Monday, March 23, 2009

SO GLAD WE WENT


I haven't been to anything sports related--other than High School Sports--for so long. Going to Minneapolis to attend the First Round games at the Metrodome WAS A BLAST!!!!

Let me back up a little--A good friend of ours, Tom, mentioned to me some time ago that the first round games were being played in Minneapolis and I should go and catch a game with him. (He figured we could just try and buy tickets outside the stadium ; ) At the time it sounded like fun. As the tournament approached I started to think about it. When I mentioned it to Allan, he said, "why not?"  So Tom and I wrote notes back and forth and then Allan and I made hotel reservations. Well, then I started thinking about driving, paying for a hotel and not getting tickets, so I sent Tom a note and said I found some tickets using a broker--which I'll call Snub-tub. I knew they were legit but I was still a little worried.

Anyway, Thursday we headed out to Minneapolis. The drive was nice--weather was perfect. We got to our hotel which was decent. Called Tom who invited us to come over and have pizza with him and his wife and another couple and watch Minnesota play Texas. It was fun seeing him and Julie (who is such a lovely girl) and to meet their new baby, Eden. WHAT A DOLL. She was dressed as a little Gopher cheerleader. I had a great time playing with her. You have to know that Tom will always hold a special place in my heart. He is a young man who has always been such a great friend to Brent. It was fun to see him as a dad (I knew he would make a FABULOUS dad one day)



When the game was over, we headed back to our hotel and the next morning got up and headed to the pick up location for our Snub-Tub tickets. No problem picking them up--I WAS RELIEVED. We then headed to the stadium--parked and then went to see if we could find someone selling tickets. (Snub Tub's tickets were sold out) We had decided we wouldn't pay more than a certain amount. We paid exactly that amount and got two GREAT SEATS. I was really worried there would be a problem with the tickets. Well, we got in and I breathed a sigh of relief. We found our seats--which were great seats on the floor. Just shortly after the game started a couple of guys came up and had THE EXACT SAME TICKETS WE HAD--yikes. But Allan suggested they go find someone to sort it out. They never came back.

The first game we saw was Kansas vs. North Dakota State. For awhile it was a fairly close game. Lots of fun. We loved it. There were lots of ND State fans there--it was there first trip to the big dance, so it was great fun for them. So much excitement. End the end Kansas was victorious.

The next game was Dayton vs. West Virginia. (Frankly, I don't think West Virginia wanted it bad enough.) I was disappointed because I had them picked to go further in my pool. It was exciting for Dayton because they were a #11 and West Virginia was a #6. The mascot for West Virginia is a Mountaineer--I guess if I was going mascot against mascot, this one would definitely win--after all HE HAD A RIFLE. The Dayton Mascot is a "flyer"--you know a pilot ; )


























After that game we went to the parking lot and had a sandwich and pretzels--our next tickets were for the next session, so I guess we had to leave and present our next tickets. It worked out well because I had to do some reading. Time went by quickly and it was time for the evening games.

We found our seats which weren't in the nosebleed section (like I thought). The next game was USC and Boston College. I managed to get the tip-off on video, but for some reason can't seem to post the video ; (((( It was a great game. I was into that game because I REALLY WANTED USC to win.


The last game of the evening was Michigan State and Robert Morris. I have watched Tom Izzo coach for years so it was fun to see him in action. That game was VERY FAST PACED and a whole lot of fun to watch. We were surrounded by people cheering for both teams. I was happy that Michigan State won.


CAN I JUST SAY I WAS NOT THE LEAST BIT DISAPPOINTED. At one point I felt a little guilty because it was a fair amount of money to spend, but IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY. It's not something I would probably do again (UNLESS ONE DAY WE HAVE A CHANCE TO GO TO THE FINAL FOUR.)

21 comments:

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Its not often that I can be the first to comment at 6:11am my time.

These photos and you post make this event look like a ton of fun.

Whether it's stub hub, snub tub, any of these places that buy up all the tickets and sell them for a whole lot more money... I am not impressed.

Little Eden is a doll.
I think you two know people all over the world.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Carrot Jello said...

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow any mascot with a rifle at any game here. Heck, they'll hardly let citizens have rifles.

omar said...

I'm so so so so jealous right now!! I've never gone to an NCAA tournament game!

I've got some good friends who are from West Virginia (and went to WVU), I take every possible opportunity to make fun of their mascot.

Tom said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. Your pictures are great. It's fun to see the metrodome all done up for a basketball game.

You are welcome back whenever you'd like.

PJ said...

I am so glad you went, what a chance of a lifetime:)

Ashley said...

I hail from the state of college football (TEXAS!), but I think any college sport is more fun to watch than professional ones.

Jeremy would have l-o-v-e-d that. He is such a HUGE basketball fan. Glad your ticket situation worked out. Sounds like so much fun!

Neal said...

The funny thing is that your video showed up in the RSS feed for your blog. I just watched the tip-off ; )

sweetpea said...

Oh how fun! I'm glad you guys went--I'm totally jealous! We're glad MSU won too--that's our team!! Go Spartans!!

Sheri said...

That's awesome and sometimes it's fun to just do something for the heck of it! After all it's the memories that go with us, not the money!!

chellie said...

That is so cool! wow! I am so happy for you! Looks like a great time. I'm glad all the tickets worked out for you! :)

Klin said...

Looks like a lot of fun. It's so nice to know people in a lot of different areas.

Nancy Face said...

I'm so glad you got to go, and so glad that your tickets worked out well! :)

What a cute little cheerleader baby! :)

Tori :) said...

Holy AWESOME Yvonne!!! I am so jealous!! What a ton of fun.

Suzanne said...

Yvonne, I'm glad you had such a fun time!!! :)

Tonya said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. The photos are great. I'm glad you didn't have a problem with the people who said they had the same seats.

Corrine said...

how fun!!

Lei said...

What an adeventure! Not sports fans here but I could liken it to something I'm sure... sounds fun! Great pics!

Jodi said...

Now that looks like fun! ANd it something you will remember forever! Love the cheerleader outfit! What a QT!!!

txmommy said...

I've never been to a basketball game, but it sounds like you have a lot of fun! so yeah!!!

it sure does seem like you guys know lots of people!

JustRandi said...

So fun!!
I've never been a big basketball girl, but I love going to any game where it's close and the crowd is having a good time!
I'm so glad you had fun!

Valerie said...

Looks like you had fun! I'm glad you got to go!