Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 18--Ten Things I Love: Letter "W"

This is it, the last week of my ten things. Sheila asked if I did these all ahead of time or just posted them each day. I did work on the list throughout the month--I had a little pad on my nightstand and when I would think of something I loved I would write it down. I wasn't sure if I would come up with Ten Things I Love for the letter "W", but it was a fun list to do:

1) Walks--I love walks because when Allan and I were dating we went on walks ALL THE TIME. (I think it was a way for us to get away from his kids and mine (goodness knows they wouldn't have wanted to go walking with us ; ) We both loving being outdoors and it did wonders for my keeping weight off so I could fit in my wedding dress ; )

2) Washing machines--I know I could never live in pioneer times--washing my clothes by the side of a river against a rock would not be my idea of fun. I like just throwing them in my washing machine, adding soap, and not worrying about them. Of course, I'm still looking forward to the day when they invent a machine that will take them out of the dryer and put them into the dryer. Better yet, will take them out of the washer and PUT THEM AWAY!!!! When I was a little girl we had a wringer washer (most of you young little things won't know what that is--maybe you've seen them in OLD, OLD, OLD movies. I was always afraid I was going to get my hand stuck in the wringer. Fortunately never did.





3) Wendy--I love Allan's daughter, Wendy. She used to be my hairdresser, and although I appreciate my current hairdresser and what she can do with my hair, I LOVED the fact that Wendy always knew just what to do. When she was young, I was her CTR-B teacher and still remember attending her baptism and bringing her chocolate chip cookies. She and Stephen are the same age and they were both 12 when we got married. When I would meet people later and they would ask about the ages of our children it was always confusing to say I had to children the same age who were not twins ; ) She and her husband, Tony, are such a cute couple. I just love to watch them together--they obviously love each other.

4) Water--I used to drink a whole lot more soda, but today I really prefer water.

5) Whip Cream--You know I'm not sure if it is whipped cream or whip cream, but whatever it is I LOVE IT. Whenever I get a sundae or banana split and they ask if I want whipped cream, I look at them like, ARE YOU KIDDING?????? You are all probably much more clever than I am, but a little trick when you are whipping your own whipped cream, put your bowl and beaters in the freezer for a couple of hours before and it whips up much better.

6) Wildflowers--I love when we are driving and we pass a field of wildflowers. I wish I knew my flowers better. I used to work for a seed company and used to know the names of some of the flowers--there are such gorgeous ones.

7) World--As I was thinking about the wildflowers, I thought about what a beautiful world we have and I LOVE IT. There may be some things that are not good, and it can get a little scary. For the most part, I think we have a pretty terrific world and I'm grateful to be living at this time.

8) Weekends--I love my weekends. I love Saturdays because I get to relax a bit more than I do the rest of the week and everyone is home--well at least more than other days. Sundays may not be much of a day of rest, but I still love them.

9) Weddings--I'm so excited about our upcoming weddings in May and July. (I should have gotten permission from Macy to post one of the engagement pictures of them that she took, but I wasn't on the ball and didn't. They are copyrighted ; ( I am excited because Allan will perform the wedding of our grandson, Chris and his fiancee, Heather. It will be so great to have Heather in our family. We also will inherit a grandson-in-law when Darren and Amanda are married in July. I attended a wedding reception on Saturday night for one of Heidi's really good friends. She was married last weekend in the Cardston Alberta temple. Jacquie looked so lovely and so happy.

10) Windows--My house has lots of windows and I love the windows because I love the light that comes through. I love to sit on my couch and look out the windows when the snow is falling. It's so pretty. Or when I'm on vacation I love looking out he window of my hotel room at the beautiful mountains or lake or pool or whatever else is out my window.

SIDENOTE: I just received a little Valentine surprise in the mail from NCS. It was a cute Valentine, some yummy chocolate candies and a cute pencil and pad. Thanks, NCS, that totally brightened my day. Hugs.

8 comments:

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Since #2 happened to be Washing Machines and you could never live in pioneer times... I thought one day you still may need the recipe.

So here goes:
WASHING CLOTHES RECIPE-
NEVER THOUGHT OF A "WASHER" IN THIS LIGHT BEFORE...WHAT A BLESSING!

WASHING CLOTHES RECIPE -- IMAGINE HAVING A RECIPE FOR THIS ! ! !
YEARS AGO AN ALABAMA GRANDMOTHER GAVE THE NEW BRIDE THE FOLLOWING RECIPE:

THIS IS AN EXACT COPY AS WRITTEN AND FOUND IN AN OLD SCRAPBOOK - WITH SPELLING ERRORS AND ALL.

WASHING CLOTHES

* BUILD FIRE IN BACKYARD TO HEAT KETTLE OF RAIN WATER.
* SET TUBS SO SMOKE WONT BLOW IN EYES IF WIND IS PERT.
* SHAVE ONE HOLE CAKE OF LIE SOAP IN BOILIN WATER.

* SORT THINGS, MAKE 3 PILES
1 PILE WHITE, 1 PILE COLORED, 1 PILE WORK BRITCHES AND RAGS.

* TO MAKE STARCH, STIR FLOUR IN COOL WATER TO SMOOTH, THEN THIN DOWN WITH BOILING WATER.


* TAKE WHITE THINGS, RUB DIRTY SPOTS ON BOARD, SCRUB HARD, AND BOIL, THEN RUB COLORED...DON'T BOIL, JUST WRENCH AND STARCH. TAKE THINGS OUT OF KETTLE WITH BROOM STICK HANDLE, THEN WRENCH, AND STARCH.

* HANG OLD RAGS ON FENCE.

* SPREAD TEA TOWELS ON GRASS.

* PORE WRENCH WATER IN FLOWER BED.

* SCRUB PORCH WITH HOT SOAPY WATER.

* TURN TUBS UPSIDE DOWN.


GO PUT ON CLEAN DRESS, SMOOTH HAIR WITH HAIR COMBS. BREW CUP OF TEA, SIT AND ROCK A SPELL AND COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS.
___________________________________
PASTE THIS OVER YOUR WASHER AND DRYER. NEXT TIME WHEN YOU THINK THINGS ARE BLEAK, READ IT AGAIN, KISS THAT WASHING MACHINE AND DRYER, AND GIVE THANKS.

FIRST THING EACH MORNING YOU SHOUL RUN AND HUG YOUR WASHER AND DRYER, ALSO YOUR TOILET. THOSE TWO-HOLERS USED TO GET MIGHTY COLD!

FOR YOU NON-SOUTHERNERS.
WRENCH MEANS RINSE.

JustRandi said...

*sigh*
If only I planned ahead enough to do ANYTHING an hour before I wanted to eat whip(ped)cream!

Natalie said...

Wow, I just read the recipe for washing clothes and boy am I glad I don't have to do that. I'm not too fond of my brand new washing machine here in Belgium. It runs forever, about 1hr40min and the clothes are not clean. We have to prewash lots of clothes and white shirts have to have color and cuffs scrubbed by hand each time. I will be so happy to have a real US washing machine.
I have really enjoyed your posts on the things you love. Thanks for sharing.

Liam's Mom said...

This is a GREAT list! I love weekends and weddings. Whipped cream I pass on, but I know my kind are rare.

chellie said...

I love Wonderful people like you! I love your lists - I know you have thought about it and spent time on it and you have done a great job!

Klin said...

This is totally my favorite one. I don't know Wendy personally, but I've read good things about her on this here blog.

I love my washer and dryer. There is a small Maytag machine that will wash and then dry in one unit. It doesn't do big enough loads so I passed on it, but that's almost to the taking it out of the washer and putting it away part. Almost.

Romy said...

I had to laugh when I read #2! I remembered that one of the very first things I did the day after I came home from my mission was to hug and kiss our washing machine! Serving in the Philippines sure put a lot of things in perspective for me! We were blessed enough to have people to do (read - handwash) our laundry in my first 3 areas, but in my 4th and final area, I had that "privilege"! Hahaha! Two to three hours every preparation day for three and a half months! Thankfully it was my last area, and so I wasn't as concerned as I would have been had it been my first area! "Looks clean, smells clean...good enough!" Hahaha!

On a side note, our washing machine "gave up the ghost" a couple of days after our "touching" reunion...so we got a new one. I was reminded how blessed we are to live in Canada, because I knew that there are literally millions of people in the Philippines (and all over the world) who would never own one in their lifetime!

Heffalump said...

You always say you were afraid you couldn't come up with ten things and then you always come up with a great list!
I think they should invent a machine that will do BOTH the washing and the drying. That would make me happy.