) and after a few minutes the car started to heat up. I got off the freeway and had to call CAA. It was so frustrating because the guy had to come and change the belt and then when I crossed the border I had to tell them about the repairs to the car--I mean 15 minutes away.

When we lived in Toronto, Kyle and I were in an accident in that car. I was glad it was well built because even though we rolled over we both came out without a scratch. (Thank goodness for car seats)

7. In 1999 I got a Honda Odyssey. I love my van. Each of the 3 younger kids learned to drive in that car--well, Heidi actually learned in the Caravan for awhile. I did a number on that car and so did Kyle. It still looks as good as new. (Not sure it smells as good as new--don't ever forget about a pumpkin in the back ; )

Now, I could do a whole other posts about the company cars that Allan has had--some were nice and some were, well, let's just say NOT NICE!!!


How about you, did you have a favorite car or special memory of a favorite car???

Sidenote: Hey, I got a subscription to Ancestry.com and I am LOVING IT!!!




30 comments:

Chel said...

Fun! I love your car post and hearing about your cars! What a great idea. (Maybe I will copy it when I have some spare time.)

I had a convertible bug when I was in high school- it was fun!

I'm like you, I don't like to pay for any sort of car repairs... I just buy something new every couple of years. I love NEW cars. It may be my most favorite thing! :)

I can just picture you in that big van. Cute!

annie said...

My favorite car was a transam, red with t-tops! I was so cool in that car... then I got married and then pregnant and soon realized a carseat didn't really fit in the little backseat.

Fun post!

glittersmama said...

I loved this post. Maybe I'll do a copycat...would you mind?

My very first car that was mine to drive was a 1979 Ford LTD. Almost as old as me. :)

PJ said...

What a fun idea for a post:D

I had a RED Jeep Cherokee that I miss TO THIS DAY!

Melissa said...

My favorite car was the first one my Hubby and I bought together after we were married - a GEO Prism. It was a teeny thing and street sign green! My brother in law called it "The Gnat" :) It got around 40 miles to the gallon on gas... sigh... I miss that car!

Yvonne said...

chel: Oh, do the post.

Oh, you lucky girl--a convertible bug. That must have been so fun.

I love new cars, too. I'm just always so nervous driving them.

annie: I loved transams. I always thought the t-top was neat. (oh that sounds kind of 70's doesn't it????)

Yeah, somehow a transam with a carseat in the backseat doesn't fit.

glittersmama: Please do the post. It was a lot of fun. I bet you loved that LTD.

pj: I always wanted a red car--but because of my lead foot didn't think I could afford all the tickets.

melissa: 40 mpg sounds FABULOUS!!! No wonder you miss that car.

JustRandi said...

I'm not really a big car person. But I'm terribly impressed that your husband will sit and talk to you about blogging, even giving you ideas! WOW.

aurora said...

The car that I learned to drive in was a lemon yellow stick-shift Austin Mini 1960-something. Adorable. Named Juanita. ;)

Corrine said...

my fav car was my 1969 super beetle sky blue bug that i drove in high school. my parents sold it when i left for college. i loved that car, my friends and i had a blast in it. we would hit speed bumps and rust would trickle out of the roof making our mouths taste like blood...it was all good

Chelli said...

We had some of the same cars!! My family had the big, GMC van and I remember riding in it to the mountains to get firewood. That van was so huge we could put whole logs in without chopping them up (sans seats of course). The 4 kids were placed in spaces between the logs for the ride home -- VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!! -- like you this was BEFORE seat belts!)
We also had the pick-up truck (ours was Ford) with the mattress in the back. Again, that is what we used to drive to the mountains. We would lay back there for the 3 hour drive with our old cassette player and listen to Abba.
Did your old station wagon have wood paneling and a backward facing seat?

Neal said...

I remember driving that yellow VW - it was really fun. That car was so forgiving, especially when you were learning to drive a manual transmission ; )

Ashley said...

You've had quite a few. It is funny how people can associate memories with cars and it gives them a good idea of the time frame. I NEVER thought I would love my minivan, but I do! It is so nice to be up high and have space for all the things we lug around.

Brent said...

I have really enjoyed all the cars that we have had in the family. I really like the car I have right now, my very first car, the air conditioning isn't that great because it's old, but gets me from point A to point B, it also gives me the sense of freedom of getting places easier.

Tori :) said...

What a fun post!! I always wanted a VW Bug!

Tiffany said...

I love this post. It makes me remember all the cars I have ever driven, my first car, and the car that all my boys came home in. I miss my Saturn. I had to give it up to a minivan when the twins were born. Oh, the silly things we get attatched to.:O)

Jodi said...

Great post! Love it!

My favorite car (only because I can NOT believe I actually owned it!) was a huge maroon LTD or something- it was so big I have no idea what it was! We bought it from Dave's grandpa for $500 right after we were married. It had huge holes in it from rust damage and it was the longest car in the world! I have a photo of me laying on the top of it. I need to find that photo! What a lemon! BUT...I was grateful for it!!!

Heffalump said...

I would love to have an older VW bug. My oldest son loves VWs and collects die cast VW cars. He also knows all kinds of obscure things about the History of VWs.

Nancy Face said...

This was a fun read! :)

I always keep cars for a long time, so there's lots of memories made in them, and I get very attached! My all time favorite car was my red Mustang...I've thought about writing a post about it. I think I'll write about ALL my cars like you did! Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? ;)

Millie said...

Oh, you said "Ancestry.com." Now I'm drooling. :)

I love your car history. Kind of like houses, lots of memories involved that you probably wouldn't expect...

How did you fit a CTR B class in your bug?

Sheila said...

I remember that my Mom & Dad used to name all the family cars... I remember Betsy(was an old white FORD 9 passenger van)the most. We
also had a Datsun B2-10...very small. I remember all of us (seven girls and Mom & Dad all riding to church in that car... back in the day)I guess that is why I like to name my cars... my current Desert Sand colored Saturn (that my son is driving) is Daisy. So when you are going anywhere... you are driving Miss Daisy! My son didn't appreciate her name and took out the daisy theme wheelcover and accessories. (not masculine I guess)I loved reading about all your cars. Great Memory!!
ToOdLeS, ShEiLA

Suzanne said...

I love this post, Yvonne! How fun that you had a VW Bug and I loved the pic of the Studebaker!

We were given a 1982 Reliant K-Car a year after I was married. It only had about 15,000 miles on it! LOL! It was totally a grandma car, but it was the first car that was totally mine and I'll always have a soft spot for it! :)

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

Kudos to Allen for this post idea! Very fun and I loved hearing your experiences with each car!

sweetpea said...

What a fun post! We just today picked up our car from the shop--and you're right, it's NOT fun paying for repairs!

Tonya said...

Allen was right, this was a great idea for a post. I really liked reading about all your cars.

My fav car was my first. It was a big ol 67 white 4 door Chevy and it was big enough for at least 10 of my friends. This was before we all wore seatbelts you know. That car was awesome. The engine had been rebuilt and it could fly. I loved that car we affectionately called "The Tank

aubrey said...

yvonne, i love your little vw bug. i always wanted one of those in high school. SO bad. i had a yucky little nissan sentra. i think the year was 88 or something. it was a clunker. we currently have a dodge neon but are looking to buy a vw eurovan so that i can fit all my staging stuff in it. my neon holds NOTHING. ha ha!

txmommy said...

when I grow up I want a cute little VW bug!!

Klin said...

Fun post. My dad loved Studebakers.

Yvonne said...

justrandi: Allan is very helpful and supportive.

aurora: That must have been a fun car.

corrine: Don't you wish you had that car today???

chellie: I do miss the big van, but glad I don't have to pay to fill it today.

Trucks were a lot of fun.

No our station wagon did not have wood paneling.

neal: It was a lot of fun to drive.

ashley: You are so right about cars and the whole time frame thing.

I always feel safer in my mini van.

brent: I'm so glad you have your car. After riding with you in the Utah heat, I wish the air conditioning worked better.

tori: I loved that bug.

tiffany: Memories are great.

jodi: You'll have to post the photo. I bet that LTD was fun to try and parallel park.

Yvonne said...

Oops, I hit enter before I finished ; )

heffalump: Yeah, I understand about the obscure things.

nancyface: Absolutely--I'd love you to do this post--yours would be great fun to read.

My Honda Odyssey is 9 years old and I still love it.

millie: Oh, I'm having such fun with the ancestry.com thing--I even found my grandma's middle name was Mildred. (Didn't have a clue)

I didn't take my whole class, but as each one would memorize we'd go get sundaes. When someone had a baptism I'd take the kids whose parents weren't going to be there to support the child who was being baptized.

sheila: I've never been one to name my cars, but I know lots of people who do.

Love the name Daisy but can understand why your son wouldn't want the Daisy wheelcover and accessories.

suzanne: Thanks.

Wow--a 1982 with only 15,000 miles on it must have been quite a gift.

gina: Thanks so much. It was fun to do.

sweetpea: Sorry you had to have your car in for repairs. (A horse is probably looking better right now ; )

tonya: How fun that you had a big 67 Chevy. Great memories, eh???

aubrey: Believe me, I loved that Bug. (I really wished we could have kept it forever ; )

txmommy: I'd love to drive that car today.

klin: My Studebaker was a great car.

Amber said...

This IS a fun poast and it makes me want to ask my folks about the many lemons we owned over the years. I have great childhood memories of being stuck on the side of the road while Dad hitchhiked for help because our car broke down!