Friday, October 17, 2008

Some Highlights

I don't want to drag my whole vacation/cruise thing out for days (I really feel like I did that with Hawaii ; ) I'm going to try and write in this post about everything up until China--it may be a little long, so SORRY.

Sometimes it is so hard to imagine how big these cruise ships are getting. Our first cruise was on the original Pacific Princess--yes, that's the original one used in The Love Boat ; ) It had something like 650 passengers. The ship we were on this time (the Diamond) holds something like 2800 passengers. The length of this ship was 946 feet and it is 15 stories high (well considering there is no deck 13 not sure if it is actually 14 because you can even go higher than the 15th deck, but not by elevator ; ) The anchor weighs something like 15 tons!!!
















I realize that while on the cruise the last time I was able to post pictures was when we were in Glacier Bay--believe me that was a ton of pictures ago ; ) (By the way, would anyone like to guess just HOW MANY pictures I took on this trip--counting all the ones that I will put in the trash???)

When we finished our cruising in Glacier Bay we went to College Fjords. It contains several glaciers that are named for colleges on the East Coast of the U.S.

From there we went to Kodiak, Alaska. I wanted you all to see the pictures of the crabpots--this is my SIL, Gerry, standing next to them so you can see how big they are!!!

















Here's some information on the whole deadliest catch thing--well actually it's on crabbing in the frozen north. I love when they have these little displays and I always take pictures of them--it helps me to remember what I saw and what I learned.

















When we left Kodiak, we started our 5 or 6 day adventure (and what an adventure) across the ocean. I have always loved sea days, but unfortunately didn't use my time wisely and wasted way too much time ; ( Allan and I did work on scripture mastery--tackling a new scripture every day. I didn't read as much as I should have or get as many seminary lessons done as I would have liked, but it was nice anyway.

On Sundays we were able to hold a little Church meeting. We usually find other members of the Church who join us, but we never came across one on this trip. We each took turns doing a lesson so we didn't get behind in Sunday School. (We also had a spiritual thought each night--I always love hearing my MIL's thoughts--she is an amazing woman. By the way, I was so touched by Amanda's post about the evidence all around that God really does exist--go here to read it.)




I already wrote about our time in Muroran, Japan. One of the things we did was share an ice cream cone. We were pretty excited because we actually got what we thought we ordered!!!! It tasted great.












When we were in these countries we were so surprised to see vending machines every where!!!



























One of the things I got to do when we were at Lake Toyo was put my feet in the hot springs--such a fun thing to do. By the way, Lake Toyo was the site of the G-8 Summit in July 2008. (I just wanted to share with you some of what I learned ; )




















The next day we were in Vladivostok, Russia, which I talked about in this post. I just wanted to share this picture of one of the soldiers--notice her shoes ; )























Then it was off to Pusan, South Korea. What an amazing city. We didn't do an organized tour but caught a shuttle bus and went to town--first stop: THE FISH MARKET. Just want to give you a little look at some of what we saw.
































The women that worked in the fish market were amazing--so hard-working, doing everything.
























I googled about this market and found that the women are the ones that basically began the fish market. What I read is that these married women who are called ajumas are very tough--they work doing the dirty work of cleaning and processing the seafood, while staying very devoted to their families. I assume their husbands are out on the boats doing the fishing ; )







This was an amazing port--very busy. When you are with a transportation guy, you always have to take pictures of container ships--but notice the city in the background. (I lost track of how many container ships there were ; )


















From Pusan we headed to Kagoshima--where we had the wonderful experience with the children. We went to Iso Gardens which was created by a ruler in the 1600's. It was gorgeous.

















Our next stop was in Dalian, China. I will write all about China in my next post.

Sidenote #1: I AM A GREAT GRANDMOTHER. My little great grandson, Zander, was born Wednesday morning. Mother and son are doing fine. I better get busy finishing his blanket--which is looking pretty good. (Notice my cute little bag that contains my crochet stuff--thanks NCS ; )




















Sidenote #2: On Wednesday Allan flew to Toronto to pick up Kyle's car. I felt bad that he had to drive it on his own. Kyle was so glad to see his dad--well, maybe it was the car ; ) I guess you could say HE WAS JUMPING FOR JOY. I think he's now very happy he had his dishwasher job so he could save the money to pay for the car!!!
















Sidenote #3: Al that "jumping" got Kyle ready for his volleyball game that afternoon, where I captured the perfect shot.

















29 comments:

Chel said...

Wow! I don't even know where to start. I love it all. So many wonderful things you saw and did. It is all so very fascinating to me. I hope we can sit down and look through all the pictures! I'd love to hear more of your stories and your thoughts. I love it.

...but I'm so glad you're back!

Tell Kyle that he gave the saying, "white men can't jump" a new meaning! :) He's so cute!

Chel said...

oh yes.. and how did I forget? You give being a great-grandmother a whole new meaning... hot, young and hip. lucky lucky grandkids!

[Somebody Loved] said...

I surely hope that the economy doesn't have a negative influence on our plans to go on an Alaskan fishing trip next summer. I have watched that show... Deadliest Catch. Very interesting!

I blog like a girl too!

The Russian soldiers in those shoes? No way! That has to go. Can you imagine trying to run after someone in those?

The 'fish market' stuff...yuck! Not adventurous enough to eat that.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

Klin said...

How is that guard going to chase anyone in those shoes?

Congrats on your new addition to the family. I take my blog bag to work. Everyday.

Hooray for Kyle and his new car. How exciting.

Those fishy pics grossed me out. I'd have gone vegan for sure after weeing those in person. Only for the trip, of course.

Chelli said...

GREAT pictures from a great trip!

I am learning how to crochet too and have almost finished a baby blanket. Too bad I don't know anyone that is having a baby girl...

Those shoes on the Russian soldian can probably be classified as lethal weapons. Sure, she can't run in them, but if you think like "Get Smart" there's probably some firing device in the heel... ;-)

Holly said...

I just love reading about your trip. It looks like such fun. Congratulations GREAT-Grandma!!!

Lauren said...

Kyle really has some sweet skills. Jumping, svaing money...washing dishes. That's awesome.

I love that, that lady is wearing stilletos! What the?

Those octopus look...slimish.

Melissa said...

So amazing! Your trip looks so fantastic!! I can't wait to hear more about China. You can drag out your vacation for as long as you want. I LOVE reading about it :)
Congrats on being a Great Grandma! That's wonderful news :D
And I love the pictures of Kyle. He must be part Tigger or something!

carolyne b said...

Loved to hear about your adventures. I can't believe that the Russian soldier could run with heals like that. Glad your back, look forward to seeing you at stake conference this weekend.

Tiffany said...

What an adventure for you and your hubby. Love the "shoes" on the soldier. She could use them as a weapon if needs be.
Congratulations on becoming a GGrandma.:) Glad you are back safely. Thanks for sharing pictures with all of us.

Doran & Jody said...

Yuck, yuck on the fish market. Eww makes me queezy.
Fun, fun on the rest.

JustRandi said...

I love these pictures! You could post them all day long for days and I would love to see them!!

Tonya said...

Oh my, I can't even imagine a ship that big. It must really be a sight to see in person. Amazing what they can do these days.

Who could blame you for having a bunch of posts on this trip. After all it was the trip of a lifetime. Post away. After all, it is your blog. I'm glad you had a good time.

PJ said...

I don't mind all the posts, I've been anxious to hear and see more!

My bishop just left on a cruise, and he was so excited to find out they could conduct a small sacrament meeting.

I love the garden picture, so beautiful:)

That picture of Kyle jumping for joy will is great, he'll enjoy that picture for years.

Sheri said...

Thanks so much for sharing! It sounds like a fabulous trip! Congratulations on becoming a great grandma!

annie said...

I can't get over those shoes!!! How could she work in those? How much were the cokes in that vending machine?

Ashley said...

Congratulations on the new little one. I love that mint green color. The blanket is looking so pretty.

Women over here have it real good. No working in the fish market. We should NEVER complain. Wow those shoes, I just wear flats now. I can not even imagine wearing those all day.

Amber said...

I laughed at the car jumping shot. :-) And don't ever feel like you're dragging out your posts. You go to such amazing places that I just loooooove reading about them!

So, where's the next trip? :-)

Crazy Mom of Four said...

wowsers how fun! congrats on being a great grandmother, hard to believe you are old enough to be one...

and i can't believe the shoes on the guard, holy cow!

Heffalump said...

You know, Omar is having a photo assignment right now and these pics would go perfect for it...the jumping ones I mean.

Whitney said...

That looks and sounds like it was so much fun!!!! I want to go on a cruise and see a lot of different places!
I'm amazed that huge cruise ships like that, that weigh SO much, can stay afloat.

Grandma A said...

Hi, I am Txmommy's Mom. I have been reading your blog on and off and just love it. You are a fascinating woman.
Your adventures are so exciting and interesting. Now I have to back track and read what I have missed on your blog.
We are in Utah now and if you have time while you are here for the funeral and are not too far away, I would love to meet you, if you have the time.
If you want to, give me an e-mail and I will give you my phone number.
narhets@hotmail.com

Lei said...

Great pictures... love them, thanks so much for sharing what you learned and enjoyed with us!

I've been struck by the choice of shoes for many of the women in some of my travels abroad... confirmed the suspicion that we Americans are far too casual. Lol!

Mel said...

Wow, what an amazing trip!

Gotta love the soldiers shoes. The Pusan fish market looks nasty.

I love the name Zander (used it as a middle name for my son) ... Congratulations!

Nancy Face said...

SOOO much to comment on! I'm so excited to know you had a cruise on The Love Boat...I always liked watching that show! :D

My guess is that you took 789 pictures. I am NOT a good guesser!

I've never even heard of crabpots before...I am foolish! ;)

I love that you shared spiritual thoughts each night and held little church meetings with lessons! :)

The soldier's shoes are hilarious to me! :D

I LOVE the pictures from the fish market...not sure if that's a platter full of octopus or squid, but EWWW! The fish are so colorful, and my favorites are the ones with their mouths hanging open, haha! :D

I would love to see Iso Gardens...that is my absolute favorite picture in this post...so gorgeous! :)

Awww...Zander is such a cute name, and his blanket is so nice! He has the youngest, prettiest, and sweetest great grandmother EVER! :)

I'm happy for Kyle! What a nice, shiny car, YAY! :D

LarryG said...

wow drag out for days, and weeks,!
cruises are awesome - thanks for sharing !!!

Lippy said...

Glad I came by today to see all the great happy stuff you had to post about. I really must consider one of these cruises on the newer ships. I mean the Titanic was fun and all, but...

Congrats on the new arrival GREAT Grandma! God bless :)

Jodi said...

I just love these pictures! MORE! MORE! MORE!!! It turns my stomach at the fish and other nasty things they actually eat! Of course when I got to the delicious chocolate night on your cruise ship photos....I was totally drooling!

So sorry about your BIL.

Rebecca Talley said...

Wow, wow, wow. What an amazing trip. Your photos are great. My grandma loved cruise ships and loved to travel. I don't travel much because I still have many kids at home, but someday . . . .