Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gratitude for Church

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have each Sunday to attend Church. When the meeting began and our opening hymn was "Where Can I Turn for Peace", I knew I was not alone.

We have been studying the Life of the Savior and the Atonement in Seminary. When I was in Utah a while ago, someone in Relief Society said when she was a little girl her grandma told her that if she understood the significance of The Sacrament she would crawl to get to the meeting. One of the reasons I am grateful for Church is because of the healing power of the Atonement.

I was also blessed by each of the talks given today:

A missionary who is going home next week bore a beautiful testimony.

The next speaker especially touched my heart--it was on forgiveness, and today I was not feeling very forgiving. (Hence, the greater need for the sacrament) I was also touched because it was given by one of my Seminary students. She mentioned she had learned in Seminary that the Savior suffered not only for her sins but also for her hurts and sorrows. It was cute when I went up to her after and thanked her for the talk and told her how I really needed to hear her words today, she said she was hoping that someone would benefit from what she said. (I sure did)

The next speaker talked about righteous traditions and reminded me of why it is so important to strive to teach our children. This young lady talked about her parents insisting that the children come home at least once a year. (She is one of ten children, and I believe she is from Jamaica) It was so sweet when she said how getting together every year has kept them close and it is why, when she was given this assignment to speak, the first people she turned to were brothers and sisters. I love when our family can get together and want my children to be close to each other and to know Allan and I are always there for them.

Our Bishop spoke last and he talked about Elder Wirthlin's talk--"Come What May, and Love It." I made reference to this talk a few posts ago. It isn't always easy to deal with the struggles we have, but they are there for our growth. At those times when the struggles seem too great, I know where to turn.

I hope this doesn't come off as a downer post or that it sounds like I'm being a whiner or a needy person. I am just being real. Every day life isn't a bowl of cherries, but I know that I can get through anything with the help of the Lord. He is always there. I worry that sometimes people read my blog and see my travels and think I don't know what problems are--I want people to know that life can get tough, but we can all get through it--no matter what IT is.

I'm grateful for what I heard, but more importantly, I'm grateful for what I felt.

I hope you have had a great Sunday.

10 comments:

Tori :) said...

We are very blessed to have the gospel in our lives.

annie said...

Church is a blessing in my life too!

Chel said...

I loved this! Definitely something to be grateful for.

Your grateful posts put mine to shame. I think I'll just enjoy yours for the rest of the time. :)

PJ said...

I felt very warm and good after church yesterday, I am so grateful for it.
Then after waiting an hour on Sam's choir practice, and then having tithing settlement...I felt well...very hungry! :D

Nancy Face said...

I especially enjoyed Sacrament Meeting yesterday, too. Our bishop shared some very wonderful examples of the blessings that come from paying our tithing. :)

aurora said...

I didn't get to attend church because I have two sick little kids and a hubby in China, so I really feel like I was fed by your post. Thanks!

Tonya said...

I know how you feel. Each Sunday when I enter the chapel I always feel as though I'm going home.

Chelli said...

Thanks again, for sharing your thoughts.

JustRandi said...

Church is definitely right up there on the Things I Am Grateful For list.
Thanks for the reminder!!

Magirk said...

Yvonne, I don't think I've ever heard you come off as a whiner, or whiney on your blog.

I always enjoy reading what you write and the thoughts that you share.

I'm terrible. I always look in my Google Reader and wonder which blogs to start with, and when I see yours I think that I'll wait because I like to save the best for last so that I can enjoy it and savor it. But that's not the best strategy, because I always seem to get so far behind!! And yours is one of the ones I always want to read!

I'm changing that strategy.

Anyway. You're right about life. the tough parts are as important as the really happy parts.

I confess I don't get too much out of Sacrament Meeting messages these days. We are having quite the time with these two twin toddlers - sometimes it makes me want to cry, wondering what's the point.

But we stick with it, because we want them all to know that this is where we go on Sundays, and this is why. So we just keep plugging along. But can I just say... IT'S REALLY HARD FOR ME!

There! How's THAT for whiney?? ;-D