Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 11--Ten Things I Love: Letter "A"

Happy Valentines Day. In honor of this wonderful day of love, I will post Ten Very Special Things That I LOVE






























1) Allan--I have tried very hard not to put these in any kind of order, but today I have to put ALLAN first. After 26 1/2 years of marriage we have so many wonderful memories. Life is just so much easier because we are experiencing it together. I have so many love letters that he has given me throughout the years that I will cherish forever. Even through the tough times he stands so strong and faithful--I just admire him so much. So many nights when there is a challenge we are facing, I go to bed and am tossing and turning while he is snoring away. It used to bother me, but now I realize he does not worry because he just knows it will all be o.k. I love him s much for his great faith. He serves so faithfully whatever he is called to do and loves the people he serves. He tries so hard to help me see the good in everything and everyone, and that is one of the things I love most about him.




















2) Amazing People Like Helen and Les. As I mentioned when I started these "Ten Things I Love" posts, this day is very special to me because of these amazing people. Even though they have both passed away, they are such an important part of who I am. I was trying to put an article here that ran in our local newspaper when we celebrated our 15th anniversary of living with Helen and Les, but can only post this picture of Les with 4 of my sisters. Les said to the reporter who interviewed him, "I don't think it was anything special. I still don't think it was. I got much more out of it than I put into it. It was something we wanted to do and we did it." Just kind of tells you what kind of couple they were. I remember working on the house with him when he was remodeling it to accommodate the addition to the family--it was so fun. Tomorrow these 4 of my sisters (who all live in California) will gather together to celebrate the lives of these two special people. They will play games and have Italian take-out from our favorite restaurant--which was a tradition when we would get together. I wish I could be there and not just for the ravioli, french bread, and barley soup ; )

3) Airplanes--I feel terrible writing this in light of that horrible accident Thursday night, but I am very grateful that airplanes are available to make travel so much better. I'm not exactly happy with the airlines charging for every piece of luggage--for crying out loud, just charge more for the ticket. I guess one day it really will be like that youtube video where you pay for every thing (including the oxygen mask ; )





4) Amanda--She is my oldest granddaughter and is a very special young lady. She never ceases to amaze me. She is a beautiful and caring young lady. I have so many great memories of her visiting us when she was just a little girl. She, Heidi, Brent, and Chris would play together for hours. Just the other day when I posted the picture of Allan and Kyle in their respective offices, Amanda's comment was "I miss jailbreak". Too difficult to explain, but they had so much fun. I am so excited that she and Darren will be getting married this summer and they will begin a new chapter in their lives.

5) Atonement of Jesus Christ--I love that the Atonement is available for all of us. It is such a blessing in my life. This year as we have been studying the New Testament, I have made more of an effort to seek to really understand what the Atonement means to me and every day I am more grateful for it.

6) Air Conditioning--Maybe not this time of year, but in the summer I so love being able to turn on my air conditioning. Hey when it gets too cold, you can always throw on another sweater or a blanket, but not much you can do when it gets too hot ; )

7) Air Freshener--I can't say enough about how much I love air freshener--sometimes, well, I NEED IT PRETTY BAD ; ) I even carry that pocket stuff in my purse because not everyone has it in their bathrooms.

8) Academy Awards--I love movies and for years have enjoyed watching the Academy Awards. I have to admit, most of the time I haven't seen a lot of the nominated movies. This year, is an exception because I haven't seen a single Best Picture nominee.





9) America--Of course, I love America--I am proud to be an American. (For all my Canadian friends, and that includes Kyle, that does not diminish the fact that I love living in Canada.) (The above picture is from Girls Camp a few years ago--our Stake has a unit that is in the U.S. so we fly both flags--isn't that cool ; )

10) Aurora Borealis--We have been fortunate to see the Northern Lights here a few times and they truly do take my breath away. When we first say them, I didn't have a clue what it was (actually, Heidi was the first one to spot them ; ) They really are something to see.



19 comments:

JustRandi said...

Ahhh, this is my favorite list of all.
Amazing,is what you are, Yvonne.

also
Admirable
Awesome
and
Addictive!

Neal said...

I wish I had known Helen...it would have been fun to watch her and Les together.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Great seeing who/what made the [A] list.

I hope you have [a] memorable day.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Natalie said...

Love your A list.
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO AN AWESOME, ADMIRABLE AND lOVED WOMAN.

Love n' hugs

glittersmama said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Millie said...

I knew Allen would be on this one when I saw the letter of the day. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

No Cool Story said...

Sweetness.

Happy Valentine's day!!

Heffalump said...

Awesome list! Happy Valentine's Day!

Klin said...

I just love these lists.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

chellie said...

Sweet! Yay for Allan and for Les and Helen... I am so intrigued when I hear about them. I love hearing your story.

Another great list. So many things to love - you did a great job recognizing it all.

PJ said...

I give yo an A+ on you "A" list!

I hope you had a great Valentine's Day

Amber said...

What a wonderful list and so cute and creative as always. I am sure your hubby is honored to be number 1 and would say the same about you. :-)

Tiffany said...

I had to laugh at air freshner. In a house full of boys, even little ones, that is a must! Love the list!:)

Nancy Face said...

Another lovely "A" word came to me as I read about Helen and Les: ANGELS! :)

I would so love to see the Aurora Borealis! :)

Valerie said...

Happy Valentine's Day!! (sorry I'm late!)

I can think of two A's that are very near and dear to my own heart. ♥♥ :D

Jodi said...

Gosh for a second there I thought Jennifer "A"niston had visited your blog!

I "A" gree with the others...
A plus A list!

Romy said...

I greatly Admire your #1 on this list! You and he are both Amazingly Awesome in my book! It was Absolutely Astounding to see the flag pole from our Astonishingly Awe-inspiring YW camp! I will miss it this year, but look forward to the...I've run out of "A" adjectives...tremendous Adventure that will be Trek!!

Yvonne said...

justrandi: Oh, you are far too kind.

neal: You would have loved her, neal.

sheila: I did have A wonderful one.

natalie: Thank you so much. Hope you had a great day.

glittersmama: Thanks -- hope you had a fun day.

millie: Of course he would be on the "A" list.

Hope you had a Happy day.

NCS: Thanks. Hope your day was great.

heffalump: Thanks so much--hope you enjoyed your Valentine's Day.

klin: Thank you and thanks for the blogging bling. It's on my sidebar and I love it.

chellie: I love talking about Allan and expressing my love and admiration for Helen and Les.

Thank you.

pj: We had a wonderful Valentine's Day--thank you.

amber: Thanks--I'm pretty sure I'd be his #1, too.

tiffany: Have to have air freshener. Thanks.

nancyface: They definitely were angels to us.

The northern lights are amazing.

valerie: I bet you can ; )

Hope you had a great day.

jodi: Oh yes, Jennifer and I are very good friends ; )

Thanks.

romy: Oh, you are A sweetie. You know how much we love you.

I thought you'd love the flagpole. I have such great memories from camp.

Trek will be awesome--the fireside last night was a great kick-off for it.

Ashley said...

"A" is one of my favorite letters. (wink) I would love to see the Northern lights. Someday. I am greatful for air conditioning. All those summers in Texas would have been completely miserable with out it. GreAt list, I enjoyed reading it!