Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A HISTORIC DAY

Since I just celebrated my birthday, I can say, I have lived a LONG, LONG TIME!!!! In those 58 years I have seen a lot of historic days. You know the kind of days where you think, "Where was I when..."

For instance, when: President Kennedy was assassinated, Martin Luther King assassination, Bobby Kennedy assassination, Neal Armstrong walked on the moon, the Berlin Wall fell, the Challenger exploded, and 9/11, to name a few.

For me, today was another one of those historic days. Yes, I live in Canada, and some of you may not know, I am an American--a proud American!!!! I remember when I was a little girl and Pres. Kennedy was assassinated. (I was very afraid--I didn't know what was going to happen. It was only a few months after my father had died and I was a huge fan of President Kennedy) There were lots and lots of sad days in the 60's--Martin Luther King's assassination; Bobby Kennedy's assassination. There was the nightly news reports regarding the Vietnam War and boys killed (I know there were women killed but I only had male friends and relatives who were fighting and I listened hoping I wouldn't hear any of their names)

As I laid in bed last night thinking about the inauguration of our 44th President today, I thought about the years of segregation. I did not grow up in the South but lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. My parents taught me that we were all the same--and I will always be grateful for that teaching.

If I could have voted in this last election, I would have supported Senator McCain. However, today I have to say as I listened to President Obama and watched the crowd, I was filled with hope. I want to be, I have to be. I will continue to pray for him as well as all of our leaders. I pray that all of us will recognize that there is work to do. I loved this part of his speech:

"The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom."


I am grateful for that freedom. Freedom is a great gift that we have enjoyed because of so many men and women who have sacrificed in our behalf. On a day like today, I appreciate our military men and women (and their families) so much.

God Bless the U.S.A.

Can I just add, YOU KNOW YOUR OLD WHEN THEY SWEAR IN A PRESIDENT WHO IS YOUNGER THAN YOU ARE!!!! (That's the first time that has happened to me)

Sidenote #1: I was very SURPRISED with the vote on Biggest Loser!!!!

Sidenote #2: A special thank you to Lauren for mentioning me in her last post and asking her readers to come over and leave me birthday wishes. Thanks, lauren.

21 comments:

Heffalump said...

I only have a few of those historic days. I was in 7th grade when the Challenger exploded and we had to watch it over and over again that day in school. We pretty much spent all day watching the news reports.
My first historic event was when Mt St Helens blew when I was in grade school.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Pres. Obama is older than me... but only by one year. My hubby is like you. Older than the Pres. and he thinks it is very strange as well.

When I think about leadership and organizations... it is not all that strange to have awesome leaders younger than yourself. I think about teaching a wonderful young lady in Young Women. Several years later being called as a counselor with her as the President. Now she is the Bishop's wife. Leaders are born with the ability to lead. Wonderful huh?

I also feel like this was a historic day.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Tonya said...

Regardless of my political views, today was an amazing day for all of us who love democracy. I have to admit that I got a little choked up when they talked about democracy verses violence. I am proud to an American this day.

Valerie said...

I found it interesting that in my 6 year old's prayers last night, along with praying for President Monson, he also prayed for President Obama. He (my boy) inspires me. I'm nervous for our great nation, but I'm trying to remain optimistic and I will pray for him too.

Ashley said...

In school I clearly remember the Oklahoma City Bombing. I lived in Dallas and it was pretty close to home. Of course many things have happened since that I have experienced as an adult.

Regardless of who I voted for, I can not help feeling hopeful when I hear President Obama speak. Yesterday was the first time I even bothrered to watch an inauguration. It was history in the making.

RatalieNose said...

I loved in his speech where he talked about how at one point his father wasn't allowed to eat in a certain resturant and now his son is the President of the country. I'm so happy I live in the time I do! Great post!

aubrey said...

i loved the inauguratoin and felt very glad to be able to witness the swearing in of the first african american president. i loved his speech and look forward to the good that he will do. i'm glad you had a nice birthday!!!

txmommy said...

I didn't watch but I pray for him and hope he'll do a really good job and live up to everyone's expectation...the everyone that voted him in. He has a big job to do.

Nancy Face said...

I sewed and did other happy projects all day Tuesday, and never once turned on the TV, except to do my workout DVD! I missed out on all the historic stuff! ;)

Corrine said...

thanks for the words. I really hope and PRAY that things will turn out as good as they are promised.

Corrine said...

oh and yeah i was so shocked by the biggest loser..LOSERS

Whitney said...

Oh I am so ashamed. Because I have been such a slacker in the blogging business, I missed your birthday :( But, Happy Birthday!!! Even though it's late.

sweetpea said...

It was definitely an historic day, and I loved that my son had been able to watch the inauguration at school. He will always remember where he was, when President Obama became the first African American in history.
While I didn't vote for him either, I am praying for him, and hoping that he can turn those words spoken yesterday into action--ones that will help this nation recover, and become stronger.

Tori :) said...

Thanks for sharing your memories! Wow.
I'm still getting used the idea of Pres. Bush being gone. He is just so earnest and real. I love him. But, I'll give Obama a chance.
I was SHOCKED at the BL elimination. Joelle drives me CRAZY.

Suzanne said...

I still remember exactly where I was when I saw the Challenger explode. Memories like that stay with you forever, don't they?

You've seen a lot of things in your lifetime. Hopefully they continue to get better and better! :)

annie said...

I was surprised by the vote on biggest loser too, I thought for sure they would vote HER off! Oh well :)...

Yvonne said...

heffalump: You only have a few because YOU ARE NOT AS OLD AS ME ; ) The Challenger explosion is pretty vivid in my mind, too. I should have thought about Mt. St. Helens.

sheila: Believe me that isn't the only reason I would have voted for Sen. Mc Cain ; ) I still struggle when I go to the doctor and I'm older than the doc.

tonya: Very well said--it was an amazing day.

valerie: And a little child shall lead them ; )

I think we have to try to remain optimistic.

ashley: I should have remembered the Oklahoma City Bombing--we were living in California. That was such a shock.

Yes, it was history in the making.

RatalieNose: It was pretty incredible. Thanks for stopping by.

aubrey: Like I said, I'm hopeful. I just want things to improve for everyone.

It was a great birthday.

txmommy: Yes, he does have a big job. HUGE. But, I will keep praying that things will get better.

nancyface: It was important to me to see it, so I stopped during my piano lesson and watched with my teacher and her husband. They are Canadians and were very interested.

corrine: All we can do is hope and pray.

I was SO SHOCKED--I thought it was a given that Joelle was gone.

whitney: No problem--I'm so glad you are doing well. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

sweetpea: I'm glad your son will have that memory--it will be something that will stay with him forever.

Yes, all we can do is hope and pray.

tori: When you are old you have lots of memories and even some of them you remember ; )

I will miss Pres. Bush and Mrs. Bush, too. I loved him and felt very sorry for him so often. I can't help but think he is GLAD TO BE OUT OF THERE!!!!
I hope he knows there were many Americans that appreciated his hard work.

You are so right--we all need to give Pres. Obama a chance.

I don't think you are alone regarding Joelle.

suzanne: You are right about the memories regarding the Challenger Explosion--I don't think we'll ever forget.

I hope things get better and better, too.

annie: I was almost going to turn it off I thought it was so certain--boy was I surprised!!!!

Lauren said...

Great post Yvonne. You are amazing.

chellie said...

Definitely a historic day.... but one I struggled to watch. For me black/white/red/purple... makes NO difference - I just didn't want him to be the President. I still have serious concerns, but it is what it is, so I guess I'll keep moving along and hope for the best!

GO ROMNEY! ;)

Melissa said...

Yep - it's time to put differences aside and hope that Pres Obama can do what he's set out to do! He's got a tough time ahead of him, but he seems up to the task.
Love this post!!

materials said...

langhao95
shihou67
aoxiang57
lingyuan59
piakqiu67