Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gratitude for Those Who Keep Me Safe

I apologize if it seems this post is late since it is almost November 12th--I should have posted this at midnight last night.

Here in Canada, what I always grew up knowing as Veterans Day is called Remembrance Day. It is a day when Canadians pause to remember "those who have served and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace."

When we were attending Church on Sunday one of the young dads who is a member of the military and just returned from Afghanistan spoke about his experiences there. It was so touching. I loved how he began his talk--he spoke of all those who keep us safe--not just the military but policemen and firemen as well. I would like to express gratitude for them, too.

I am very blessed to live in an area of the world where I know I am fairly safe. I appreciate knowing that there are policeman patrolling, firemen on call, as well as those men and women serving in various parts of the world to try to ensure that we remain free. I am also very grateful for the families of those who are members of each of these professions.

There are times when the words "Thank you" just doesn't seem adequate--this is one of those times.



9 comments:

txmommy said...

you are doing such a good job keeping up with daily gratitude. And you keep picking things I'm grateful for too. What a blessing it is to feel safe, and to have people who do that for us!

[Somebody Loved] said...

I agree with you.
I can't even imagine living in a place where you were afraid to walk in your neighborhood. Or there were guys with machine guns on every corner... or landmines in the field. We are so blest. Or being beat simply because I am a woman.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

sweetpea said...

This was a lovely post, and a really good reminder. I too, am so grateful for all the sacrifices that have been made on my behalf--past and present.

annie said...

Amen.

JustRandi said...

I agree completely. Saying thank-you just doesn't seem like enough. But NOT saying thank-you would be so much worse!
Great post.

Nancy Face said...

I so agree with you! I too am very thankful for those wonderful people who keep us safe. :)

Chelli said...

I think we often times just take our safety for granted. I too am very grateful for those who protect me at home and abroad.

Chel said...

That was said perfectly. I feel so blessed to feel safe - just like you. I have a tender heart for those that keep us safe and those that fight for our country.

Amanda said...

Amen. Very well said. Sometimes thank you seems so inadequate for all that they sacrifice for us.