Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Rest of the Trip


I know this is going to be out of order, but I just wanted to write about a couple of the other things we did while we were in Utah.
I wrote on Facebook that we hiked the Y. That is the first time I have ever done it and it was great.









Allan enjoyed the view--Allan, Brent, and I hiked to the bottom of the Y.



















I think Brent was a little worried when I was taking this picture. I kept slipping on the gravel.















Heidi went to the top ; )


















I was very happy that I managed to get this picture of the Provo temple from the Y. I thought my camera did a pretty good job of zooming in.


















When I saw this "Y" at the bottom I couldn't resist ; )
























As I mentioned in my previous post, the majority of the family left on Sunday, but the Indiana group left on Monday. After they left, Allan, Neal, Bev, and I loaded up the vans and went to Nevada for my mother-in-law's burial. Bev and I had my MIL's casket in the van with us. Allan and Neal were in the other van and we communicated via walkie-talkies. Allan and I are used to just getting in the car and making very few stops, so this was a different trip for us. We stopped at the Salt flats where I captured this picture of the gang.

















Going to Nevada and heading back to Utah we stopped in Elko for lunch at The Star--a great basque restaurant.




















Had a lovely dinner with Wendy and Tony when we got to Reno. This was the first time we've had a chance to see their new house and I must be falling down on the job--I didn't take one picture ; (((((









The burial was Tuesday morning. It was a little windy up on the hill, but all went well.



















I love this picture because it looks like Drew is really listening to something Grandpa is telling him.
























A great 3-generation picture.












I love this picture of Allan and some of his kids.

















Tuesday night Allan, Neal and I met up with Wendy and Tony and had dinner at In-N-Out and I finally got to check out the scripture at the bottom up the cup that people had talked about ; )





















It's good to be back home--heading out to Texas on Thursday for Chris and Heather's wedding. It will be fun to see some of the family again--always a treat. (Not sure how I should have typed that--it sounds like I'm excited about seeing "some of them" that will be there ; )












Sidenote #1: Managed to hit a few movies while in Utah. Went with Brent to see Wolverine--which was better than I expected. I loved StarTrek. Of course, Star Trek holds a special place in my heart--first date with Allan was to see Star Trek II. Friday, Allan, Bev, and I went to see Angels and Demons--I LOVED IT.

Sidenote #2: Seminary has sure felt early this week. Kyle is very excited that next week is his final week of Seminary--don't tell him, but SO AM I ; )

Sidenote #3: Someone commented recently that I had mellowed--how wrong that person is--I have not mellowed at all. I have decided that it's just better to keep my mouth closed--doesn't necessarily make me happier, but I guess it's eaiser on others that way ; )








18 comments:

carrie said...

Awesome pictures! I love you on the Y and the three generation picture.

txmommy said...

my dad is Basque (well sometimes he says he's French, just depends)! how fun that you got to eat Basque food on your trip.

Brent said...

Hiking up the Y was a lot of fun. I really loved the view from the top.

Lauren said...

I would love to hike the Y. It would be ever more fun to hike it with you!

Loved all of the pictures :)

JustRandi said...

So fun! I've never been to a Basque restaurant. come to think of it, I don't think I've even heard of a Basque restaurant.
I hope it was yummy~

Valerie said...

Great pictures!!
I loved the one of Allan on the Y with the city behind him.
Have fun in Texas.

(What other trips are in store for the summer?)

ShEiLa said...

When hiking to the [Y]. [Y] not take your photo with a [Y]. Ü
cute just with your head and feet poking out.

Guess the hike was before foot surgery for Heidi.

fyi: that person never e.mailed me that left the comment several posts ago.

So where exactly in Nevada was your MIL laid to rest? Glad you got to eat at The Star... one of these days if we get there I will too.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

I always love hearing about your travels!

Natalie said...

I love Basque food. It's great.
I didn't know that you could transport someone in a casket. Did you have to have special permission to do it? That is a good thing to know.
Have fun in Tx.

Suzanne said...

I love seeing the generation pictures! It looks like you were able to spend so much time with many different family members. Good luck with your last week of Seminary!

Natalie said...

I forgot to say how awesome it is that you climbed to the Y. WOW! that is great. Maybe one day I will dare to try it.

Klin said...

I have lived in Utah all my life and have never hiked to the Y. My kids do and they want to take me, so we will see if my health will allow it this summer.

Have fun in Texas.

You took some great pictures.

Theresa said...

Yey for Star Trek! It was awesome.. I'm so happy you like ST! :) As for Angels & Demons, the book was soso, esp with some physics background, but perhaps I should go see the movie after all? :)

Tori :) said...

I lived in Utah 7 years and never hiked the Y. You know why? Because I'm scared of mountain lions. lol I'm a dork!!!
Sei and I were sealed in the Provo temple.
You take the best pics!!

I was so happy to see you yesterday and I am sorry for being a slacker commenter!!! ♥

Millie said...

Very cool that you hiked to the Y! The pictures are great!

Jess said...

Love the pics. It looks like you guys had a great time hiking and being together!!!

Shauna said...

Hope you have a super weekend!
♥ HUGS ♥

Chel said...

Great pictures in Utah! I've hiked the Y! Good times! :)