Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gratitude for Scriptures


This may feel like a follow-up post to my Gratitude for Seminary. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to read and ponder the scriptures. They are such a guide and I am so grateful for the peace that comes as I read them. I have some favorite scripture stories. Each time I read of the anti-nephi-lehies burying their swords, I have to ask myself "What are the weapons of rebellion I need to bury?". I have loved studying the New Testament this year--When I study the story of The Good Samaritan, I wonder if I consider everyone my neighbor--do I really treat others with love and kindness, and am I willing to serve everyone, or just people I consider my friends. The story of the woman with the issue of blood causes me to wonder if I have that kind of faith--she dealt with that illness for 12 years and she used all of her resources to find a solution. She didn't sit and ask, "Why me?" There are so many great stories in the Old Testament: Several of my students loved the talking donkey in Numbers. I love the peace I feel as I read much of Psalms.

So many stories, so many wonderful examples. I am grateful that we are blessed to not only have The Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. As well, we have the words of our current Prophet and Apostles--which are scripture.

Today we had our Primary Presentation. I just love watching those little children--they are so sweet. I appreciate so much those that serve in the Primary. I'm grateful to know that my grandchildren have wonderful Primary teachers who love them and are sharing with them the things they need to know.

I think my Seminary students get tired of me saying, that is one of my favorite scriptures. In the back of my scriptures, I have a little list of "Scripture Treasures". The first one mentioned is Alma 36:3--"...For I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."

How about you--do you have a favorite scripture?





7 comments:

Nancy Face said...

FIRST! Now I'll read it, tee hee! ;)

Nancy Face said...

I have several favorite scriptures...I can't narrow it down to one! :)

I'm reading the Old Testament clear through for the first time...can you believe that? I'm only in Exodus, so wish me luck! Jeepers, there's some R-rated stuff in Genesis! ;)

Tori :) said...

I'm grateful for when I actually get Livie to go to nursery so I can go to Sunday school. I ♥ being able to read in class and hear other's comments.

Magirk said...

My favorite is Matt 11:28-30. :-)

carolyne b said...

My favorite scripture is: D&C 64: 10. Through personal experience I have found that it really works and is nessasary in the plan of Salvation.

JustRandi said...

Wow!~ I have GOT to get more spiritual like you! I think the closest I ever come to stuff like that is when I read Alma the Younger and wonder when the angel is coming to strike me down because I can't seem to remember to get the girls to volleyball practice.

Chelli said...

I don't use my scriptures nearly as often as I should. You inspire me to get them out and read them. I need to work harder.
Aly just started a new trimester in school and now she gets to take seminary. I should find out what the reading schedule is and read along with her.