Sunday, September 21, 2008

Glacier Bay

First of all, congrats to Lauren and Ted on their marriage Thursday. I have been reading Lauren's blog for a little over a year. It has been so fun to learn all about Ted throughout that year, and then be so excited for Lauren when he came home from his mission, get a chance to meet them both last April and follow all the wedding plans and now she is a married woman. Again, congrats.

I feel like I'm doing my sidenote's first--I've tried to visit a few blogs--it's kind of hard. Quite often blogger takes forever to bring up the comment form and then when there is word verification it's so frustrating especially if I type a letter wrong ; (
Anyway, I'm missing you all. I want to know what you're all doing. I will get by and say hi--it just may take me awhile. But if we keep having trouble with the internet, I may have to wait until I get back. It's much better right at this moment.

Thursday we were in Glacier Bay. It was cloudy, but when we first entered the inlet it was foggy and I was just grateful it didn't stay that way. It is so majestic. You can't look at the beautiful sights and think that this world just happened by accident. So much beauty, so much variety--I really sit in awe.

I was standing on the balcony with my family and ran in to get my camera when a HUGE piece of ice went into the water. It was the loudest boom--I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT!!! I saw a few smaller ones, like this one so was pretty excited about that.


















This gives you a feel for how beautiful and serene it all is--it is truly majestic when you are in Glacier Bay.














These glaciers are absolutely amazing. I wish I could really capture the blue.

















Here we are standing on the balcony viewing the glaciers--IT WAS VERY COLD!!!



















I think my next post will be about the food, but I had to put this picture here of the piece of Baked Alaska that our little waiter gave my mother-in-law. My MIL is a tiny little thing that couldn't begin to eat that piece--so her son ate it














We are having a great time. Eating WEIGH, WEIGH, WEIGH too much--yes, I know that isn't how I should spell "way" but believe me that is a more appropriate spelling!!!

Let me just post this last picture of me and my sweet hubby. Yes, he did go with me to a dance class--we are now EXPERTS at doing the cha, cha, cha!!! SURE WE ARE.



28 comments:

Corrine said...

Yeah I am first :)

Love the picture of you and your husband. Great one. glad y'all took dance class together, something you should be able to enjoy even at home.

the glaciers are amazing and it looks cold just looking at it.

glad you are having fun even if I miss your comments :)

glittersmama said...

Thanks for sharing your fabulous pictures. I think it is so beautiful there. Maybe that will be my next vacation. Have fun!

PJ said...

I bet the glaciers are amazing! I know that baked Alaska is!

Keep having a great time...I insist!

[Somebody Loved] said...

Yvonne,
I love reading about your travels. I live vicariously through you & Allan. It is always so refreshing to see [fairy tales] come true. By that I mean when 2 people get married... weather the storms... handle the mundane & when all is said and done. They are still in love & each others best friend.
I truly admire you both. What a lovely couple & example you are.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

ps. I have never tried Baked Alaska, after seeing that photo, I really want too.

Tiffany said...

Oh I am so glad you are having a good time. I love the pictures. The glaciers look so gorgeous and cold at the same time. Love the picture of you and your hubby. You are a very handsome couple!:) Yay for the cha-cha!

annie said...

It all sounds like so much fun and how beautiful! Love the picture of you two!

JustRandi said...

the pictures are wonderful! I'm so glad you're having a great time. And heavens, we'll still all be here when you get back, so don't worry about us. Have tons more fun!!

Chelli said...

I never thought I'd want to go on a cruise to Alaska, until I saw your pictures! It's gorgeous! I'm glad you're having a good time.

(We started our ballroom class last week and our first dance was the CHA-CHA. It's fun, isn't it?)

Klin said...

That picture of you and Alan is beautiful. You are a gorgeous couple.

Glacier bay looks wonderful AND cold.

Don't worry about commenting and reading all our stuff. It will still be there when you return home. :)

Just have fun and keep bringing us along.

Suzanne said...

That's a lot of ice! I love the pic of you and your hubby dressed up. You both look so happy. I'm glad you were able to make it to your dance class! :) And that dessert looks simply divine!

Thanks so much for your sweet package! You are always thinking of others and you really made my day by sending it! :)

Nancy Face said...

I just LOVE the picture of the two of you, and the other ones are great, too! :)

Thank you for the shout out for Lauren and Ted. You're so sweet to us! :)

Millie said...

Wow, that does look cold. :) How fun for you and your family! Glad you're having a great time!

Tonya said...

I'm so glad that your having a wonderful time. Awesome pictures of the ice. I'm sure it barely scratches the surface of what it's like in person. Keeping having fun. We'll be here when you get back.

Lucy said...

Don't worry about keeping up with everybody. Just have a good time. And *sigh*.....I really wish I really was really there.

Lucy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Glacier Bay looks amazing! And cold :)
Love that picture of you and your hubby. Yvonne, you look fantastic :D

Heffalump said...

Sounds like SO much fun! Now I want some baked Alaska...which I have never tried but it sure looks good!
Thanks for the comment. Its even more special knowing it was a hassle for you and you still took the time to leave it for me.

Doran & Jody said...

Looks like you are having a grand time!!!

Chel said...

Awesome pictures!

Glad to hear you are having a wonderful time and are safe!

hugs to you.

utmommy said...

Wow! That looks beautiful!

...and the food looks fabulous! I would definitly not have a hard time eathing that.

aubrey said...

i love that pic of you and your husband! and those glaciers are amazing! thanks for sharing, yvonne!

Sheri said...

I have to ditto what Sheila said! I was reading your blog when my husband came in and asked who you were, I said a great lady that lives in Canada and proceeded to tel him about this crise you are on... he looked at me funny and asked how I knew you? I replied through blogging of course! He thinks I am nuts!! I only wish I knew you in person! I love to read your posts and enjoy traveling with you!!

Magirk said...

I'm glad to hear you did the dance class! Isn't the cha cha fun?? :-)

Those pictures of the Bay are absolutely beautiful! I can always count on beautiful, captivating pictures on your blog - I love it! ;-D

Especially the last one of you with your sweetheart. So nice. ;-)

txmommy said...

wow! that is breathtaking, so beautiful!

your food pics are making me hungry!

I LOVE the picture of you and Allan, it is awesome, you look so pretty.

Ashley said...

What a great picture! My husband is the one always wanting to take a dance class. :0) The Glaciers look absolutely gorgeous. I really think Alaska would be a great cruise. Don't have to tell me about the weigh-ing too much! I gained six pounds in one week! I loved every bite of it too!

Jodi said...

Oh that is beautiful, just beautiful! And I am only talking about the Baked Alaskan!!! I am now craving it thank you!!!!

The scenery is pretty spectacular as well! Thanks for sharing your amazing trip with those of us that will only see it this way!!!

Yvonne said...

Everyone:

All is going well. I will try and do a post tomorrow.
I wish I was a better photographer. You won't believe it but on Sunday we saw 50 (yes, 50) whales. It was AMAZING!!! They were spouting and then you would see the tails. I just wish they had breached so I could have gotten a GREAT picture.

You are all so sweet to read and leave such nice comments.

Holly said...

Beautiful pictures. Especially the one of you and Allan. Lovely. It looks like you're having such fun. I want to do the Alaska tour someday.