Monday, November 10, 2008

Gratitude for Laughter

I truly believe laughter is the best medicine. I'm grateful to find things that make me laugh. I have admitted before, and anyone who reads my blog knows, I am not funny. Therefore, I appreciate the blogs that provide me with a good laugh. Foremost among those would have to be nancyface, amber, lauren, and tori.

I believe Elder Wirthin was so right in this recent General Conference talk when he talked about our need to laugh. I'm grateful for a husband who makes me smile--sometimes both of us can have a morbid sense of humor which is not always appreciated by our children. As we go through this tough time in our life right now, I'm grateful that we can laugh--hopefully, I'll still be laughing in a few months if Allan is still looking for a job.

I'm also grateful for the memories I have of funny things our kids have said and done through the years--when I think about them, they always put a smile on my face--how can I ever forget the time Allan carried Kyle out of Sacrament Meeting with Kyle (kind of) screaming, "What are you going to do to me, daddy???" Believe me there were ots of times the only thing I could do was laugh ; ) I appreciate the stories I hear about things my grandchildren have done--It's great that I can laugh when they call and say one of their little ones has cut their hair and now they've had to shave it, or when one of their children tell another they are going to put them in poopy jail, etc., etc.


I'm grateful for those movie and TV shows that make me laugh--I have been converted to The Office. In fact as one of my sons was talking about having to sit through mandatory sexual harrassment training (no, not just him ; ) I told him they should have just forced them to watch The Office and then test them on how many things Michael did wrong. BTW, thanks to those bloggers who encouraged me to watch it. (When Allan and I were in the grocery store and I was walking down the aisle looking for something (talking to myself because I couldn't find it ; ) I decided I needed one of those blue tooth things in my ear (bigger than the one that Pam and Jim wore in the last episode), so people wouldn't think I was nuts and talking to myself!!!!

I'm grateful for cartoons that people send like this one



I would encourage you to laugh a few times today and in the words of Elder Wirthlin, "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

I tried really hard to remember this after the great experience I had today: I was up in my room on the phone with my stupid cell phone provider trying to get things straightened out and Kyle came home and yelled, "Mom, come downstairs, QUICK." When I grabbed the portable and ran down there was water leaking from the ceiling--apparently something is wrong with my washing machine and there was water leaking into the basement bathroom and the guest room. (Oh, when you say "leaking" you usually think drip, drip, drip...think more like pour, pour, pour) We've had a plumber here to fix three toilets in the last couple of weeks, now the washing machine, who knows what's next???

15 comments:

glittersmama said...

Ugh. Sorry to hear about your pipe problems. I'll hope for some dryness for you.

I love to laugh. It makes me feel good.

[Somebody Loved] said...

When life gets far too serious and the stress builds... there is nothing like lightening the load with laughter.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa
ps.It sounds like like you are grateful for plumbers. Us to... my husband hates to do plumbing.

Chel said...

I love to laugh! Luckily with Damien around there is NEVER a dull moment. He is truly the funniest person I have ever met - because there is such cleverness and wit to it.
This was a good one!

Lucy said...

Go on a mission and then come home and see how many things go wrong in the house. The washing machine/kitchen ceiling/toilet/broken kitchen drawer/refrigerator/cat died were hilarious. I'm still laughing. I have a sign that says, "Lord, help me to endure my blessings." Somehow it fits. :)

JustRandi said...

I'm loving your gratitude posts, Yvonne! I hope the plumbing gets fixed soon!!

Klin said...

Ugh! Plumbing problems are not funny.

I think the reason I kept having children was the cute and funny things they do. Most of the time I have totally enjoyed them and their antics. Potty training stuff not so much. Well, there was the time I was potty training my now 13 year old. I had a dress on her and nothing else. She pooped in my shoe!!! I laughed. But you can see why I can't make a post of this. She'd be so mad at me ;)

aurora said...

Definitely not funny to have plumbing problems!
Love your blog- it is always a feel-good place for me to visit. {heart}

Tiffany said...

How did you know I needed that? You reminded me of that the other day, and I again, thank you. I need to take that advise and run with it, as I run after my boys.
Hugs to ya!:O)

annie said...

Nothing compares to a good laugh.

Amber said...

Ahhhh, I'm honored! There is nothing like a healthy dose of laughter every day. Even pipe problems must have some humor in them somewhere, right? :-)

Chelli said...

Life is too short not to laugh. I thank Heavenly Father for giving me a pretty decent sense of humor. A year ago, my daughter did something really STUPID, and if Heavenly Father hadn't helped me see some humor in the situation, I probably would have either a) killed her or b) (a little less drastic) grounded her for two full years. As it was she was grounded for about a month and a potentially serious situation ended up having some positive results. And, as a matter of fact, I still laugh when I think about what she did. (She doesn't know how funny I think it is, though. We'll laugh about it together when she's 20.)

PJ said...

I loved that talk by Elder Wirthlin, especially his daughters "bad blind date" experience.

Tonya said...

Don't ask what's next because you might not want to find out. YIKES!! What a bummer. I hope they get it fixed and you don't find too much damage.

I too am thankful for laughter. You need a good funny movie right now.

Nancy Face said...

I see my name! Awww, thanks!

...the time Allan carried Kyle out of Sacrament Meeting with Kyle (kind of) screaming, "What are you going to do to me, daddy???" THAT IS SOOO FUNNY! :D

I am terribly sorry about the plumbing problems...UGH! :0

Lauren said...

I am so honored that you think my blog is funny and that you are grateful for me! First I find that Chel is grateful for me, and now you...I am starting to tear up. I am grateful for Yvonne!