Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gratitude for Good Choices

This morning Kyle, Allan and I made the two-hour drive out to one of our Wards outside of the City so Kyle could get a special blessing. I couldn't help but think about how grateful I am that he has made good choices in his life that have led him to this point where he, first of all, had a desire to do this, and second was worthy to receive it.

Agency truly is a gift, we have a right to choose the kind of life we want to live and consequently the kind of life we want to have. Does it mean that as long as we do "everything right" we will not have challenges or problems--definitely not!!! But, we will have the tools we need to meet those challenges.

One of my children called the other day to say his wife has been laid off. They have faced some big challenges lately and my heart goes out to them. After he asked Allan about his search for a job, he asked him how he keeps from getting discouraged. Allan told him he just doesn't let himself get discouraged because it doesn't do any good. (Doesn't seem to stop me ; ) The other day jodi made this comment on her blog: "But remember being grateful is a CHOICE. Even though there is usually a downside to each situation, there is also a positive side. The one you choose to focus on is up to you. When something happens, either good or bad, pause for a moment, think it through, and then choose how you want to feel about it. The more you choose gratitude, the happier you will be, mainly because you won't be obsessing over the negatives anymore. You can learn to use gratitude to transform your life." Thanks for the quote, jodi.

I struggle with staying positive, so I'm grateful for a husband who is always positive. I think back on my life and am so grateful for the GOOD CHOICES I have made. (I have made some bad choices--lots of them, but I will not post about those)

A couple of the good choices:

Being baptized a member of The Church: Back in 1973 when my babysitter introduced me to the Church, I knew I needed something in my life. I began going to Relief Society and then had the missionary discussions. I was baptized on April 6, 1974. It has been such a blessing in my life. For me learning that I was a daughter of God made such a difference in my life. I knew I never had to be alone again.

Marrying this wonderful man: October 23, 1982, we became a forever family. I am grateful for the wonderful memories I have of that day--they are still fresh in my head and my heart. What a great day that I will cherish forever. I had waited for so long to become a wife and couldn't ask for a better man to share eternity with.
























Having children: I became a mom five times, although I only gave birth four times.
  • May 30, 1970:
Here's Stephen with Daph.


















  • October 23, 1982: Mom/stepmom to these three.Me and Neal


















    Allan with Nancy and Wendy
























  • October 7, 1983, August 26, 1985, and April 13, 1991, I gave birth to these three:



















To stay on the path: Every day each and every one of us makes a choice--what kind of a person do I want to be. I am grateful for the opportunity to repent when I make poor choices (and I make quite a few) but I know that God is merciful and I can be forgiven. He is always there.

Again, may I say and may I never forget I AM TRULY BLESSED.


12 comments:

[Somebody Loved] said...

I too am grateful for the good choices I have made.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Mel said...

How neat that Kyle was able to do that today!

I need to focus on the positive more often and remember those "good" choices that I have made.

Chelli said...

Thank you for another beautiful post. You are really opening your heart to us and I appreciate your testimony.

txmommy said...

What a special day for Kyle. Going with my girls for that blessing was a high point for me as a mom.

I have to speak on Thursday about finding joy in our trials. Thanks for your comments on the topic :), it seems like everyone is stuggling now and I suspect it might only get worse, but keeping an eternal perspecitve will help.

"come what may, and love it"

Chel said...

I am so excited for Kyle. How special.
I love that quote from Jodi - thanks for sharing it. I tend to focus on the positives, but it's a great reminder because I do get discouraged.

annie said...

Great post Yvonne... I consider myself to be a "glass half full" type of girl... but I have to admit that I regret many choices in my life. I think it is so great that you can look back and see how good choices have made your life what it is today. Blessings to you.

Nancy Face said...

I'm grateful I was taught to make good choices, and for the life I am blessed with because of it. :)

I too need to remind myself to stay positive at times. Gratitude and happiness ARE a choice! :)

Nancy Face said...

I'm happy about Kyle's blessing! :)

Ashley said...

I still remember those special times like they were yesterday. My mom has a similar saying on her wall. "We seek happiness, when really happiness is a choice." This can apply to all the 'be attitudes'. I love reading all your posts they really help me narrow my focus to the things that are really important.

Amanda said...

What an exciting time for Kyle! :)

This post is so great Yvonne! Staying positive is so important and sometimes so hard. I think you are a really special person Yvonne and I appreciate your spirit and the example that you are to me. Thank you for being you and thanks for being a friend to me!! :)

Tori :) said...

That was really a great post Yvonne. Sometimes I get stuck on all the BAD choices I made. I should focus on the good and learn from the bad.

Klin said...

You are a great teacher to us all. Thank you.

How wonderful for Kyle. It's great blessing to get.