Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 7--Ten Things I Love: Letter "S"

I could have come up with SEVERAL things that I love that start with the letter "S" but since I have stayed with 10, here is my Ten Things I Love:



1) Scriptures--I love reading, studying and pondering the scriptures. There is so much to learn. We are currently in Acts and are studying Stephen and will be going on to Saul/Paul. I have studied these chapters many times, but it is so wonderful to see something new in a particular story or verse. I love it.

2) Sunshine--One of the things I love about living in Winnipeg is that for the most part, the sun shines. I love the sunshine. In the words of John Denver, "Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy". Of course, I'd much rather be walking in the sand on the beach in Hawaii with the sun shining on me, but hey, you just can't do that EVERY DAY ; ), so I may have to just settle for walking in the sunshine with my hat, gloves, heavy coat, boots and scarf.




3) Seminary--I love so many things about Seminary--preparing a lesson every day is tough, but it sure does enable/cause me to spend a lot of time studying.  (I guess I'm just not disciplined enough to make that time when I don't HAVE TO  prepare a lesson.)  I love being able to spend time with these fantastic youth every morning.  It is such an awesome responsibility, but I know that with the Lord's help I can meet the challenge.  I have to say what a delight it is to have Kyle in my class.  It will be a memory I will cherish forever. BTW, had another day off Seminary this morning.

However, I really didn't need to cancel Seminary--the kids could have done what this guy did and just SKATED TO THE CHURCH!!!!Gives you an idea of how icy the roads were ; )





4) Stephen--For the first 12 years of his life, it was just him and me--consequently we are very close.   I know I have written about the surprise birthday party he threw for me when he was 10--but I'm sorry it is such a great memory. He has grown into a fantastic man and is a wonderful husband and father. He is very involved in his community coaching Little League and Football.

5) Seasons--One of the nice things about living in Winnipeg is the seasons--4 seasons--well actually 3 1/2.   I love watching the change of the colors in the fall.  If winter was just a little shorter, I'd be happy.  

6) Sleeping--I was going to say I love my bed but I realize I JUST LOVE SLEEPING because the older I get the more I realize I can sleep just about anywhere. My favorite place is on the airplane--I'm usually SOUND ASLEEP before we ever take off ; ) I don't dream much--or if I do, I don't remember them.




7) Sisters--I love my sisters.  I really don't get a chance to see them as often as I would like but when we get together we always have a great time. Allan always laughs when he hears us talking to each other--we are very much alike. We have been through a lot and I'm so grateful that they are my sisters.

8) Snow--I may hate driving in it, but I love looking out and seeing freshly fallen snow. It is so beautiful.

9) Scrapbooking--I really don't take the time to scrapbook as much as I used to, but I love doing it so much. I'd like to say it is very relaxing for me, but it isn't. My biggest challenge is that I spend way too much time looking at the pictures and reminiscing. But whatever, the results are always great.



10) Scarlett--My granddaughter-in-law. Next to my great-grandson she is the newest member of our family. I really have not had much of an opportunity to get to know her, but I look forward to many opportunities to get to know her better. She loves my grandson--and isn't that what every grandma wants ; )





17 comments:

Romy said...

Hooray for SUNSHINE! I sure miss it today!

I also miss the more intensive studying of the SCRIPTURES while prepping lessons for SEMINARY! At times I'm amazed that I was able to teach the entire four-year cycle...considering how much I too love SLEEPING in...especially during the SEASON of SNOW and windchill! But it was an experience for which I'll be forever grateful!

P.S. I'm not as good as Neal in getting all of your list into my comment! He's great! :)

Sheri said...

I love these lists! It makes me think about why I am thnkful for the ame things or for others as I don't know Stephen of Scarlett! Sleep I could use right now, anytime anywhere!! Also a little sunshine would be great!

Corrine said...

i have been blog slacking lately! love these.

i think as long as there is sunshine i can endure the cold.

Magirk said...

Great list. :-)

I really could do without snow, though.

Okay, okay! It is pretty, I know. It's just sooooo cold.....! ;-)

PJ said...

Great S list!

Melissa said...

I miss the seasons! We have summer, coolish summer, summer and blazing hot summer.

Heffalump said...

Ah...another great list!
How cool that you get to teach your son in Seminary.

annie said...

Great "s" things!

I heart sleep :)

We're having tornados here today... ice storms last week, tornados this week. That's oklahoma.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

sunshine.
sisters.
sleep.

some of my favorites too!

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Nancy Face said...

I love SUGARY SNACKS! :D

Nancy Face said...

I like Stephen and Scarlett because YOU love them! Same thing with sisters, since I don't have any! ;)

I LOVE the other seven things you listed! YAY! :D

I'd enjoy seeing more season changes here! I'd also enjoy spending more time scrapbooking like I did before the blog got in the way! ;)

Nancy Face said...

John Denver is a favorite of mine! :)

Natalie said...

What a great list. I love your lists and can relate to many of the things you write. I love sunshine too. Unfortunately, we have had very little sun here. When it does peek out for a couple of hours, once in a while, we really enjoy it.
Have a wonderful week.
Love n' hugs

Valerie said...

My loved ones have been instructed that "Sunshine on my Shoulders" will be sung at my funeral (hopefully many many years away). I think I'm like you in that it defines me completely.
Sometimes I wish I could go to seminary again. I certainly didn't appreciate the opportunity when I had it in high school.

Yvonne said...

Romy: I can't wait for the sunshine again. Feels like it's been awhile.

I know what a great Seminary teacher you were. I think doing the whole 4 years is the only way to go. I must admit I wouldn't mind doing Book of Mormon again--I learned so much.

You did a great job with your comment--Neal would be proud.

Yvonne said...

Oops, I didn't mean to hit publish.

Sheri: Thanks. The whole reason I'm doing them is to keep me on the positive. Some days they help--others, well.

corrine: So true--sunshine helps a great deal.

magirk: I'm with you on that snow being a little too cold.

pj: Thanks.

melissa: Sometimes the heat is a little hard for me to take.

heffalump: I love teaching Kyle--it is a wonderful experience.

annie: I don't know how you deal with your weather--it looks very scary to me.

sheila: Thanks, mine, too.

nancyface: I can't believe I didn't think of sugary snacks.

Yeah, I may have to stop blogging to get back to scrapbooking.

Glad you like John Denver, too.

natalie: Thanks. Hope you get a little sunshine once in awhile.

valerie: I wish I had had the opportunity to go to Seminary. But then again, maybe I wouldn't have appreciated it.

chellie said...

It's no wonder that Stephen is such a wonderful father, person, husband, dad. He was truly blessed to be with just you and you did an AMAZING "job" as a mother. He is so very lucky!
I like scrapbooking too! Do you do it the traditional way? (i.e. paper, scissors, stickers, etc. or are you more digital?)