Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Funeral

I haven't had a chance to post or read at all. I had such a great time with each of my kids, grandkids and my little great grandson--couldn't take the time to get on the computer.

I wanted to write a little about Friday and Saturday for now and will write later about the first few days here and then our Sunday and our trip to Reno.

Friday: First thing in the morning, Bev, Gerry, and I headed over to the mortuary to see Mom. Macy’s dad did an amazing job. She looked so beautiful. Bev did her hair and we got her ready. As we stood there and looked at her, the three of us agreed that the older she got the more beautiful she looked. (We heard that comment a few more times the next day)

I had picked up Kyle at the airport on Thursday night and the first group to arrive on Friday was the group from Louisville. It was so fun to see them all—especially Xander.

















We stopped at Wendy’s for lunch. After we got everyone settled back at Bev’s and Nancy took Evan, Scarlett, and Xander to their hotel, Allan and I headed to Costco to pick up the Tri-tips for the luncheon and the croissants for the French toast for breakfast Saturday. Allan’s cousin Ron came to visit and they had such a great time visiting. He is such a great guy.















When everyone was ready for dinner we headed to Applebee’s for dinner. Here's Josh and his friend ; )



















Neal and his group got to Bev’s around 9:30 and there was finally a practice for the musical number. When everyone left, most everyone crashed. Stephen and Daphne and their family didn’t arrive until around 1:30 a.m. I had gotten up a little before 1:00 to wait for them so I could help them find their beds.

Saturday: Allan had to get up at 6:00 to start getting the roasts in the ovens. I decided to get up and do the desserts for Saturday evening—knowing there wouldn’t be any other time during the day to get them done.

Decided because we had such a large group for breakfast to go ahead and start feeding people around 9:30. The cooks were a tad dangerous ; )















Around noon headed over to the Church for the viewing. It was so wonderful to see so many members of the family. Mom was loved by so many people. We had a family prayer and then headed in the Chapel for the funeral. Kyle played the piano for the hymns. The opening hymn was “I Know That My Redeemer Lives”. Stephen gave the opening prayer. Gerry was the first one to speak and she did the eulogy and did a great job. There was a special musical number—Heidi, Macy, Neal, and Gerry’s SIL Lincoln sang “How Great Thou Art”. It was amazing. I know Heidi was so grateful to have Macy there because when Heidi first came up to the stand, she was really crying and looked at me and mouthed, “I can’t do it.” Macy put her arm around Heidi, which made me cry, and then they began. Oh, Mom would have been so pleased. Then Bev got up and spoke (I couldn’t have spoken after that number). She was so composed. She began by singing the Primary song, “I often go walking…” and she talked about how often she sang that song to her mom. She then talked about different things the grandchildren had mentioned to her about her mom. It was lovely. Then I had the privilege to speak. I decided to talk about all the things this wonderful woman taught her family. After I spoke, one of Gerry’s granddaughter’s played Clair de Lune (which was mom’s favorite song) It was so beautiful. Poor Allan spoke next—after hearing that song, it was very difficult for him. He spoke on the Plan of Salvation and did an amazing job. Mom so wanted everyone to know what she knew and had told Allan she wanted him to explain it--and I know he didn't let her down. The Bishop then spoke and did the cutest thing. He said a few years ago they had a ward activity and had people fill out questionnaires. He got Moms out and read some of the questions. They were things like, Who is your favorite person? What are your favorite things to do? Who was your first crush? What is your favorite vacation spot? What is your favorite TV show? (which was hysterical because you could see all the kids mouthing “Murder She Wrote”. We loved it. The closing hymn was “Abide With Me Tis Eventide” which I had a tough time getting through. Bev’s son, Joe, gave the closing prayer. Then the pallbearers--which were her grandsons-- took out the casket.

We then had a luncheon, which was delicious, and it was so wonderful to have time to visit with family and take lots of pictures. I loved this picture of some of the boys.






We put up all the tables and chairs and headed back to Bev’s. Everyone changed clothes and we had a fun activity. Allan’s mom had a lot of little things, vases, crystal pieces, etc., and they were in bags and we had everyone draw a number. Then the person who had #1 to #38 selected which bag they wanted and put it in front of them. After everyone had their bag, all together they opened their bag and each ended up with a little something of Grandma’s.
















Neal had come up with some questions for a little trivia game about mom. Allan asked the questions and Wendy had the most correct and she got “the prize”. A few years ago Gerry found a Lenox piece that had dolphins on what she though was a glass base. (It looked lovely in the magazine—but when we gave it to mom, we all were laughing and she was very gracious.) Anyway, Wendy got “the prize”. We had a good laugh.

Later that evening most of us had snacks and visited. It was such a fun evening.

I will write about Mother's Day later--do you know this is the first time IN YEARS that I was with all of my children and grandchildren for Mother's Day--it was a real treat.

28 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I've missed you! Okay, I'll go read your lovely post now. :)

txmommy said...

you're back!
sounds like a nice funeral and how wonderful that you got to spend mother's day with all the kids!!

Nancy Face said...

How very wonderful that everyone was there! What a beautiful service it must have been, and such a great tribute to your sweet mother-in-law! I love the idea about placing her crystal pieces and vases in bags as special gifts for everyone. What a treasure! :)

Tori :) said...

I'm glad you're back and that the funeral went well. The pics are great pictures. Thanks for sharing everything with us.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Tori :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JustRandi said...

Sounds like everything went so well! I'm always amazed at how graciously you operate with lots of things going on and so many people around you.
I have these little mental breakdowns after about 2 days.

carolyne b said...

Yvonne,
What a beautiful celebration of your MIL's life. Glad to hear you back home and that you had a great visit with all the kids.

Millie said...

Thanks for posting about this. What a lovely family your mil has.

Don't you love our funerals? (You know what I mean)

ShEiLa said...

Yvonne,
I was missing you big time...
I am so glad that you are back.
Thanks for your comments. I was relieved to see them.

Sounds like you had a beautiful 'celebration event'. We should change the name... funeral just does nothing for me.

I look forward to hearing about your Mother's Day. With everybody present and accounted for I am sure it was fantastic. That is my kind of Mother's Day.

ToOdLeS.

Thorny Tree Lady said...

That's a neat way to give everyone something from grandma! How wonderful for your family to be able to share this time together.

Klin said...

I absolutely LOVE the part about the crystal and vases and the trivia. What an amazing way to honor Allan's mom.

I'm guessing that your Mother's day was pretty awesome if you had everyone there. What more can a mom ask for?

Happy Mother's Day.
Glad you had a safe trip.

Heffalump said...

I've been missing you too!
It sounds like the funeral was lovely and I'm so glad you got to be with your whole family for Mother's Day!

PJ said...

Such a good service, and time to be together with family.

Love all the photo's

sweetpea said...

I'm so glad the service and everything went well. I can't wait to hear about your wonderful Mother's Day!

Natalie said...

I'm so glad that you're back. I have really missed you.
The funeral sounds so nice. What a great tribute to your MIL.
You have such a good looking family and look at you, kneeling in front with the kids. You look beautiful.
I'm so glad everything went well.
Hugs.

Sheri said...

Thanks for sharing! i love that it was all about celebrating her life and what mattered most to her. THe gospel and family! I am sure you hada fabulous Mother's Day, if not a little bitter sweet by having Allans mom gone.
glad you are back!!

mindyluwho said...

I love how you all played the game and each got a little something of hers, what a lovely way to remember her. And how wonderful that everyone was able to be there.

Just be sure to give yourself a little time to recoup afterward. After my mother died I was so tired for a couple of weeks. I thought I was coming down with something, but realized after awhile that it was just all the emotional trauma that my body had gone through.

Valerie said...

Mormon funerals are always so full of hope. And it's amazing how the music can bring such a sweet spirit to the meeting. I'm glad all went well.

Holly said...

I'm so glad it went well.

Tonya said...

The funeral sounds like it was lovely. I know it wasn't the best circumstances but I'm happy you got to see all your kids and grandkids.

What a sweet family you have. No surprise considering who their mom/grandma/wife is.

Annie said...

Glad you're back too! I think it's unanimous! :)

Looks like a perfect service, honoring your mother in law.

aurora said...

What a lovely service. I am glad that you got to spend Mother's Day with all of your kids!! A bright spot on a sad occasion.

Corrine said...

glad to see you back, and that game of the little things from Mom is such a great idea. What a special thing to have everyone be able to take a little something from here.

Sounds like a wonderful family get together and a wonderfully spiritual farewell.

Jodi said...

What a beautiful tribute to what sounds like an amazing lady. I am glad it went so well for you!

Amber said...

I have so glad the funeral went smoothly and it was a lovely service. That is one of the great things about funerals--bringing everyone together. Especially when the death is of a person who is older, it is more celebration than mourning. How beautiful your family is together!

Suzanne said...

I hope you've been holding up o.k., Yvonne! It sounds like the funeral went smoothly and you all had a chance to reminisce about your MIL!

Melissa said...

It sounds like the funeral was nice. I admit... it brought tears to my eyes. I hope you are doing well. Hugs!

Chel said...

Oh Yvonne, it all sounds and looks amazing. You do such a wonderful job of recapping - your family is so blessed to have your blog! It is going to be cherished FOREVER!
I love the pictures! So fun to put names with faces. You truly have an amazing family.