Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gratitude for Friends

This is another post that I think will be difficult to write. I am so grateful for friends--friends who have always been there for me.

A month or so I was reading an article about friendship. (And, of course, I can't find it now. Basically, it was talking about the need to have friends of different ages. Many years ago, when I was young, I had lots of friends who were older and lots who were younger. It helped me a great deal. I can't say I just learned from the older ones--I learned a great deal from the younger ones, too..

Today, the same thing is true. I have friends my age and friends who are younger, and if you can even believe it, I even have friends who ARE OLDER THAN ME!!!!

My friends have been through so much with me. I still remember when I called my friend Priscilla who was serving with her husband on a mission in Paris after Allan and I had our first date. She was so excited. (In fact, a few months after Allan and I were married we went to visit them in Paris.)

My friend, Pat, was the first one who knew Allan was going to ask me out on our first date--actually, Allan went to see her husband and told him first (so I guess she was the second).

Both Pat and Priscilla are the kinds of friends that you go to see and even though it may have been a year or so since you last visited or even talked, you pick up like it was yesterday. They have kept me in line and I appreciate their honesty. They will tell me when I'm being dumb, and I love them for it.

Then there is , Mary, who lives in Toronto. We keep in touch via telephone and internet. She has been with me through some pretty tough family struggles. She is a great listener and helps me see things much clearer. Her husband, Bill, died in a plane crash when Kyle was just a baby. She is an amazing woman and I cherish our friendship.

I have many wonderful friends here in Winnipeg--friends that I know I will continue to keep in touch with long after we move away. (That's one of the benefits of living in different areas--you form friendships that stay with you even when you leave ; ) In fact today I was with one of those friends and she gave me an ornament. I wanted to post a picture of it, but it was blurry each time I tried. It is a Hallmark "Angel of Chocolate" ornament. (She knows me so well) Thanks, cory.

This whole blogging experience has given me an opportunity to develop some great friendships. Some of you I've had the privilege of meeting--some I look forward to meeting one day. I so appreciate the things I learn from you as I read your blog. So much has helped me to think about ways I can improve.

I'm going to go out on a limb and do something I very rarely do--I want to say something about all of you whose blogs I read on a regular basis. I could lose readers because you may not appreciate what I write, but I do appreciate all of you, so please forgive me if I don't capture exactly what you think your blog represents.

First of all, my DIL, Macy. Even though she is my DIL, I consider her a friend. She has only been my DIL for 3 years, and unfortunately we haven't had many opportunities to spend much time together. Macy is a very talented woman and is very smart and sometimes intimidates me (not that she tries, it's my insecurities that make me intimidated--it's not her fault ; ) She can sing, cook, and she has just taken up photography and has taken some amazing pictures that she has posted on her blog. (Of course, my favorite photos would have to be of my adorable grandson, Garrett ; ) When I talk about the 3 years that she has been my DIL, I think of my other DIL, Daphne--she has been my DIL for 20 years. Over those 20 years we have spent LOTS of time together and consequently are very close. No, she doesn't have a blog, but how can I write about one DIL and not the other ; ) I'm grateful for the friendship I enjoy with both Macy and Daph and especially grateful for the love that they share with their husbands--my sons.

Bloggers that are here in my area: Carolyne B. is a friend here--we are in different wards and it's wonderful when we see each other at Stake Conference. Before Theresa and Jess got married they were both YSA when Allan was the Bishop in their Ward. Both of them are fantastic women.

As far as other bloggers I have had the privilege of meeting: Nancyface and I will always be imaginary next-door neighbors and one day I'll go jogging with her (but it will have to be when it's not a zillion degrees outside ; ) She is so funny and positive--I love positive people and always hope some of that will rub off on me. I think her daughter, Lauren, is my youngest blogging buddy. Like her mom, she is so full of life, and I just adore her. I will always remember her link on my birthday to get me to get lots and lots of birthday wishes. Chel (who has a private blog) is a very dear friend--she feels more like a daughter. There is a connection--I'm sure we've been friends before ; ) Suzanne (whose blog is private) and I have met and I guess I knew her husband before she did--he served his mission in the area we lived in 1995 ; ) She is so incredibly sweet and we exchange e-mails quite often. I just love her. I still remember the first tag I ever had for a meme--it came from gina. She is such a lovely woman and a fantastic mom. I love her monthly letters to Liam. It was so fun when I was in Utah to meet up with UTmommy--she is so fun and such a sweetie. And even though I have not met her mom, and she doesn't have a blog, she is an instant friend. I can't wait to read all about her mission when they finally get their visas. I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet tori in person--I have read her blog FOREVER. She has a great sense of humor and a love of life and her family. I'm still waiting for another 911 post, tori. In fact, frankly, she was one of the big draws for my going to Oregon last summer--I really wanted to meet her. I still remember getting the e-mail from Amanda that she was going to Oregon, too. Aside from the bloggers that live here in the area, she is the closest in proximity. When she talks about her "lovely" weather I know what she's talking about. She is such a sweet woman. I had talked with klin on the phone and was happy to get a chance to meet her in Oregon, too. I love reading NCS's blog--she always makes me laugh--so clever. Heffalump has been doing some wonderful holiday tips--so great and so clever. Aubrey is a very talented young woman--every time I look around my clutter, I wish she was closer. She wrote a beautiful gratitude post the other day. I wish Glittersmama would post more often--she amazes me when she comments--she is so clever. I have to admit, I'm a little jealous because she is very witty. Millie is another one who is so clever--I love that she is a real genealogy enthusiasts. (I wish she lived closer because I could sure use some help ; ) Elastic is another one of those talented women who is so clever when she writes. So often I read and don't comment because I don't want to say over and over again "That was funny". Just go look at the banner on her blog ; )

And as far as those I haven't yet met: Txmommy has taught me a great deal. I know we would be real-life friends--when she writes I find myself shaking my head because I feel the same way. Of course, today I'm wishing I hadn't read her post the beginning of the month that talked about doing the month-long gratitude posts!!!! (Just kidding ; ) I love pj for her love of life and her laughter--and she has such cute girls and they seem to have such a fun time together. Melissa and I have a special connection. She tugs at my heart strings when she writes about her Little Bug. It brings back such memories of my times with Brent. (Please understand I'm not saying I feel sorry for her--because I know she is the perfect mom for Little Bug) Ashley is another dear friend whose blog I have read for quite awhile. She has 3 adorable daughters. Ashley is very talented and is quite the decorator. I love when she posts pictures of her latest decorating ideas. The other day I was putting the stars I won in holly's giveaway on my Christmas tree. Every time I play Scrabble with Allan I think of Holly. Somebody loved and I haven't always agreed but we still have a great relationship. One day I will get to Nevada and we will have lunch together (maybe we'll even go to Ely and go to the Star ; ) (one day I accidentally misled her--it is not in Ely, it is in Elko ; ) I would love to serve in Young Women with justrandi--her love of the youth and her sense of humor would be so fun to be around on a regular basis. I know one day we'll have a chance to meet, and I am so looking forward to it. I still remember one of the first posts I ever read of chelli's where she talked about her son's experience at the dedication of the Rexburg Temple--"the little red-headed boy". So often I read posts that make me wish I was still raising a young family--corinne's post yesterday about buying for her children for Christmas was one of those. Read it. Aurora doesn't post as often as I would like, but she is such a fantastic mom and I love to read of her experiences. She does great tutorials. Aurora, I still can't figure out how to do the little crochet'd cap, but I'm trying--how about a tutorial. I'm sure many of you read amber's blog. What talent. I often wish I could send her a post and say--"Can you do something with this?", and have her write it--I know it would be SO MUCH BETTER. I do not know how I started reading tonya's blog, but she is another one of those amazing women. She shares herself and her feelings in her post, and I love what I learn. I was so thrilled when she and her husband and son were sealed in the temple a couple of month's ago. Mel is an inspiration to me--she's another one who doesn't post very often. I wish she would because she inspires me. One day she wrote a thought that she was going to use in a Relief Society lesson--I loved it. Go here to read it. I love to read annie's blog--she has such faith and I am so inspired by her words. I just know she must be a great cook--she is always making such yummy dinners ; ) I think I'm drawn to people who are positive--Jodi is another one of those positive people. She talks so much about having an attitude of gratitude--something I've tried to develop through this month of gratitude posts. Magirk has such deep thoughts and I really have to stop and think as I read. She has a gift to write so beautifully, and I love reading her words. One of the first post I read from mindylou was about Isaiah--yes, Isaiah, SHE LOVES ISAIAH. She is a deep thinker and a beautiful writer. She's another one I wish would post more often. I know that one day sweetpea posted 100 things and at the end she commented "I have enough". Wow--that really made me stop and think about how blessed I am. Another young person who I read is whitney--she is such a sweetie and SHE'S GOING TO BE A MOM!!! It will be fun to read all about her pregnancy--I just hope it's fun for her. Sheri does a great job of capturing the things that are going on with her family. Quite often she writes about music--I love music so it's fun to read. Tiffany is another mom of twins--I just love reading about mom's of twins--they are amazing. In fact, several of the blogs I read are moms of twins.

I didn't want to leave anyone out--I want you all to know that you are GREAT WOMEN. Know that I appreciate the chance to get to know you a little better through reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your experiences, your laughter, and your efforts to do better each day. There are some days your words offer me the lift I need, the hope I need, the smile I need, or the encouragement to just press forward.

Thanks for your friendship.


27 comments:

Chelli said...

Wow! What to say? This is amazing! Thanks for putting my name in there... I certainly didn't expect it. You know I love reading your blog and I check it every day. You are inspiring to me and help me want to be a better person.

Macy said...

I'll echo with the Wow! Such a nice, thoughtful post.

Nancy Face said...

Thank you for your kind, sweet words! :)

It was so nice to read about each of your friends that you mentioned! I'm sure I'll never be able to create a post like this one because I'm a very s-l-o-w writer...it would probably take me at least six months to write it, haha! ;)

PJ said...

Wow, what a list:D Thanks for not only 'saying' you are grateful, but 'showing' it by writing such a great post.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

So many friends.
I guess that is a tribute to you as well. To have great friends... you first have to be one.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

JustRandi said...

Yvonne you are amazing!~ I love that you remember so much about everyone. And what you said about everything is to true and so thoughtful!
Especially if what you meant by my "love of the youth" means "I don't behead them on a regular basis". Ahhh, so true.

;)

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

I just did something I've never done--I read your post, went away for a while and then went to comment, seeing a picture of Chel I then thought it was HER post I was commenting on. Silly of me. :-)

That list must have taken you a long time and I'm thankful to have been included on it. You truly are a delight to read!

Grandma A said...

You are an amazing writer and I am sure an amazing woman. I love reading your blogs and hope to meet you someday. Thanks for the nice words about my girls. I am so blessed to have wonderful children. I do have a blog and hope you will come and visit. I am at Afieldofblessings.
Love n' hugs.

Grandma A said...

I should have specified. I am Tx Mommy's and Ut Mommy's Mom.

Sheri said...

As always you are amazing! What I love about you is the fact that you actually do those nice things that I think about doing (and some that I don't). You are such a giving and loving person! That is why you have so many friends!
I hope to meet you someday, but if not, I still love you and think of you as a friend that I am thankful for.

txmommy said...

Iknow we would be good friends too. I hope we'll get to meet in TX, or somewhere some time :) I love to read you blog too, and picture my life being much like yours as my kids grow and I become a grandma. I hope I'll be as wonderful, and travel as much, and love people like you do. You are awesome!!

Klin said...

Meeting you has been my pleasure. You are so amazing.

I don't always comment on Elastics blog either. Nothing I say could ever be that clever, funny, or well written. I do love her stuff, though.

Heffalump said...

Thanks for that thoughtful post Yvonne! Friends are wonderful!
I'm so glad you decided to come to the blog party and that I was able to meet you in person.
I have really been enjoying your gratitude posts this month...those reminders are always a good thing.

Suzanne said...

This must have taken such a long time to write! You are so thoughtful, Yvonne. Thanks for all the kind words. You are a wonderful woman and friend! ***hugs***

glittersmama said...

Yvonne,
I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to meet and spend time with you this summer. This post was so nice. Thank you!

Crazy Mom of Four said...

wowsers lady you are awesome! i appreciate your friendship, even if its through the web. i appreciate your posts and wow this one must have taken a long while. i can't belive the way you linked to them all..and if i had more time tonight i'd be blog hopping which i just might do.

thanks! you rock!

Tonya said...

What an amazing post Yvonne. Just another example of what an amazing and thoughtful person you are. I can't remember how I found you out here in bloggy land either but I'm glad I did. You are amazing!! Thank you.

carolyne b said...

That was quite the post, Yvonne. For those ladies who haven't yet had the plesure of meeting this fantasic woman. When you do you will be blest. What you read is really and truly Yvonne, caring, concerned,compasionate and has eminates such spirtuality. And Allen, what can you say about our wonderful SP that Yvonne hasn't already said. They really are a match made in heaven and Allen always deferes to her. And I am grateful to have known them for many years.

Lauren said...

Oh Yvonne. I am so grateful you posted that...even though I am getting to it a little late. As much as I don't deserve the recognition you gave me, I appreciate it a whole lot. That is just what I needed today. You are so amazing :)

Magirk said...

Wow! You are SO the woman of the hour! ;-)

I'm just amazed that you got links in there to everyone!! (That takes an insane amount of patience, which I do NOT have - you're awesome!)

What a great list of wonderful blogging ladies. I'm honored to be a part of your list, and thank you for your sweet compliment. I always enjoy your comments on my blog, and I LOVE reading your blog! I consider it a treasure of life's beautiful, fun, grateful moments.

Melissa said...

Yvonne - you are such an amazing awesome person! I so look forward to your comments on my blog and reading here (even though I haven't done such a great job lately).
You are an inspiration to me. I love hearing your thoughts and feelings! Your blog is so warm and friendly!
Thank you for your kind words :)

chellie said...

What a post! You did an amazing job. Funny thing, I referred to you as my 2nd mom the other day! ;) Glad to know you feel the same. :) I am so grateful for you and our friendship and the connection we have.

aubrey said...

yvonne, what a sweet sweet post. it truly made me reflect on all the people in my life whom i'm grateful for. thank you for your kind words.

{and you can always take pictures of your place and we can do a little bit of virtual staging..eh? you know i'd love it}

annie said...

I have really enjoyed reading your gratitude posts. One of the most remarkable things to me about blogging is the opportunity to meet people whom you would never meet otherwise. I'm glad that I've met you and I'm thankful for you!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful post. I am so thankful to have you as a friend. What a wonderful woman you are.:)

Liam's Mom said...

What an amazing friend you are to mention us all! I love and admire you so much, Yvonne!