Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life Always Changes

There has been a lot of things going on—many that I haven’t been able to tell you about because we have not had internet. I still have not been able to post pictures, so I cannot show you all the delicious meals and fun food displays. Allan and I had a fun time at our Samba class. There for awhile I was able to get on and read blogs—it would have been a great thing to do on sea days, but basically the whole trip across the ocean was without the internet.

I do not like not being able to connect with my family. I miss my kids so much—at least when I get an e-mail from them I feel connected (it’s that control thing ; )

Allan and I are now alone on the cruise—my MIL and two SIL’s got off the ship Sunday morning in Japan. Bev called home on Saturday because her husband had been to the doctor for some tests. The news was not good and she needed to get home ASAP. Allan and I have struggled with whether we should get off the ship or not. After prayer and much discussion, we decided to stay on until Beijing. (There really is nothing we can do if we go home to Winnipeg) Bev wants us to go on and take lots of pictures so she can enjoy the trip through us. So that is what we are going to try to do.

My thoughts will be with my sweet brother-in-law. There are three things I want each of you to know about him—first, I can’t hear the phrase “he would give you the shirt off his back” without thinking of him; and second, he is the best missionary I have ever seen—he will talk to anyone, ANYWHERE!!! Finally, he just loves Bev so much. Bev and Homer were married about 5 years after Allan and I--and to watch Bev has be so happy has been wonderful. My heart is breaking for her.

We have been to Muroran, Japan. We went on a great tour--road a gondola up to Mt. Usu. We saw some beautiful scenery. We also went to the hot springs near Lake Toya. The landscape was absolutely gorgeous--dense forest and rolling countryside. We even got to practice some of our Japanese when we bought ice cream.

Yesterday we went to Vladivostok, Russia. It took a long time before we could ever get off the ship in Russia--you have to wait for the officials to get on board and look at everyone's passports. We docked at like 5:00 a.m. and were not allowed off the ship until near 8:30. Allan and I walked into town. My SIL, Gerry, wanted t-shirts for her kids so we went all over looking for a souvenier shop--not an easy task. This was an interesting city--the women were very fashion conscious. All the women wore heals with EVERYTHING!!! I have a picture of one of the Russian soldiers in her uniform (pants, heavy jacket, hat) with a pair of heals. It was interesting.

As we were walking the streets, trying to find the shop we ran into two missionaries. It was so fun to visit with them for a couple of minutes. One was from Mesa and the other from Las Vegas. They gave us directions to the souvenier shop, we slipped them a couple of dollars for a hamburger and went on our way. I could have kicked myself for not getting a picture.

Thanks for all your comments--Just wanted to check in with all of you and let you know we are doing well. I just know one day I will be able to get on and read all your blogs. (I miss you all) I want to know how all of you are doing--and I want to hear all about the Women's Broadcast, so I'm going to go and find a blog where someone has posted all about it.

Hugs to all of you.




22 comments:

PJ said...

So good to hear from you Yvonne!

Our prayers are with your Bil and family. So sorry to hear that.

Japan, Russia, and you still feed the missionaries! What a couple ;D

Doran & Jody said...

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Here is wishing good luck for your brother-in-law and the family.

Chel said...

YAY! I saw Lake Toya when I was in Japan - it is breathtaking. How fun for you to be there!!

My heart is breaking for Bev. We will all keep them in our prayers.

I love the story of the missionaries... oh, what was his name? Mesa?? so cool! Wouldn't it be fun to contact his parents! I love how you slipped them some money. LOVE IT!

carolyne b said...

Yvonne,
I am so glad to here that you are enjoying your trip with Allan. Sorry to hear about your BIL. I hope that things go better. will you be back before General Conference? Take care and see you when you get home.

JustRandi said...

I'm so glad you're having fun!!

My BIL travels a lot and whenever he sees the missionaries he gets their picture and their moms' email addresses so he can pass it on with a note. I always thought that was such a great idea.
Of course now that I have a missionary, I think it's an even better idea! ;)

Millie said...

We miss you too! My friend Sariah always takes good notes on the General RS meeting and posts them.

Hope your BIL is all better soon.

Jodi said...

I am glad you stayed so your SIL can experience it through you. I can NOT wait to see the photos! I hope you got some of all the whales!

I know you are worried about your BIL, but there is really nothing you can do, so enjoy the rest of it FOR HIM! I will keep them in my prayers!

[Somebody Loved] said...

Sorry to hear that there is some sad news. I pray Heavenly Father will take care of them. It is hard to enjoy a trip when you are worried... but I admire your desire to continue for Bev. Once you get back home it will be fun to see all of your photos. I don't know if I could handle being cut off from family for so long. With me it a control issue too. It sounds like your trip has been amazing.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law. Hopefully everything will be okay!
It does sound like you are have a great trip though.
I love that you were able to stop and talk to the missionaries!! They will probably write home about the Canadians that gave them some money for burgers :)

Klin said...

That's sad about your BIL. We will add him and his family to our prayer list.

Glad your having fun and I look forward to the pictures.

aubrey said...

thanks for the update..it sounds like you're having so much fun! i can't wait to see pictures.

i am sorry about your BIL, he sounds like an awesome guy.

Corrine said...

so sorry to hear about your brother in law. glad you are able to stay and finish out your trip. wow didn't realize you were going around the world.

Chelli said...

Sorry for the bad news. I think that would be a hard decision to stay on the cruise. Bev was very gracious in asking you to go on and photograph your adventures to share with her. Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Call/email the family while you have cell coverage/internet!!

Nancy Face said...

I'm so sorry about the issues that are worrying you. I'll pray for Bev and Homer. (((HUGS)))

I'm so glad you're able to post! I miss you! :)

txmommy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your BIL, I hope things will work out well.

Try and enjoy your trip, what an awesome experience to see all those countries and how fun to run into some missionaries!

Tori :) said...

I will pray for your BIL and his family. :(

I'm so glad to hear your trip is going awesome. Can't wait for pics!

utmommy said...

Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time. I got my postcard from you today. Thanks for thinking of me!!!

So sorry about your BIL. I hope all will be well with him and his family.

annie said...

Hi Yvonne!
Sorry about your BIL. I pray that everything is okay.
Your trip sounds like it is amazing and you are seeing wonderful things! Be safe! You are missed in bloggyville.

Sheri said...

My internet has been down for a week and so I am playing catch up! so sorry to hear bad news for your family!I am sure God is watching over all of you! Enjoy the rest of your trip and againg thanks for sharing!! I am sure you made the year for those missionaries!!

Tonya said...

I will your brother-in-law in my thoughts and prayers Yvonne.

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear about your Brother-in-law. :( I offer our thoughts and prayers as well.
I am glad that you are still able to enjoy the rest of your cruise. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

sogratefultobemormon.wordpress.com said...

sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

i know what you mean. i also do not like to have no connection possible between my hubby, teens, or closest friend.

the women's broadcast .. my favorite part was listening to pres. u. speak. i was on the edge of my seat. he was so interesting and humorous, too. i was glued to him until his last word. if you haven't gotten a chance to yet, go check out his talk on the LDS website. i was so moved by his talk.

blessings,
kathleen

PS. i am a buddy of PJ's