Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Food

I'm not quite sure how to do all my posts from the cruise, but I will figure it out and eventually get things together. I'm still trying to get caught up on my sleep!!! Not to mention trying to get back to teaching seminary and have Stake Conference this weekend.

I started this post while we were on the cruise, but since I couldn't post pictures just put it in my draft folder--sure hope I get the tenses correct when I post it.

I must have written this right after txmommy commented she had no desire to cruise now because I talked about the rough seas. They were rough, but I have never gotten sick. At night it's like being rocked to sleep. IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

Now in case I haven't convinced you, let me try with some pictures of the wonderful food.

I so wanted to take a picture of my plate each night, but always remembered AFTER I Had EATEN!—and face it, all you’d see is an empty plate. And then I thought maybe I just don’t want you to see the evidence of how much I ate ; )

The food on this cruise was very good. We keep remembering the days when we used to eat so much more—if you can believe it, the first cruise we went on in 1986 to the South Pacific, a normal dinner would consist of the following:

Appetizer
Soup
Salad
Pasta
Entrée
Desserts—ususally two or three (and I don’t mean bites!!!)
Not to mention, the usual 2 – 3 rolls with butter

I must have had a pretty good metabolism because I know I probably gained maybe 8 or 9 pounds but we were gone for almost 3 weeks and I ate like that EVERY DAY!!!! I didn't have all of those things on this trip (thank goodness). I did, however, still gain 8 pounds ; (

I found a way around breakfast—Allan would walk each morning around 5:30. I get up around 6:00 and read or get on the internet. He comes back to the room with fruit and yogurt—so much better than eating an omelette, French toast, and sausage along with the fruit every morning.

At lunch we usually go to the buffet. Everything was so delicious and there was quite a selection. (It’s a good thing it is up on Deck 14. In fact, that’s probably one of the things that’s saving my bacon. We hadn’t been on the elevator once—we started the cruise on Deck 9 (and after my MIL and 2 SIL's got off moved to Deck 10), our dining room is on Deck 6, the fitness center is on Deck 15.







Here are a couple of pictures of my dinner plates. I am usually not very adventuresome when it comes to food—guess I want to be sure I like what I ordered. Well, one night I decided to try something I have never tried—escargot. They were pretty good—they were in a garlic/marinara sauce. I haven't had any trouble with my sinuses--I guess it's the horseradish on my prime rib, and wasabi with my suishi.

















This was my toronadoes of beef--looks a little rare, but it just melted in your mouth.
















We all loved Italian night—I had prosciutto with cantalope, Fagoli soup (and now aurora posted a recipe so I'm excited to try it), spinach salad with bacon bits and pine nuts, and then veal scallopini with marsala sauce. It was delicious. Our little waiter is so cute—he just loves my MIL He is trying to give us 2 desserts each night—JUST WHAT WE ALL DO NOT NEED!!!!


















A couple of other desserts:I bought the Princess cookbook which has the recipe for these "sugar-free" chantilly swans. I told my MIL when I go to Utah at Christmas she can make these for me ; )















This is one of our favorites--chocolate souffle with vanilla sauce.















One afternoon they had a beautiful chocolate display—yum, everything LOOKED so good. I enjoyed all of the desserts that I ate (notice that is PLURAL!!!)
















Sidenote: My brother-in-law, Homer, passed away Monday night. Since Stake Conference is this weekend and Allan has to be here, we will leave on Sunday after our meetings and fly to Reno for the funeral there. We will then fly to Utah and spend a few days with Bev. (I'm so glad I talked to Homer on the phone on Sunday evening.) I'm so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge that families are eternal.

How grateful I am for family. Our sweet little Brent put a wonderful message for Homer on our family website. Brent is so tender, and he loved Homer so much. When Brent went on his mission, I think Homer was as excited for him as Allan and I were.




26 comments:

Klin said...

So sorry to hear about your BIL. There is always sadness when someone moves on to the other side of the veil.

YOU TRIED ESCARGOT!!! I was never brave enough to do that.

You are so right about being rocked to sleep every night. I love cruising. I have never been on one with rough seas, though. I still think I'd be fine. I loved going to sleep and waking up in a different location without having to do the driving.

The food is so good on ships. Room service is my favorite and it's included with the cost, so no extra dinero to eat in my room- on the balcony. Yeah, I was spoiled on my cruise.

*sorry for the novel*

txmommy said...

now I TOTALLY want to go on a cruise!!

Ashley said...

I am sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law. I too am glad for the plan of salvation. It is so wonderful to know we can all be together again.

We did order escargot. It was really good. I have to say the lobster we had was some of best I ever tasted. I loved being rocked to sleep everynight. I loved everything about our cruise. I can not wait to go again.

aurora said...

Oh, sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. It is definitely a comfort knowing about the Plan of Salvation.

I don't think that I could control myself around all of those food buffets!

JustRandi said...

Ok, I have never been on a cruise, but you are making me desperately want to go!!
I love all your adventures.
Now I've gotta go find some chocolate.

(I'm so sorry about your bil. You're right about the plan of salvation. There's just something about knowing this is not the end.)

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Isn't it nice to know you will see him again in the hereafter?:)
Wow, yummy food. And, you ate snails?! You are brave, and balogna to the adventerous, you are!
I am so glad you had a wonderful time.

carolyne b said...

Yvonne, You are so right, I am so greatful to have the gospel and the knowledge that goes with it. My FIL past away this past April and while everyone was and still are walking around with tears. I smile and think about the person he was and know that one day the family members who cry everyday will see him again. Maybe not be with him, ---Celestial, Trestrial and Telestial thing happening there.
So sorry to hear about your BIl but I am glad you were able to talk to him, prior to his return to our Heavenly Fathers house.

[Somebody Loved] said...

The desserts looked the best... no wonder you had to eat them.

Condolences for your brother-in-law I am so sorry. It is a difficult time for those left behind. Warm hugs.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

PJ said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all, and your BIL's family....I'm so sorry.

Your post made me gain 5lbs...thanks a lot! ;D

Tori :) said...

I'm sorry about Homer. :( I hope your family finds peace during this time.


I had escargot years ago- but not on our cruise. When people ask about our cruise THE FOOD is the 1st thing Sei talks about!

annie said...

I've never eaten escargot. It always reminds me of a silly skit we did once at church camp pretending to eat escargot.

So sorry about your BIL.

Lei said...

Looks DELISH! Glad you didn't skimp on the yummy stuff! ;)

Melissa said...

Yvonne - I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. You are right though - the knowledge of the plan of salvation is such an amazing gift.

I've never been on a cruise, but would love to go someday! Not sure I would be brave enough to try escargot though... :D

Amber said...

Anyone who watches their weight on a cruise is NUTS. My goal for our next cruise? Lose weight before so I can eat as much as I want!

I am so sorry for your loss. :-(

Chelli said...

This is a tough time for your family and I'm pulling for you. You'll probably find that Stake Conference will give you the spiritual boost you need to get through the funeral, to be a help to Brent and your BIL's family. The Church is true and I'm so grateful for the knowledge we have that there is more -- much more -- after our mortal life has ended!

(The food looked too good. I don't think I can go on a cruise... I would probably eat so much that I would have to be dragged behind as an extra floatation device on the way home...)

Crazy Mom of Four said...

So sorry to hear about Homer. My prayers go out to you and your family.

As far as food goes, that all looks so yummy especially the heart chocolate thing....can't believe you took pictures of the food you ate :) thats fun

Chel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Homer. Isn't it wonderful to believe and know that families are forever? I hope you find comfort during this time and that Bev can feel the many prayers being offered.

WOW! The food! You did good gaining only 8 lbs. You're my hero! The pounds will be off in no time once you go back from eating like that to eating "normal" again!
Your sweet sweet MIL. Isn't she a beauty!?

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your BIL passing. :( What a blessing to know that we can see our loved ones again!

Wow! The food sounds incredible!! If we go on a cruise next year I'll have to lose weight before I go just to make up for what I'll gain! ;)

Yvonne said...

First of all, thanks to everyone for your comments about Homer's passing. As I mentioned, it is comforting at times like this to have an understanding of the plan of salvation--it has brought all of us a great deal of peace. We do know that we will see him again.

klin: I had to try the escargot.

I used to love to have breakfast on the balcony in my room.

Love the "novel".

txmommy: And you MUST!!!

ashley: I love lobster and I have to agree, it is so good on the ship.

aurora: Control is so hard on a cruise ; )

justrandi: Wherever you go when you're on a cruise there is food, food, and more food ; )

tiffany: It truly was a wonderful time.

carolynne b: Thanks.

sheila: The desserts were DELICIOUS!

pj: All the food was so wonderful--it was really worth every pound.

tori: The food is always so good--we always laugh because someone once talked about feeling like cattle being led to the trough--and I have to admit that is a pretty good description ; )

annie: I never thought I'd every eat it ; )

lei: It was all delicious.

melissa: I thought I would try a couple of new things--I knew I wouldn't starve ; )

amber: I tried to lose weight so the pounds that I gained wouldn't matter, but didn't quite lose enough.

chelli: We've always joked that it's a good thing they don't charge us by the pound when we get off!!!

crazy mom: All the food was delicious. I really should have done a better job of taking pictures of it ; )

chel: Every one of those pounds I gained was worth it--I just have to get back to exercising and then the weight will come off.

Yeah, my MIL is such a lovely woman.

amanda: I think that is the trick to really lose more weight before you go--I had enough trouble trying to lose what I did ; )

Nancy Face said...

I am so sorry about the passing of your dear brother-in-law Homer. I'm glad you can be there for his funeral service.

Nancy Face said...

I sure did love reading this post...I mean, it's about FOOD!!!

Everything looks and sounds scrumptious and amazing! You might have even convinced me to try escargot some day, tee hee! :D

We had 30 slices of cheesecake left over after Lauren and Ted's wedding reception. We took them home and put them in the freezer. They were gone after 3 weeks or so, and I probably ate almost half of them myself! Gee, it was fun gaining those 7 pounds, haha! :D

Holly said...

If you only gained 8 lbs, I'm impressed. I'd have gained 15, just from the dessert table!! I'm sorry about your BIL.

Doran & Jody said...

Oh drool, except for that fishy stuff!!

Heffalump said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your brother in law. Even though it's only temporary, its still an ache to miss people when they go.
I don't think I could eat Escargot. We raised snails as pets at one point and I just don't think I could eat them now. In fact, our snails names were Esc and Argot and then they had babies and I became overwhelmed with snails. I used to joke about selling them to a restaurant.

Whitney said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Homer :( It's always hard to lose someone, but it does make it easier to know that you will see them again :)
I know I would have gained more than 8 pounds, you probably have a higher metabolism than me!

Magirk said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Homer.

Though, I also know the sweet comfort that comes from knowing the truth about what is next after this life. It truly does take the sting out of death, though sometimes my memories do still carry a little of that pang of heartache at times.

It sounds like he was a wonderful person, and well worthy of his rest and peace after this life!