Monday, January 12, 2009

Accountability List for 2009


I have given this a lot of thought, PROBABLY TOO MUCH THOUGHT. That should be #1 on my list next year--Don't spend so much time THINKING about things that really don't matter, but I guess to me this list does matter. I am a checklist kind of person, I love making to do lists, and usually put EVERYTHING on it so I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, here goes:

#1: Mail birthday cards out (on time) to family members. I'm terrible at this--oh, I remember to call people, send e-mails, etc. on birthdays, but getting cards in the mail is another story. I just think it is so fun to get a card in the mail, so I want to do the same for my family. (Speaking of which I have a card tucked away that I bought 5 or 6 years ago for my SIL, Tony. It is for his 40th birthday (which is still a few years away). I can't wait to give it to him.

#2: Organize my photos onto CD's. I have close to 13,000 photos on iPhoto. Neal keeps telling me I need to do this, so let's make this be the year to do it!!!

#3: Be able to play (with confidence) 5 hymns. I have been in Relief Society when there hasn't been anyone to play--if would be nice if I could go to the piano and play. I've been taking lessons for years, so I should be able to play. Of course, being able to do this will only happen if I practice--so I will practice 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

#4: This was on my list last year, but I still haven't mastered it--plan weekly menus. I know this would alleviate last minute runs to the grocery store. I also could plan healthier menus--that should be "would" not could ; )

#5: Be kinder. I want to see people and love them the way Christ does. (That may seem like a very lofty goal, but I realize that quite often I am very critical of others. Each of us has struggles--mine may be different that yours, but that doesn't make me better (or worse) than you.) I watched the Church video "The Prodigal Son" on Saturday--if you haven't seen it and have access to it, get a copy. It is a real eye opener. In fact, Allan and I were talking about how it would have been a great one to show our family when we were together over Christmas. We may see all those faults in others and gloss over our faults--that whole beam/mote ; ) (I guess really I should say "I" not we.

#6: Pray and listen. I was thinking about the scripture "being led by the Spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do" (1 Nephi 4:6) and I realize that quite often I GIVE direction rather than listen for direction--I need to work on this. I've spent a lot of time pondering Elder Bednar's last General Conference talk and I've printed out this post by aubrey and have given it a lot of thought recently as I've said my prayers.

#7: Lose 10 pounds--well, I'm a lot closer to my goal weight than I was last year. (I was a lot closer to it before I went to Utah--but, believe me I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE THING I ATE THAT LED TO THE ADDITION OF A FEW POUNDS!!!! I will lose this weight by eating healthier--less junk, more fruits and vegetables, and no eating after 8:00 p.m. This is one of those goals that I am giving a deadline--March 9th. (Nothing magical about the date--just wanted to give myself enough time (realizing there is a birthday celebration in there ; )

#8: Continue my exercise regime. Before I left for Utah, I was doing very well with my exercising--I will get back on track. My plan is to do my 30 minutes at Curves at least 5 days a week--I want to go 6, but will set my goal for 5. I will also work my way up to 60 minutes on the elliptical 6 days a week. Once I hit my goal weight, I will continue my 5 days at Curves and go to 3 days a week on the elliptical.

#9: Re-start my card system for cleaning my house. Enough said ; )


We also have some family challenges that we will be working on each month. I will add these to my list. So as I mentioned before--Family Challenge for January was to not purchase anything other than food and gas. (Other than my washer/dryer, I've been pretty good ; )

I think once a month I'll do a brief report on how I'm doing--maybe on the 1st of each month ; )I think that will help me not to forget these goals.

I really liked this that justrandi had on her blog (I hope you don't mind me stealing it, randi)

I really do want to be a better me!!!!


How about you, are you a resolution person?



21 comments:

Chelli said...

Am I first? Maybe!! (Yay me!)

I'm quite impressed your list of goals/resolutions. I'm not a fan of writing down resolutions, but maybe I would get more accomplished if I did... I think I will copy some of your goals because they are certainly things I need to work on... okay. EVERYTHINg you have listed is something i need to work on. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chelli said...

(I think another goal I should have is not to ramble so much!)

:D

glittersmama said...

Yvonne, your list is great. I think making a list and writing/typing it out is so helpful.

My plans for this year involve diet and exercise. It almost sounds cliche, but that's what I need.

Can you tell us more about your card system for cleaning your house?

JustRandi said...

Yay!
I'm so glad you liked my button!!
I love your goals, though you are already maybe one of the most kind people I know.

Mel said...

Yvonne, what a wonderful accountability list. I need to start doing all these things too. maybe I will print it off!

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

I can see that you really have put alot of thought into this. I think you gave ME some great ideas. Like I need to not waste time worrying about things that don't matter... or sweat the small stuff. [perspective]
and
I have been working on the kinder thing. Love people in a Christlike manner. I have had the need to try this out many times in 2008. It is not easy... but I have learned that the less I judge others the better I feel.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Klin said...

Not really a resolution person. I just try to be better each year.

I love your list. I'm cheering for you.

Tonya said...

Well now, that is quite a list of things to do. If I know you, you'll get them done.

I like the idea of to do lists as well. It always makes me feel good to be able to check something off.

Ashley said...

I would really like to lose 20 pounds by my birthday in June. I am not going to start this month. I had to put my gym membership on hold for financial reasons, but hope to be able to use it next month. That, and creating a calm and more peaceful enviroment in my home. Sounds easy enough, we shall see.

Amanda said...

I love your list Yvonne! You are such an inspiration!! I want to be like you when I grow up! I've been thinking about resolutions too and I so often get over whelmed at the concept, but this year I am determined to do better and not be so hard on myself! I need to write some things on my blog about resolutions/goals. Thanks for the inspiration.

Natalie said...

I too am impressed with your list. It is a great one. It really gives me a lot to think about. I think I could just about copy your list and make it mine, except we don't have curves or an eliptical here. I will have to try to walk more.
Don't you have a b-day coming up this week? I want to be the first to wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Love n' hugs

txmommy said...

sounds like a great list! I know you'll do it :)

Yvonne said...

chelli: I hope I can work at it--today I haven't felt very motivated. (Maybe it's the cold, cold weather ; )

glittersmama: Thanks. Good luck with the diet and exercise.

My card system has been very helpful to me--will write about it.

justrandi: I loved it. Thanks for letting me steal it (even though I took it without asking ; ) You are sweet.

mel: I loved your list ; )

sheila: Oh, it's all about perspective.

You are so right about feeling better when we don't judge others.

klin: Just being better is a great idea.

Thanks for the support.

tonya: I love checking things off, too. Thanks.

ashley: Good luck with the 20 pounds. The Curves thing just worked out with a real deal when I signed up, or I wouldn't have done it.

Love the idea of creating a more peaceful environment.

amanda: Thanks for saying "when you grow up" and not "WHEN I GET OLD"!!!

I loved what you wrote today about RESOLUTIONS!!!

natalie: Thanks. Good luck with the walking.

Yeah, my birthday is this Saturday. Thank you.

txmommy: Thanks--I'll do my best.

Nancy Face said...

I WISH I was more of a resolution person! Your goals are wonderful and so well thought out! :)

Wow, that's a lot of pictures to organize! :0

Playing hymns at home and playing hymns with confidence as an accompanist are two very different things! Your practicing plan should do the trick! :)

Melissa said...

What a great list! I try to set a few goals for myself, but usually I fall flat. I'm working harder this year... I have had to send Hubby to get groceries the last little while. I know that all the stores are clearancing out their winter stuff and I LOVE buying things on clearance. :) So, if Hubby goes shopping, he picks up the things on the list and that's it. The clearance racks don't even tempt him ;)

annie said...

Great list of goals Yvonne.
I do try to start fresh with the new year with new goals. My first one is to read the bible daily... to put God first.

Jodi said...

What amazing aspirations! And I know you can do them all! But I will still be the devil's advocate and try and entice you to join the Backward's Resolution Revolution! Come on...you know you want to! lol

chellie said...

That is a wonderful list! I almost feel like I should copy it (except mine would say 20 lbs). I can tell it was well thought out and each thing is something very important to you. You are an inspiration. I just love ya to death.

No Cool Story said...

Oh yes please write about the card system, I want to know about it too.

I like your January family challenge. I should give that a try.

That's a great list. I am cheering for you too!!

Tori :) said...

Wow. How did I miss this post?? You made an awesome list. I'm stealin' a few...

technology said...

gucci purse
cheap gucci
cheap gucci
gucci wallets
prada