Friday, November 7, 2008

Grateful to be Alive

Let me explain:

My husband cooks Sunday dinner, and he is an amazing cook. This past Sunday (fast Sunday--now for those who do not know what that is: once a month we fast for two meals--go without food and drink--and donate the money we would have spent on those two meals to the poor) we sat down to a dinner of roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, and nice, warm rolls.

Back to our dinner: Allan said, "the chicken doesn't smell right". He took a bite and said, "Eew". You have to know my husband has an iron stomach--he can eat anything and he and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to food being in the fridge or freezer or even the pantry too long. So for him to say it didn't smell right must have meant it was pretty bad. But, you guessed it, he kept on eating. And, so did Kyle. I, on the other hand, took one bite and that was enough for me.

So, I said, "Gosh, I hope we're not dead by morning."

So I'm grateful to report WE ARE STILL ALIVE.

Now, just to let you know, this chicken was in our freezer for less than a year and we haven't had any problem with the freezer, so we don't know what the problem was.

Sidenote #1: We did have a pretty good snowstorm last night. As I was driving one of my Seminary students to school I mentioned to her I really don't like the street we were on because of all the ditches and I didn't want to end up in the ditch. Low and behold there was a city bus in the ditch. I'm grateful we didn't end up in the ditch, too.

Sidenote #2: I'm grateful for all my Seminary students who braved the slippery roads and came to Seminary this morning. We worked hard today on Scripture Mastery--a week from tomorrow is another challenge against the adults and the youth REALLY want to win. (Shhh, don't tell them, but I think they have a pretty good chance ; )

Remember my fall picture I posted a couple of days ago, here's the same area today

12 comments:

[Somebody Loved] said...

I am grateful you survived the bad chicken too. Sometimes there really isn't a rhyme or reason... I am happy you are oK. Love the snowy picture. That is one thing I love and rarely get to see here in the desert.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Amanda said...

I am glad the chicken didn't make you sick! Yuck!
Sorry you got snow too. Glad that you didn't end up in the ditch with the bus. Yikes!

Good luck on your scripture challenge. :)

Klin said...

Go youth!!!

So sad and bad about the chicken. Eeeeewwww. I so don't like spoiled food. The dinner sounded great! Makes me want to come over and have dinner with you on Sunday.

Chel said...

I am VERY grateful you are all still alive. Grateful indeed!!

I can't believe the snow. yuck. I guess I shouldn't complain that this morning it was only 60 something and barely hit 80. :)

Chelli said...

Allan is soooo brave. I never mess with chicken. If I'm scared for one second that it has gone bad, I throw it away. I guess I'm chicken with chicken. :-) yes, I'm glad you're all alive this week.

You got a lot more snow than we did. I wonder if the storm that went over you is the same one that came over us and it just picked up momentum as it moved eastward. Should I wish you Happy Holidays?

Tiffany said...

Glad you survived the chicken. Did you ever find out what was wrong with it?
Wow, lots of snow, and what a pretty picture! We got maybe 1/4 inch the other day, and now it's gone.
Good luck to your seminary kids! I hope they win!:O)

sweetpea said...

SO glad you made it through alive! The snow is beautiful! Although I'm glad we don't have any yet. :)

Nancy Face said...

I can't even imagine snow like that! WOW! Your students sound great, and I think they'll win the challenge! :)

It's so disappointing when a beautiful meal is cooked, and there ends up being something wrong with the meat...SO SAD! I'm glad none of you got sick! :)

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with YOU, my sweet friend...but I just love quoting this line from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves":

"You whine like a mule...YOU ARE STILL ALIVE!"

Tee hee! :D

Tonya said...

I'm grateful you made it through the chicken also. Your back yard is amazing regardless of the season.

Crazy Mom of Four said...

i am glad you didn't end up in a ditch either, and glad that chicken didnt send you all to the hospital with a stomache pumping too :) and yes very glad you are alive!

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you didn't all get sick! Perhaps the chicken was bad to begin with. Sometimes grocery stores aren't very good at rotating things or labeling dates properly. I hope you continue to feel well!

annie said...

wow!
I'm so glad you all lived!