Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Trip to Indiana

Our flight to Louisville was an interesting one. We left Winnipeg Saturday morning and flew to Minneapolis--fairly uneventful flight. Our flight from Minneapolis to Louisville--well, we were seated in row 5 and the captain came out of the cockpit and announced to the stewardess "I've lost power, we need to get these people off the plane". FORTUNATELY, we were still parked at the gate ; ) I turned to Allan and said, "Well better at the gate than in the air". The power ended up coming back on and all was fine and we took off just a little late.

We had a great visit with everyone in Indiana.  Yes, we flew to Louisville, but spent the majority of our time in Indiana.   We had dinner with our new little Xander.  He is such a good baby.  We then went to Target.  (Two great things at the same time:  Target and Xander.  Can you believe I walked out of Target without purchasing a thing for myself.  It was all about Xander and I had a blast getting things for him.





On Sunday Allan and I visited a Ward next to the Mission Office where he served his mission some 46 years ago. It was great.  We spent a little bit of time visiting with a few of the members and the Mission President and his wife.  I love visiting other wards throughout the Church--people are the same wherever you go.  







We then headed to Evan and Scarlett's.  We had a wonderful visit with them.  They have a lovely house.  Nancy brought Chinese food and we had lunch together.  After my grandson, Josh, and a couple of his friends arrived, Allan gave Xander a blessing. Even though Evan and Scarlett are not members of the Church they wanted Xander to have a blessing. Allan explained everything to them and then gave him a beautiful blessing. It was a lovely afternoon.









We took a 4 generation picture--too bad Allan's mom wasn't there because it would have been so fun to have a 5 generation pic. Nancy was joking that she should have been the one to hold the baby in the picture, so we had to take a pouty picture.











I am so grateful we were able to make the trip. It is so wonderful to have the opportunity to spend time with family. I appreciate so much my husband who works so hard to be such a loving father, grandfather, and now great grandfather. He is THE BEST!!!

Our trip home was fairly uneventful.




24 comments:

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

Frankly,
with all the flying you guys do...
it is a blessing that you never have had a serious flight incident. Maybe you have... ?

Fun trip this time. Actually all of your trips sound like fun.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

JustRandi said...

What a fun weekend! I'm so glad you got to go. and I'm with ya about the power thing. At least it was on the ground. Did it make you nervous to stay on the plane?

glittersmama said...

I think we were within shouting distance while you were there. bummer.

Neal said...

Great post - I love that you took the time to visit the ol' Mission Office. I would have LOVED to hear Dad tell stories...we need to record those!!!!!

Lauren said...

That pouty picture is so cute :)

I am glad you got to go to Target...and see Xander!

Corrine said...

such a cute picture with them all poutting!! looks like a fun vacation...and can't believe you did not buy anything at target kuddos!

Natalie said...

What a fun trip. Babies are the best and little Xander is adorable. I have an Alexander John and he used to think that his name was Alec xander john ....:)
So glad the plane was ok. I would have been so nervous.
I'm going to be a great-grandma. Tx Mommy's oldest is going to have a baby. Yah!

Heffalump said...

Babies and Target...is there a better combination?
It sounds like you had a wonderful visit! Glad you got there and home again safely.

Magirk said...

Cute pictures. :)

Sounds like a lovely time.

(P.S. - I like Target too!)

Klin said...

I love how in the pouty picture that Evan and Xander are not pouty. They look happy to be together!

txmommy said...

I would have passed out if that announcement came on a flight I was on!

What a darling baby. Sounds like a good weekend!

Macy said...

That is so Nancy. :)

aurora said...

My heart skipped a beat when you said that the plane lost power etc.! don't do that! ☺
Glad that it was such a nice trip. Baby is beautiful. ♥

Valerie said...

Welcome home!! I'm glad you're safe! I'm sure that announcement from the pilot was slightly unnerving!! The baby is very, very cute. Allan makes a HILARIOUS pouty face!!

Jodi said...

Oh how exciting that your hubby served in Indiana! That is where my oldest son also served! We went there to pick him up. I loved it there!

I am trying to catch up on all your wonderful posts! I have been a sicko for a while and a major slacker at blog hopping! I can see I have really missed out! And I had to go grab some M&M's thank you very much because of your tantalizing picture!!!!

carolyne b said...

call me crazy, but I would have picked up my carry on and run for the door. Nope you guessed it I am not a good flyer, and unfortunally my in-laws all live in England. Going over to visit is a big thing; every little bump and I darn near pass out.
So Yvonne I commend you for your courage.

Tonya said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. You have the cutest family. I'm sorry that I've been MIA for awhile. Just too much going on but I've been thinking about you.

Whitney said...

Sounds like you had a fun trip! I would have freaked out if I heard the pilot say he lost power, but like you said, at least you weren't in the air!!!

sweetpea said...

My heart skipped a beat--then I read you were on the ground. Whew! Sounds like a really great trip--

Yvonne said...

Really, there was nothing to be worried about.

sheila: No serious flight incidents.

This was a GREAT trip.

justrandi: No, it didn't make me nervous. I take my cue from the stewardess's and from Allan, if they're not nervous, why should I be nervous?

glittersmama: Oh, I wish I had known. It would have been so fun to see you again.

neal: I'm sure there are people in the family who will be happy to tell you all about his stories ; )

lauren: Isn't it funny?

Target was great, but Xander was MUCH BETTER

corrine: It was a fun short trip. So glad to be there.

natalie: I'm really loving his name.

I know you must be so excited about becoming a great grandma--you will love it.

heffalump; I agree about babies and target.

The visit was fantastic.

magirk: It was great. I wish they would build a Target here ; (((((

klin: Evan and Xander were very happy--and so was everyone else.

txmommy: How much longer till you become a grandma--I hope your daughter is doing well.

It was a fun trip.

macy: She is having a great time being a grandma.

aurora: Thank you--he is a real cutie. Can't wait to see him again.

valerie: Thanks--great to be home. It really wasn't scary--I know the airlines are very careful.

Allan can make some great faces.

jodi: Where exactly did your son serve? There was a woman who came up to Allan after the meeting. She was living there when he served, but didn't remember him. (Hey, I can't remember the missionaries that went home 6 months ago, how could anyone remember one from 46 years ago. He does look a tad different ; )

Hope you're feeling better.

carolynneb: No courage--just didn't worry about it.

tonya: You are a sweetie--thanks.

whitney: I would have freaked, too, if I had been in the air. No problem on the ground.

sweetpea--It was a great trip.

Nancy Face said...

What a wonderful time with family! I love your 4 generation pictures! :)

Nancy Face said...

If I heard the captain say these words:

"I've lost power, we need to get these people off the plane"...

I would have been off that plane, and that would have been the end of it! :0

Liam's Mom said...

I am jealous of your Indiana trip! That is where I grew up. My parents are in Lebanon - the Lafayette Stake.

Love that pouty photo. I have one of me doing that at age 8 when we were taking photos of a new baby cousin... she was MY baby!

Suzanne said...

That would have been so scary to fly on the plane after it had lost power! Yikes! I'm glad you guys made it there and home safely.

LOL at the pouty picture. That is hilarious!!! Xander looks so cute! That's great you were able to spend time with your family.

And how fun that Allan got to sight see around his old mission. We have yet to do that, but I'm hoping we'll get there eventually!