Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Little Over 3 More Weeks



You are all so clever--you figured out where we're going in a little over three weeks--CHINA! The cruise we were supposed to take last year we had re-scheduled to take in April 2009. However, because of Allan's recent "retirement" we decided there would be no way he'd be able to take a month off when he gets a job, so when this cruise to China came up we decided to take it.

We are very excited about the cruise. It is a 22-day cruise from Vancouver to China. (That means I have to pack something like 26 cards for Allan--I love to give him a little love note every day ; ) On our way we stop in port cities in several cities in Alaska and spend time in Glacier Bay--which I absolutely love. Then we sail across the ocean for 5 days (well one of those is crossing the International Date Line) then stop in a couple of cities in Japan, one in Russia and South Korea; and then Dalian, China and finally end up in Beijing where we do a 4-day land tour. I'm even more excited now after watching the Olympics. I am really looking forward to walking on the Great Wall, visiting Tinnamen Square and the Summer Palace, flying to Xian so we can see the Terra Cotta Warriors, and the Forbidden City.

I was doing some re-organizing today and came across this photo taken some 22 years ago on our first cruise around the South Pacific. My goodness we all look so young ; )

I'm trying to get things organized--Seminary starts soon. We have an in-service this Saturday and our coordinator has asked me to do a little presentation on "What I Wish I Had Known When I Started Teaching Seminary". Number 1: That being dressed with hair combed and make-up on at 6:20 is REALLY EARLY!!!

When Seminary starts I will only teach a few days and then will be gone for almost a month. That gives me all those days at sea to work on lessons. I'm really looking forward to immersing myself in the New Testament. My biggest challenge will be figuring out how to take the manuals with me and keep my luggage under weight ; )

After Labor Day, Kyle will start his last year of high school. Can you believe because I sent a child to kindergarten in 1975, every September for the past 33 years I've sent someone to school. What will I do next year??? Speaking of school starting, Heidi had her "meet the parents and the students" day today. I sent her a text to see how it went and she wrote: "It was good, I survived. The kids are cute." I knew she would do great!!!

Prioritizing has been really hard for me lately. It's very different having my hubby home. We could sit and talk all day. It's like he's on vacation, but I know he has things to do, and I have things I SHOULD DO!!!

Sidenote #1: I noticed my sitemeter showed that there was someone looking at my blog from Bozeman, Montana. The funny thing was, as I looked at when they were viewing the blog I realized--IT'S ME. I don't live in Bozeman but when I have gone on to work on posts or edit posts, it keeps showing that I'm doing it from Bozeman??? WEIRD.

Sidenote #2: Speaking of weird: remember my post about my comments being lost--well, they all reappeared???

Sidenote #3: When I was in Oregon I jokingly mentioned we should do a pyramid picture. Got me remembering about this picture that was taken 10 years ago--that's Kyle on the top of the pyramid (he was one of the youngest ; )



Sidenote #4: I've never had 4 sidenotes ; ) On Sunday night we had a fabulous speaker at a fireside talk about how the Holy Ghost speaks to us in our mind and in our heart. A great reminder that we need to learn to listen to what we hear AND what we feel. Sometimes I get so busy and have far too many negative thoughts in my head. I really don't stop and listen often enough. I appreciated the reminder. In preparation for this year of Seminary I watched the first NT DVD entitled "Come Unto Me". I love all of the Seminary clips--this one was such a neat reminder of all that the Savior has done for us. I love the scripture, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." We often forget that He can gives us rest from EVERYTHING. He invites us to take EVERYTHING to Him and let it go. He doesn't just heal our physical infirmities He can heal EVERYTHING.




26 comments:

glittersmama said...

Your trip to China sounds so amazing! I hope you enjoy it. I'll be looking out for fabulous pictures of you on the Wall!

You are so sweet to think about writing little love notes every day on your trip. Do you do them at home too?

Neal said...

Many of the manuals may be available in electronic form, so you can just put them on your laptop...

Heffalump said...

I love that you give a little love note to your hubby every day.

Hmmm. The manuals are available as PDFs on the church website, and you can just save them on a laptop or some such.

My sitemeter shows me posting from Portland,Oregon because its the nearest big city. Its almost two hours away from me though. How far is Bozeman from you?

Have a great time in China! Take lots of pics...I look forward to your travelog...

Tonya said...

Oh Yvonne, I'm so happy for you and Allan that you get to go on this wonderful trip. You have been waiting so very patiently. Good for you!!

Mel said...

What an awesome trip you have planned!

Wow, I can't imagine all the preparation that must go into each and every Seminary lesson. You are amazing!

Amanda said...

I am so excited for you to go to China! I can't wait to see all the fun pictures of you on your trip! :)

33 years of sending kids to school! That is a long time!

I remember when my husband was injured and home from work for several months that I felt the same way about getting things done. I don't think we will ever be one of those couples that gets tired of being home together. It was hard to prioritize and actually accomplish anything other than just enjoying each other's company.

I appreciate your thoughts on the Holy Ghost. I too often forget to sit back and listen. I think that comes with the patience thing too. I want answers right away and in my own way....

utmommy said...

I'm so excited for you to go to China. You will have an amazing time and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Chelli said...

CHINA!?!? Wow! That is very cool! Like the others, I can't wait to read your posts and see your pictures. What a great trip that will be.

Nancy Face said...

Your upcoming trip sounds like a dream! I'm so excited for you! (I hope you can keep your luggage under the weight limit!)

How amazing that you've had 33 years of "first day of school"! :)

Trying to be ready at 6:20 AM would pretty much do me in, haha! :D

Sitemeter sounds pretty CRAZY!!!!

PJ said...

So exciting, it's like a child waiting for Christmas morning! Please take a foolish amount of photos for us!

33 Septembers, wow.

Have fun getting ready for Seminary:)

JustRandi said...

I'm so excited and jealous about your trip! We were planning a China trip this fall too, but things came up and it just couldn't work. I'll be SO excited to see all your pictures, though.

Those seminary videos are the BEST. It always bugs me that the general church population never gets access to them... even after they retire them. What's up with that?

annie said...

How exciting!!!!
You guys are adorable.

Ashley said...

I am so excited for you! You all will have an amazing time. SO many great places to visit. I bet your hubby loves all those special notes. Such a great idea. I can not believe it is time for school to start. Where did the Summer go?

Tori :) said...

I am so excited for you!! Sounds so awesome!

My mom and dad were called to teach seminary this year. My mom has done it before in the past for 8 or 9 years, but this will be a 1st for my dad. They are excited!

Sheri said...

How exciting for you! And for us who are traveling vicariously through you!! I can just imagine what a terrific seminary teacher you are! My Dad was a Seminary Techer while I was young and I have secretly always wanted to be one!

Nancy Face said...

I have a blingy little award for you...

Holly said...

You're going to have so much fun!

Klin said...

I am awaiting the pictures.

33 years of sending kids to school? I don't think you are that old;)

Suzanne said...

I LOVE your 80's outfit! And I love your pyramid pic too. I'll bet you're so excited for China. I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Sheila said...

Wow!!!!!!!!
can you tell that I am impressed.
CHINA... and after the Olympics.
I can't believe that school/seminary is already starting again... I don't have any kids at home... but I have heard the rumors... and my sister assures me that it's true. I have bloggy-friends with kids that have just started or will start next week. I bet your seminary kids love you. What will they do while you are gone?
Enjoy your trip.
ToOdLeS,ShEiLA

txmommy said...

CHina sounds so wonderful, and luxurious! I hope you have the best time!! I wonder if you'll be able to blog at sea?

I love the NT, and am so glad my girls will be studying that this year. It's one of my favorites!

Your first cruise pictures is so glam! I want to cruise!!

Jodi said...

Wow 33 years of sending kids back to school? Amazing...

All that Seminary prep, is amazing!

Your trip to China sounds so, well...amazing!!!

Writing love notes to your hubby every day is extremely amazing!

Conclusion....

YOU are AMAZING!!! You really are!!! So glad I know ya!

Alice Wills Gold said...

Oh WOW...i don't know what is more appealing...visiting China or being on a cruise for 22 days. Enjoy it.

Melissa said...

You know, I bet you are the most amazing seminary teacher! Can I come and sit in the back and just listen? I promise to be good and not pass notes to the other kids!
China! How exciting! What a wonderful trip for you guys to be able to go on!

Chel said...

Your cruise sounds wonderful. I know you will have a great time! I'm so happy for you.

You really amaze me about your seminary class... all the time, effort and knowledge is really mind-blowing. You are amazing.

No Cool Story said...

YAY!!! That trip is going to be so awesome! I am looking forward to the pictures :)
You are so cute.