Saturday, January 3, 2009

The End of the Trip

I posted about the first week of our trip, and we are now on our way home. Here are some of the highlights from our second week.

On Saturday we went to one of our favorite places--BYU. We love to go there and walk around. I just love that campus.















We love the mountains (something we just don't have in Manitoba, so we had to take this picture.

















Sunday we went to my MIL's Ward. After dinner we had a great family home evening together on gratitude. We shared scriptures and stories about how blessed we are. At the end of the evening we each shared the things we are grateful for--it was a very touching evening.

Monday morning I found an e-mail from Suzanne wondering if we could get together for lunch--and it was going to work. (I really wish I had some free time on some other days to get together with a couple of other bloggers, but it just didn't work. We had a lovely lunch at Olive Garden.



















That night after dinner we decided to go to the movies. We all went to see Valkyrie--it was an excellent movie. I knew there were lots of attempts on Hitler's life, but this was a story I was not familiar with--very well done.

Kyle didn't go to the movies because he was feeling quite nauseated --Heidi had lots to do and she decided to stay with him ; ( He was quite sick during the night--I felt very sorry for him.

That night, Heather, Chris and Amanda arrived.

Tuesday morning we got up and ate the monkey bread Wendy had prepared when we got home from the movies--it was delicious.

We all got the forms ready and headed for Soldier Hollow to go sledding. What a fun day. We convinced Kyle, who wasn't feeling 100% to go with us. When we realized that Kobe Bryant was on the hill with his wife and daughters, Kyle was very happy he was there. (Kyle so wanted a picture--oh well, at least he got to see him ; )


















We had several rides down the hill, but the best of all was when we linked all of our tubes together and FLEW DOWN THE HILL. It was so fun.
















Wednesday afternoon I finally had lunch at Cafe Rio. I have heard so many people talk about it but had never eaten there. It was delicious. (I love Mexican food. I had the pork salad--yum) Around 4:00 we headed for Temple Square to see the lights. (We decided to ride the train which we had never ridden before, and then on our way home stop at Hires for dinner.) The lights were absolutely beautiful. Loved every minute. I love seeing the Salt Lake Temple at night--so beautiful.



















Here's Neal, Macy, and Garrett right as we were leaving Temple Square.


















We gathered for a fun New Years Eve party. Here we are just after midnight.












Got up early New Years Day and took Kyle to the airport and put him on the plane back to Winnipeg. Later that day, we went to another movie. Some of us went to see Seven Pounds and some went to see Yes Man. I went to Seven Pounds and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a huge Will Smith fan. I think he is a terrific actor.


Allan and I were not sure whether we were going to leave on Friday or Saturday, but decided we still had a lot of things to do, and we were a little concerned about the weather, so we decided to go toOn Friday afternoon we decided to go to Zupa's for lunch (I have never eaten there before--it was delicious). Notice the picture--they decided to try and close their eyes for the picture--some either didn't get the message or weren't sure how to do it ; ) I give them all points for trying.



On Friday afternoon, Neal and his family headed for Park City to spend some time with Macy's family. We ended up going to
PF Chang's for dinner--followed by ColdStone for dessert. Boy do I need to get back to Curves and back on my elliptical.

We are now in Miles City and will drive the rest of the way tomorrow.

As always, tough to say goodbye to the kids. I know we will see Brent and Heidi in April, and we will see the rest in May when we all gather in Texas for Chris and Heather's wedding. It will be wonderful. It is always so fun to watch Heidi and Chris together--they just love to banter back and forth and it just makes me smile. I LOVE IT.



27 comments:

Nancy Face said...

FIRST, woo hoo! :D

Nancy Face said...

I'm so glad you got feeling well so you could have lots and lots of fun, YAY! :)

I just love seeing snow covered mountains!

I'm so happy you and Suzanne were able to go to lunch! So fun! :)

I went to see Valkyrie after dinner on Christmas Day with all my kids. It wasn't exactly a Christmas type of movie, but I agree with you...it was really excellent! Although it was sad, the sadness didn't last long for me, because the characters were so heroic. I found it to be inspiring.

The sledding sounds like such a blast! You are so much fun! :D

I've never seen the Christmas lights at Temple Square, except in pictures. They must look so beautiful when it's snowing. We finally went to see the Christmas lights at the Mesa Temple the last night they were lit...New Year's Day! ;)

Great pictures as always! :)

Nancy Face said...

Oooh...1st, 2nd, and 3rd! ;)

PJ said...

Good times, good family, good eats!
I want to go sledding:)

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

I love how your trips are always packed with fun and family.

Kobe Bryant. Wow!

What a brave lady. I havn't gone sledding or tubing for years... mostly because I fear the wipeouts.
I have had a few of those... my husband insists I could do this activity safely. We will see.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Amber said...

What a wonderful trip! Even though we're pretty close to Utah, it has been a looooong time since we've been on BYU's campus. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it. I was fortunate to be a student during all the major construction back in 1997 and wasn't able to reap the benefits!

annie said...

Beautiful pictures!

txmommy said...

looks like such a great trip!!
the mountains are beautiful.

I don't think Valkyrie was a true story.

Holly said...

It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I love the family pictures. You all look so happy together.

Mel said...

Sledding! You are so brave!

Cafe Rio is a favorite of ours. I have their recipe for the sweet pork burritos. So yummy!

Chelli said...

You have been very busy!! What a great trip! You picture of the Temple turned out BEAUTIFUL!! Have a safe trip back... back to Curves and Seminary... (I can't wait to start Curves again tomorrow!)

Heffalump said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with family and friends!
Hope you are safely home and doing well!

Corrine said...

sounds like y'all had such a wonderful trip.

i haven't been to the olive garden in forever.

and the comment about closing eyes in the picture had me laughing, my grandmother was famous for her eyes being closed in pictures. she could always just time it just right.

utmommy said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time!

I was kind of out of the blog world for a little bit, so I didn't even know you were here. Hopefully next time, we can get together.

You guys always look like you have such a good time together.

Natalie said...

Sounds like you're having such a great time. I'm so happy for you.

Wow, lots of yummy places to eat.

It's wonderful to be with family. That is the hardest thing about being away.

Have a safe trip home.

Melissa said...

YUM!! That's the first word I think of to describe your trip :D
It sounds like you had a fantastic time! Always good to be with family during the holidays :D

chellie said...

What a fantastic week! It was a vacation so it's okay to eat at all those yummy places!

Snow covered mountains are pretty, but I sure don't like to be cold!

I love to go sledding. I am looking forward to it in a couple of weeks. Although I'd rather not see Kobe Bryant because he'd get a mouth full from me. :)

I love Temple Square! There really is truly nothing like it in the winter at night. Beautiful!!

I'm glad you are home safe and had a wonderful Christmas!

sweetpea said...

You guys always have so much fun!! And just the very mention of Cafe Rio's pork salad makes my mouth water!! YUM! I do have the recipes, if you're interested!

aurora said...

Just checking in... I have missed all of my BlogBuddies and haven't blogged anything really this holiday.
It looks like you had a great Christmas Holiday with your family.
Happy New Year!!

Tonya said...

The mountains there are so beautiful. When I visited I was struck by how it seemed you could just reach out and touch them.

I'm glad you had a great time. You guys sure know how to travel.

Suzanne said...

It was so fun getting to see you, Yvonne! :) I love getting to see all your pictures. You guys look like you have so much fun together. I hope you arrive home safe and sound!

carolyne b said...

Okay this is too much Kyle shoveling snow in Utah wearing shorts. While you had a great time in what seems to be some balmy weather we literaly froze. Now aren't you glad to be back home. On a side note it was great to see a picture of Riley with his new wife. Last time I saw him was at the reception.

Jess said...

Wow I love the mountain pictures Wish I could see some mountains again. I am glad you liked Seven Pounds because I wanted to go see it but wasn't sure about it. Yeah!! Sounds like some yummy food.
I only wish we had some real hills here to go sledding.

txmommy said...

I read a Christmas Sweater, the day after Christmas. It was wonderful, very touching and thought provoking.

Tori :) said...

Kobe Bryant? Um, yeah, PUKE. ;)

I'm glad you had a great trip.

Thanks so much for the fun fangs!!!

Tori :) said...

I forgot to mention- my mom always LOVED to tour the BYU campus when she would come up. You made me think of her. :)

intelligence said...

Runescape Account
Runescape Accounts