Friday, November 14, 2008

Gratitude for Seminary

First of all, thanks to tori who sent me the above flair.

It is such a privilege to be a Seminary teacher. I love the youth so much. They amaze me. It's hard enough getting up so early in the morning, but when it's cold and dark, it's even harder. I MARVEL AT THEM IN FEBRUARY/MARCH WHEN THEY GO OUT AND IT'S 40 below!!! I especially appreciate those who do not have a lot of support at home.

Today was Scripture Mastery day. We are working very hard to get ready for tomorrow. They are getting there. I know come Spring they will REALLY be ready. I feel like I let them down when I was gone for the month--they are not as prepared as they could be. They really want to win tomorrow, but we'll see how it goes.

It may seem silly that we spend so much time memorizing scriptures, but these scriptures are so important for them to have in their mind--they will be part of their armor. They need to be so prepared to withstand the "fiery darts of the wicked". Goodness only knows what they will face in the future, I want them to be ready. AND I WANT TO BE READY, TOO.

Off tomorrow for the challenge--wish us luck. Will let you know how it goes.



9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good luck!
I look back on my seminary days with fond memories. I didn't have to get up early to go, we had release time (Utah). I really admire the youth who do, and their dedicated teachers.
Those scriptures stick with you. Especially if you become a missionary.:O)

Klin said...

My boys have loved all their seminary teachers. I had one that I would go to his class when I was too sick to attend regular school. I couldn't miss his class. He was great.

I am grateful for seminary teachers. They are very important and influential in the lives of our youth.

Thanks for all you do.

JustRandi said...

I am always surprised at the scriptures that pop into my head when I need them. It just makes me realize all the more that if you just keep putting them in there, they will come out when you need them! Memorizing a huge piece of that!!

Oh, and I'm stealing your flair.

Melissa said...

Okay - I'm loving that flair!! Too funny! Good luck with the scripture mastery! I should find out what they are each year and work on them... I wish I could take seminary from you :)

Chel said...

I would have loved to have a seminary teacher like you! You are so amazing. You have so many attributes that a seminary teacher needs.
I too, admire those kids that are up early in freezing temps to get to Seminary. That is awesome!

Nancy Face said...

It's been LOTS AND LOTS of years since I attended Seminary, and I remember many of the scriptures I learned way back then...some of them word for word! They have been very important in my life, and I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to go to Seminary! :)

Yvonne said...

First of all--sad to say but the youth lost.

Tiffany: I am so proud of the youth. They are wonderful. I still remember the first scripture I memorized when I taught the CTR-B's years and years ago (which is a scripture mastery.

klin: You certainly are a dedicated parent.

Thank you. I love what I do.

justrandi: Isn't it great when the scriptures are there and you remember them when you need them.

Glad you like the flair.

melissa: You are so sweet. I really think it would be great if every adult had them marked and then when giving a talk they could remind the youth "this is a scripture mastery" ; )

chel: I could have been your teacher, you know ; )
And it would have been fun.

The youth are amazing.

nancyface: I am so glad you still remember them. It's wonderful when we have them to call on when needed.

Thanks.

Chelli said...

I love when I can recognize and remember a scripture from my seminary class of over 20 years ago. They really do stick with you and help you out over the years. I also think that some of my most influential teachers during my high school years were my seminary teachers. (I had release time seminary too.) You'll hear from these kids in 15 years and they'll thank you for all the dedication and love you showed them.

Magirk said...

I'm grateful for Seminary teachers! ;-)