Monday, December 15, 2008

Randomness

I really don't know why I'm doing a post today--LIFE IS CRAZY!!!!! Instead of checking things off the lists, I feel like I'm adding things to it.

--Brent has been accepted to BYU in the Fall. He is so excited. He will graduated from LDS Bus. College in the Spring and will be off to BYU in the Fall. We're hoping Kyle will be there, too. (BTW, he took his ACT on Saturday and said it was THE WORST test he's ever written in his life. He was very happy with his essay question: Who is ultimately responsible for what a student gets out of their high school education, the teacher or the student? )

--Last night we had our Prelude to Christmas--which includes quite a few musical numbers from our members but also we have had a choir from another Church in the Community join us. It's a wonderful evening. I got a little nostalgic as I sit there with Allan and Kyle and realized that next year Kyle will be at University.

--We were assigned by our Bishop a family to take a Christmas hamper to, so tonight we will go and deliver the packages. Should be fun. It always makes us feel good to help someone else.

--I'm almost done with the two little Christmas gifts I'm working on--can't post a picture yet, because the mom's of one of the recipients reads my blog and I want it to be a surprise. (It's not any big thing, but I thought it was kind of cute ; )

--I told my Seminary students that we would have a special treat each morning this week. This morning I made cinnamon rolls. (I should have had hot chocolate, too, since it was a lovely -42 WC when Kyle and I left for Seminary. Sure glad we had Allan's car with the command start--sure made it much nicer when we got in the car after Seminary ; ) I think tomorrow will be Christmas cookies.

--Today our lesson in Seminary was on The Prodigal Son--what a great story. So many lessons. I can see myself acting just as the elder brother in the parable. When I was reading a talk by Elder Holland the other day, regarding the Prodigal Son. He talked about "envy is the one sin to which no one readily confesses, but just how widespread that tendency can be is suggested in the old Danish proverb, "If envy were a fever, all the world would be ill." The parson in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales laments it because it is so far reaching--it can resent anything, including any virtue and talent, and it can be offended by everything, including every goodness and joy. As others seem to grow larger in our sight, we think we must therefore be smaller. So, unfortunately, we occasionally act that way." That hit me pretty hard. He concludes "I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us--insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn't measure our talents or our looks. He doesn't measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other." I quote this for me--I want to remember so on those days I compare and feel less than others I can correct my thinking.

--I have worked very hard but still don't have O Holy Night where I want it, but I still think I might try and play it for my kids. I had a big idea of something I wanted to do with it. Oh well, maybe next year ; )

--Before I head out of town, I want to be sure and post a couple of kids with Santa pictures. Such memories. I'm so grateful for memories.

--I will be cheering for Michelle tomorrow night on Biggest Loser. I voted to keep Ed on--probably for the same reason my DIL, Macy, did--I was irritated with what he did to make sure Heba stayed.


24 comments:

glittersmama said...

I can't believe how freezing cold it is there. It was 72 here today. I wish I was in your seminary class--good lessons and good treats.

I want Michelle to win too. And I voted for Ed for the same reason.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Busy little bee you are.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

JustRandi said...

What a powerful quote! I love that.
You are a busy busy lady,m Yvonne. I'm so impressed with cinnamon rolls AND Christmas cookies all in one Week!!

annie said...

It feels like Canada here today :)! So cold!

You sure are busy!

Nancy Face said...

Hooray for Brent! :D

You're a Seminary HERO! :)

That quote was amazing, and I think we can all learn something valuable from it. I know I did.

I'm so glad you made time to post! :)

Klin said...

Go Michelle!!!!!

Heba is mean. Vicki is mean. That's why I voted for Ed. I didn't want Michelle to have to go up against two mean girls.

You are the best seminary teacher.

Chelli said...

Life is extremely hectic this time of year and although it seems that writing a blog adds to the stress, I think it actually gives a little respite. It's a great place to vent, to get things off our chest and to Reee.Lax.

Congrats to Brent on BYU. That would be nice if Kyle gets accepted too. Did he apply to BYU-I as well?

Lippy said...

Nice checking in with you today :) Now get back to the list!!! :)

Heffalump said...

Sounds like you are busy! I'm trying not to think of my list of things to do...

mindyluwho said...

I'm so far behind on reading your blog that I'm not going to even try to catch up. Just going to start here and try to keep up!

I love that quote. I have been comparing myself so much lately to everyone, and most expecially against the person I think I'm supposed to be but am so far away from! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to copy it and put it on my fridge!

Tonya said...

Wow, you do have a lot going on. I'm tired just reading about it all. Good luck getting everything done.

chellie said...

Wow, that is really really cold! :) I won't complain that we had a "cold front" that brought 50+ degree temps.

I love the treats for the seminary class and I love Christmas cookies. (Too much so.)

I'm really excited for Brent. That is great news!!

I love the quote and your insight.

Well... like you, I keep adding to my list of things to do... and being on the computer isn't one of them!

Melissa said...

SO COLD! I do not know if I could live somewhere that cold. I grew up in Idaho and we had our share of chilliness, but this Southern California thing is growing on me!

I'll say it again - I wish I could attend your Seminary class! Not just for the treats (even though they sound wonderful!) but it sounds like you really search things out!

And the Biggest Loser... sniff... sniff... I will try not to be too annoyed with our Enrichment Committee for not having the foresight to plan our activity for a different night... :)

Suzanne said...

You sound like such a fun seminary teacher. The kids are lucky to have you!

So what exactly is a Christmas hamper? Is that a term for a bunch of gifts? It's a great feeling to get to participate in giving during the holiday season!

That must feel strange to have your kids all living away in a year. I guess that means you'll have to visit Utah more! All the cool people are in Utah! ;)

Lauren said...

I have been freezing here, and it is only 49 degrees! I feel sad for you!

You are an awesome seminary teacher! I don't think I ever got treats from my teachers.

Yay for Brent!!

txmommy said...

Yeah Brent!!

I wanted Michelle to win too and was so glad she did. I didn't vote, but I probably would have voted Heba.

Carrot Jello said...

Thanks for cheering for me on Biggest Loser.
I won in spirit.
Now, if I could just do it in real life.

Whitney said...

How awesome of you to make cinnamon rolls and cookies for your seminary class! I needed YOU as a teacher! ;)

Lei said...

Yes, thanks for the quote. And good luck on "O Holy Night", of course you should play it! They will adore it, I am sure. Good luck with everything you've got going on...

Amber said...

I am so bummed I missed The Biggest Loser finale but was thrilled to hear Michelle won!

And I am now in the Motherland. What welcomed me? Only -25 degree weather. ugh!

sweetpea said...

-42??? Holy moly!! Your seminary students are so lucky to have you--love that quote too.

Jodi said...

How I wish I lived near you....I would come to seminary even if I wasn't supposed to just for the treats!

Holly said...

I guess I won't complain about our 7 degrees and snow! Congratulations Brent!

Liam's Mom said...

Please tell me you meant to type -4 not -42. That is just wrong.