Thursday, April 2, 2009

World Autism Awareness Day


Today is World Autism Awareness Day. In fact, as was pointed out by amber last year, the month of April is Autism Awareness Month. The purpose is to make the public aware of autism.

As a mom of a child who was diagnosed with autism years ago, I would love to see so much more research and awareness in the communities. I remember so well when we had moved to Nevada and Brent was in a new elementary school. I had sent all the information ahead of time but when I visited with the teacher at the end of his first week of school, I realized that she hadn't read any of it. In their minds, autism meant he didn't know anything and wouldn't be able to do anything, subsequently that's how they treated him. I was FURIOUS. I am happy to report that throughout the years Brent was blessed with wonderful, caring teachers who shared our hope and desire that Brent would reach his full potential. He is an INCREDIBLE young man who will graduate from LDS Business College next week and will transfer to BYU in the fall.

There is such a need for more research and awareness. The number of children that are being diagnosed is increasing substantially.

If you would like to know more, please go here.




10 comments:

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

It is a shame that they treat kids that way... just because they learn differently. Very sad.

You should visit my friend Tammy's blog... she could probably benefit from your kind words of encouragement.
http://crazybinghams.blogspot.com/
Her little boy with Autism is Wyatt. He will be four this month.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

chellie said...

I have been in contact with numerous children with autism and here very similar stories from them. I hope that the awareness spreads and more research is done.

That is wonderful news about Brent. He will do great at BYU. I am so excited for him!

P.S. I'll be in Utah next week. ;)

Heffalump said...

I always like to hear hopeful things about kids with Autism growing up and leading a full life.
Sometimes it is a struggle and I wonder if my kids will have joy and reach their potential, or if they will continue to be held back by a system that doesn't believe in them.

Melissa said...

I love hearing about Brent. It gives me so much hope...

Amber said...

AT first I was like I did? Really? Obviously, a year makes a lot of difference.

The advances they have made are amazing. But even more amazing is the awareness. I think we still have a long way to go but all we need to do is look at Brent to know there is hope!

Corrine said...

hey i now remembe rthat it is autism awareness month...did i tell you i am working now in an autistic preschool and having a really good time. i taught special ed several years back and forgot how much i love these kiddos....most of the students are boys and after only a few weeks they have worked their way into my heart..and the teacher is really amazing with them!

cherry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie said...

Did I ever mention to you that when I was in Tx. I taught a special ed class (high school). We had several children with autism. I loved those kids. In fact, I loved all of them. We laughed so much everyday and had a great time with them. I miss those days. I will have to tell you about some our adventures when we get together some day.:)

txmommy said...

wow! Way to go Brent!!! How cool that he's done so well.

Nancy Face said...

I would have been furious with that teacher, too. :(

Brent is wonderful! :)