Saturday, April 18, 2009

Keeping Perspective

Recently a good friend sent me a talk by S. Michael Wilcox that was given at BYU Hawaii. In the talk he mentioned (among other things) that we worship a "4th Watch God". The thought is taken from the scripture in Mark where the apostles are rowing and rowing or as the scriptures say, " toiling in rowing, for the wind was contrary to them, and about the fourth watch of the night, he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea." (Mark 6:48) Brother Wilcox goes on to say:  "There are times in our lives when we toil, rowing against the wind. We are trying to make progress and sometimes it seems that there are forces that are against us.  There may be some great blessing we deeply desire.  There may be some trial that we want deeply to be over.  And it doesn't seem like we are making any headway against the wind.  We wonder if the Lord is listening."


 I feel like at this time in my life we are rowing against the wind.  Here we are, the end of April is approaching--Allan's severance package will end the end of July. I need to keep reminding myself, I worship a 4th watch God.

Yet in the midst of all of this, I do know that He is mindful of us. As we spent time in Utah, and I thought about the time Allan was able to spend there with his mom before I arrived, it was so obvious to me that if he had his job, it would have been next to impossible for him to spend that kind of time with her.   If he needs to go back again, he can.

I also need to remind myself to stop and look at the big picture. When we were in the temple last weekend, I turned to Allan and asked, "Why don't I know what we're supposed to do--what's going to happen?" Allan said, "It's not time." I'm grateful for a husband who always sees the big picture--who gives me strength when I need it.

Also, I appreciate so much all the talks that were given at General Conference. I don't think I have used so many talks in Seminary as I have recently. I must have quoted 6 talks in the last week. (Of course, most of those talks were given just for me ; )

I know that our struggles are tailor-made for us--each problem we experience prepares us for what lies ahead.  I need to seek to be fit for the task and always seek to know the will of the Lord. I am reminded of a story someone shared at a workshop/conference. If we each took our problems, put them into a bag and placed the bag in the middle of the room and then  could each go in and grab someone else's bag of problems, would we choose someone else's or our own?   I KNOW I WOULD PICK MINE!!!!

Sidenote #1: Today is my adorable grandson, Garrett's 2nd birthday. It's days like today that I really don't like living away from family. I would so love to be there to celebrate with him. I'm looking forward to our trip to Texas in about 5 weeks when Garrett's older brother, Chris, who had a birthday 2 days ago, will be getting married.
Sidenote #2:  I really hope you had a chance to look at the cartoon I posted on my last post--it was just too funny to miss.





22 comments:

Melissa said...

You may have posted these thoughts for yourself, but they have helped me so much tonight. Thank you Yvonne.

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

When you are right in the thick of it all... it is harder to keep an acurate perspective on things. We tend to react with emotions... afterall we are human and worry is a part of life.

Hang in there.

I so enjoyed your comments.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Tonya said...

I wish I had something really wise and profound to say but I don't. All I have to say is that I care for you and I know that the Lord is mindful of you and will provide.

I've lived away from family and I know it can be hard. They know how much you love them.

Ashley said...

Everything time something bad happens, something good comes out of it. I know I am blessed! Over and over and over.

Klin said...

This is along the same line of today's Sunday school lesson. I loved it. I thought the conference talks were for me. Amazing how that happens.

Sheri said...

Thanks for this post! I needed to read it! You are as always amazing!

Chel said...

I think I needed to read that. Thank you Yvonne.

Hugs!

txmommy said...

wonderful thoughts. I am stressing too, our house hasn't sold, my husband starts work in MD in 6 weeks and our new home is complete in july. We felt like this was right but it's not coming together easily. Yikes!

Meanwhile I am looking forward to your TX trip!

Suzanne said...

Yvonne, I'm sorry you're having to go through this difficult time. It seems like with trials we get pushed to the edge until we think we can't take it anymore. It's an uncomfortable helpless feeling and I'm so sorry you have to go through it. I hope you and Allan see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. You'll be in my prayers!

P.S. Garrett is such a cutie! You have a beautiful family.

Natalie said...

Life is so full of stress. It's really one stress after another. I know you have faith, but you just want it to end and get better. I'm sorry it's so hard right now. The Lord will bless you. It will get better.
Wish I was there to give you a big hug and to just talk to you.
I love you.

Garrett is adorable.

Nancy Face said...

That talk about us worshiping a "4th Watch God" was discussed at our Young Women camp a couple years ago. It was powerful.

(((HUGS)))

PJ said...

I really needed to read this post this morning. Thank you.

Happy Birthday to Garrett!

Valerie said...

I have to keep telling myself that if life were easy, we wouldn't enjoy it. It's going through hard times that makes the good times so GREAT!!
Hang in there!

Tori :) said...

I love it when you post thoughts like this. They always hit home. Thanks Yvonne!!

carolyne b said...

I love your anology of the paper bag. Sometimes we think our trials are so big, but given a choice I would rather have my trials then anothers'. I think that most of the time we are the author of our trials, and if we just think about it and hand it over to the Lord that trial is made so much easier for us. I also think our trials can help others esp when we come through it.
Allen is so right, not now. Think of all the other things you/he might not have able to do had he not had this time off. And then think of all the things you have learned. Tools to help someone else in the same situation you are finding yourself in.
You have had some great opportunities to see Allens mom and Brent,Heidi and other family. What a joy! Head up!

sweetpea said...

great post--thank you so much for sharing.

Romy said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing faith and testimony! I am always grateful for your example! Thanks also for the hug on Sunday! It was great to see you!

Liam's Mom said...

"I worship a 4th watch God."

Thank you for this, Yvonne! You are a wise and wonderful woman!

mindyluwho said...

It's those little silver linings that keep us going. For Allan to be able to spend time with his mom is priceless right now.

One of my favorite movie scenes is from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where he faces the chasm that seperates him from the cave where the Holy Grail is and he just has to close his eyes and take that step...sometimes it's hard when we don't see the path laid out before us, but it's there all the same and the Lord reveals it when we need it.

Keep on keeping on! You are such a faithful person, I can see it all throughout your blog.

Whitney said...

It sounds like it worked out for the better, so that Allan could be with his mom. There's always reason for everything.
What helps me get through hard things is remembering that He wouldn't give us a trial He didn't think we could handle. Which is comforting to know we have the power to do anything, really. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello
http://www.smeesh.com/ - meridia pills

Meridia is a neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitor which reduces the reuptake of norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine that subsequently improves the levels of these substances in synaptic clefts therefore enhancing the feeling of satiety.
[url=http://www.smeesh.com/]meridia medication[/url]
The changes in the patient’s heart rate and blood pressure levels must be considered when deciding on dose titration.
buy reductil
Meridia - Fight obesity todayOrder cheap Meridia (Reductil) drugs online and save hundreds! No prescription!
Also known by its generic name Sibutramine, Meridia is mainly intended as an appetite suppressant in the treatment of obesity.

Anonymous said...

Remicade Medication
generic acomplia
No prescription!
In the culture of the fast food restaurant it seems a good bit of people are having trouble loosing weight and keeping the pounds off.
[url=http://greenheartmedicaluniversity.com/]cheap generic acomplia[/url]
Later, FDA approved the drug as a medicine for weight management.
http://greenheartmedicaluniversity.com/ - acomplia online discount
No prescription!
In the culture of the fast food restaurant it seems a good bit of people are having trouble loosing weight and keeping the pounds off.