Saturday, January 17, 2009

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

It really doesn't matter how old I get--I LOVE MY BIRTHDAY. Who cares that I am OLD, OLD, OLD??? I DON'T!!! I'll let you all in on a little secret--I don't feel like I'm 58 years old.

I think the reason I am such an avid picture taker (I won't call myself a photographer) is because I don't have many pictures of me growing up. I have a lot of great memories of the past 57 years--I just wish I had pictures of these things that are vivid memories from the past 57 years.

My first day of kindergarten--yes, I do remember. After going with my mom when my older sister, Gayle, had to be carried kicking and screaming (by the principal) into the school, I just turned and waved goodbye to my mom. (I was so ready ; ) --heck, I'd even love a picture when that little rocking boat flipped over and my dress flew up over my head ; ) It's a memory!!!!

I'd love to have a picture of me reading Nancy Drew books in the back of our Rambler station wagon--the only place I could go to find peace and quiet. I loved reading.

It would be so fun to have a picture of my dad and me at Candlestick Park for my first Giant's game. I would just love to have a picture of me with my parents--I think of that every time I watch Harry Potter and he gets to look in the Mirror of Erised.

I had such a great time in Elementary School--I wish I had some class pictures, or some info from those days--I guess I REALLY need to get with it and write my Personal History.

And Junior High was a tough one--my dad died the end of Grade 6 and then my mom died during Grade 8. So I moved around a few times during Junior High--not exactly great memories.

Then there was high school--Oh, I loved high school. I had so much fun--I had a great group of friends. There were lots of nights out TPing, football games, sleepovers, and crank phone calls. (Not many dates--actually no dates ; (

I would love to have a picture of me 8 1/2 months pregnant with Stephen climbing a fence to get a kite for one of my niece's--I highly doubt I could have done that at 40 when I was pregnant with Kyle ; )

I would love to have a picture taken the day I was baptized--such a great memory. I remember my friend, Janice, hosted a dinner at her house. A day that totally changed my life.

One of the blessings of not having many pictures of me when I was younger is I can try to convince all of you that I haven't changed much, but alas, I did find some pictures--so here's the reminder I needed for those moments when I don't think I have aged.

With my sisters, many, many years ago. Do you have a clue which one of these girls is me????



















It was the 70's--skirts were short!!!!

























O.K. You realize how old you are when you type "this picture was taken 38 years ago".
























In case you are wondering how long I've had this "eye closing" challenge--IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME!!!!


















1982 when we were married.





















Our first Christmas together as a family--on our way to Reno we stopped at Boreal.




















At a New Year's Eve dance in 1987.






















This is my "MEAN MOTHER-IN-LAW" picture. Poor Daphne, had just gotten out of the hospital after having a C-section.











A crazy family shot 1991.

















The last picture we have with my father-in-law--1999.


















And then our fabulous trip to Hawaii this past summer.


















It's been a great 58 years. Life has had it's challenges, but I have truly been blessed. I have wonderful friends, a fantastic family, great children, stepchildren, grandchildren, and even a great grandson. I'm so grateful to have the knowledge that I'm a daughter of God, and there is a purpose for my life. I am thankful each and every day that this guy has been by my side for the past 26 years and he will be with me FOREVER.














I hope you all enjoy MY SPECIAL DAY. In the words of Kool and the Gang--"Let's all celebrate and have a good time".







By the way, special thanks to Chellie for the lovely birthday card I received in the mail today. Thanks, my sweet friend.

Also, thanks to Nancyface for the wonderful birthday package with all those goodies. She knows me so well and sent me wonderful treats from Gooseberry Patch. I was so excited when the Post Lady came when the package (although I felt very sorry for her having to brave the cold, cold temperatures ; ) Thank you for the sweet note, nancy.


51 comments:

glittersmama said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne! I hope your day is fabulous.

Corrine said...

happy happy birthday! it's my little Bee's birthday!!

chellie said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne. Such wonderful memories. I know you've mentioned to me that your parents passed away when you were quite young - but my oh my, they sure are looking down at you smiling. You are amazing!
Such great pictures to go on your birthday post. I love my birthday too. I hope your day is as wonderful as you are.

Love ya & happy happy birthday!!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a wonderful birthday and a great year to come. You are amazing and I love your pictures.
58 is good and the best is yet to come.
Love n' hugs

Macy said...

Happy birthday! Stay warm and eat lots of chocolate! :)

Nancy Face said...

Happy happy birthday, sweet Yvonne! I really loved this birthday post so much! :)

I wish you had pictures of the memories you talked about! The pictures you DO have are great! :)

Nancy Face said...

Your package already arrived? YAY!!! I'm so happy! I thought it would take lots longer! :D

Have a GREAT day!!! :D

aurora said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope that you have a glorious day!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

annie said...

Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday sweet Yvonne.
Happy Birthday to you.
And many more...

Lauren said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YVONNE!!!! I love you!

Tonya said...

Happy happy Birthday Yvonne. I hope it's a great one. You are an amazing woman.

I don't have many pictures of me as a child either so I know what you mean.

Annie said...

Happy Birthday! I loved looking at all your photos. You have such a blessed life and it is well deserved. Spending the weekend with you in Oregon this past year I truly loved getting to know you and admire your spirituality and your depth of compassion without denying your fun side. Here's to a wonderful year with many more to come.

Mel said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne! I hope you have a spectacular day!

Yvonne said...

I appreciate so much the comments and the birthday wishes.

glittersmama: Thank you so much. It WILL be fabulous.

corrine: Thanks and a very happy birthday to Bee.

chellie: I can't believe you took time out of your packing--thanks for the sweet comment.

Love ya, too.

natalie: Thanks so much. I hope everything is going well on your mission. Hugs to you, too.

macy: I made carmel brownies for our party tonight and have eaten WEIGH, WEIGH too many ; ) LOL

nancyface: Thank you--you are such a great friend. I can't wait to try all those goodies from your package.

It will be a great day.

aurora: Thanks so much.

annie: Thanks for the song.

lauren: Oh, sweet lauren, thanks--love you, too.

tonya: I'm grateful for the memories and hope they never fade from my mind. Thank you.

annie: I'm glad you liked the photos. I am very blessed. Thank you for your kind words. I enjoyed our time in Oregon and glad you saw that I do have a fun side--some time it's not always obvious.

mel: Thank you so much.

PJ said...

fUn pOsT!

I wish that I could see all the pictures you didn't take:)

I remember my first day of Kindergarten too.

Happy Birthday!

Nancy Face said...

I was in a hurry this morning because I had to go to work, so now I'm back with a song! :D

Nancy Face said...

This month is
Such a special one!
It's birthday time for you!
I'd really like to celebrate
Your happy day with you!
Zip-a-dee-ay and heigh-dee-ho,
Here's something I can do!
I'll sing a song that we all know,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

♥♥♥♥♥ Nancy Face :)

Klin said...

Ditto to the song above. Nancy Face beat me to it. It's my fav from the children's song book.

Happy Birthday Yvonne. A great Lady deserves a great day to celebrate.

I love that you love our birthday.

(Are you the little blond one in front?)

Sheri said...

Happy Birthday to a Fabulous Lady! Hope it's everything you dream of!

txmommy said...

Happy Happy Birthday Yvonne dear,
Happy days will come to you all year
If I had one wish, than it would be
a happy happy birthday to you from me!

Theresa said...

That's an awesome way of documenting your birthday!!! Thanks for sharing :) And - happy birthday! Btw, we heard Kyle play the piano last night at the youth dance - that's a kid with loads of talent, WOW! :)

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne! I love all your pictures!! I hope you had a fantastic day today :)

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne.
I always love all your cool photos.
You are a special lady with a special family. Enjoy your day!
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Heffalump said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Romy said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you know how much I love and admire you!

Yvonne said...

pj: Oh beleive me I wish I had those pictures, too. As long as the memory holds out, I can see it in my mind.

Your first day of kindergarten was not that long ago ; )

Thanks.

nancyface: A song--how fun!!!

I love it--the only thing better is if you were here to sing it to me. Hugs.

klin: You know I don't rememer hearing that in the children's songbook.

No I'm in the front with my hands folded in my lap.

sheri: Thank you so much.

txmommy: Thank you for singing to me.

theresa: Thanks. And thank you for your sweet comment about Kyle. Allan and I were saying how much we're going to miss his piano playing with he goes away to school.

melissa; Thanks. I have had a great day.

sheila: It has been a wonderful day. Thank you so much. You are very sweet.

heffalump: Thank you so much.

romy: Hugs, romy. We don't get to see each other often enough.

Shauna said...

~HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY~ L♥ve you l♥ts my precious friend!!! ♥ Hugs :)

utmommy said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Hope you have a wonderful day, you totally deserve it.

Tori :) said...

I'm sorry I didn't make it here on the big day. I did visit your Facebook page though.
Did you know you share a birthday with my ex husband? You have now made Jan 17 acceptable again. :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY my sweet friend.

Suzanne said...

Oh goodness, I'm sorry I missed your day, Yvonne!!! Happy Birthday! You are such a wonderful friend! I loved getting to see all your pictures. I think you're the top one on the right in the youngest pic of you and your sisters.

I hope you had such a wonderful day! You truly deserve it! ***hug***

No Cool Story said...

¡¡¡HAPPY BIRTHDAY YVONNE!!!!
I loved this post, so many pcitures and things I didn't know about you.
My fav is got to be your wedding picture. Awww, you have one awesome, big family, congrats Yvonne, you deserve it.

No Cool Story said...

"MEAN MOTHER-IN-LAW" picture.

Yah, whatever!

Yvonne said...

shauna: Thanks for the birthday wishes and the hug.

utmommy: Thanks. I had a great birthday.

tori: No worries--I appreciate the message on facebook.

I'm sorry that I share a birthday with him--but we also share one with Benjamin Franklin ; )

Thanks so much, tori. You are such a sweetie.

suzanne: No problem, suzanne.

In the picture with my sisters I am in the front row with my hands folded on my lap.

Thanks for the hug--it was a great day.

NCS: Thank you. It's always hard to write things because so often I feel like I'm repeating info about myself--so thanks for making me feel like that's o.k.

Corrine said...

hey girl gave you an award for your birthday :)

JustRandi said...

Oh, Yvonne!! Happy birthday!

I will always count my lucky stars that I "met" you. You've been a wonderful example to me of non-judegmentalness, patience, and generosity.

Thank-you for being a wonderful part of my life.

Nancy Face said...

Hey! I was just reading Busy Bee Lauren's blog, and she sent me over here to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! ;)

Belated Happy Birthday, my dear friend! :D

Stacey said...

I just came over from Lauren's blog. Those are some cute pictures!

Happy belated birthday!

S said...

Man I missed it! Actually maybe not, do you celebrate the whole month???? I love love the pictures! Send me your email and i will send you some K-love! http://saysayreality.blogspot.com/

you won't be sorry!!! LOL

Happy Birthday!

Magirk said...

Ugh! How do I always miss these things?!

Happy (belated) Birthday, Yvonne. :-) I hope it was a wonderful day for you.

You have a lot of great, fun memories and pictures here.

I hope you have many, many more years of fun and happiness with family and friends.

Happy Birthday!!

Ann Marie said...

Hi!
I have never visited before, but I wanted to just drop in and say Happy Birthday! I also loved all of your photos! You have a lovely family..
I was impressed going back to Laurens 100 and 200 posts and seeing you as one of her faithful commenters and friends way back. I think that is awesome you are still so faithful! She's lucky to have you as a friend!!
Hope your week is great!
~ Ann Marie

omar said...

Happy birthday!

I can't believe you quoted Kool and the Gang. That just made my day. (Had you quoted the Jackson 5, it would have made my week. FYI.)

Yvonne said...

corrine: Oh, thank you so much.

justrandi: If only those attributes were me ; )
I'm striving to be a better person. Thanks. I know one day we will "really" meet.

nancyface: It is so nice of lauren to do that--you know I love you both ; )

stacey: Thank you for coming by--I really appreciate your birthday wishes.

s: Of course, I ceelebrate the whole month ; ) When you get this old you never know how many birthdays you have left ; )

I'll stop by.

magirk: Thanks so much. It was a wonderful day.

I, too, hope there are a whole lot more years left.

ann marie: Thanks for coming by and for leaving such a sweet comment. I have been reading Lauren and nancy's blog for a long time--and have been able to meet them both--they are as sweet and wonderful in "real life" as they are on their blog.

omar: Thanks for coming by and for leaving a comment. Love that you noticed the Kool and the Gang reference ; ) (Wish I had come up with something regarding the Jackson 5--would have loved to have made your week)

Jensen Family :) said...

Happy Birthday Yvonne! What a cool name, I like to say it, I like to type it! It is a great name! Yavonne, Yavonne, Yavonne! Hope your year is as great as your awesome name!

Chelli said...

I can see that I'm a little late to the party....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Fifty eight? May I look so good when I'm that age.

Wishes for a great year, many more great trips and more great moments to take more pictures.

Hannahkin said...

hi Yvonne! i was sent here by the Laurenator... :)

happy belated birthday! only the best of us are January babies, wouldn't you agree? ;) (my birthday is tomorrow - whoop!)

your blog is great, and you look AMAZING at 58! plus, that's not so old :) you're still a spring chicken!

oh, and i gots to agree with Omar - the Kool & The Gang reference is AWESOME :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Yvonne said...

jensen family: Thanks for the sweet comment. I am glad my parents named me yvonne--I kind of like the name.

chelli: Glad you came by. Doesn't matter that you were late. Thanks for the nice comment.

hannahkin: I'm so glad you came by. Happy Birthday tomorrow.

A spring chicken--ha, ha.

Glad you liked the Kool and the Gang reference.

Heather Perry said...

Happy late birthday Yvonne! I love the pictures.

Liam's Mom said...

Happy belated Birthday, Yvonne! You are a true beauty in every way! I admire you so much!

Amanda said...

Yvonne, I am sorry I missed your birthday. :( I hope you had a great day! I love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. You have had a wonderul 58 years! :)

Jodi said...

Okay! I am a lame and awful and slothful bloggy friend! I am so sorry I didn't go over here sooner to wish you a Happy Birthday! I have been the worst blog hopper the past couple of weeks because I have been buried in life and just being able to post on my own blog is all I have been able to do lately. So PLEASE forgive me!!!!!

I hope it was the best birthday EVER!!!! I love all those pix!!! I absolutely can NOT believe you are 58 ! You surely don't look it!!!

Love and hugs!!! ♥♥♥

technology said...

Runescape Account
Runescape Accounts