Monday, June 15, 2009

In Honor Of...Part I



In honor of my last graduating child, I thought between now and his convocation WHICH IS TWO WEEKS FROM TOMORROW-- JUNE 30TH, I would do some posts about him. Hey, he's the last one I have to brag about--not that I can't (AND DO) still brag about the rest of them. When I was out walking (AKA TRAINING FOR TREK), I got a little nostalgic thinking about the years we have lived here and the fact that when we moved here Kyle was 4 and was in pre-school. Many of the friends he hangs out with have been friends since elementary school. When I got home from my walk, there were 5 boys in the back yard juggling between jumping on the trampoline and playing croquet. (Allan was commenting on how he worries sometimes when he looks out and sees how high these boys jump--and one has a dislocated shoulder and another one has a cast on his arm.)

So I figured I would do a different post about his 18 years--today is all about school. Most of our kids have loved school and it has been a great experience for them. We have always had a tradition of pictures taken at the stairs the first and the last day of school.

One of the first things I did when we moved here, was enroll Kyle in a pre-school. He loved it.












Just a few months later was pre-school graduation.




















He was so ready for kindergarten. I loved going into the classroom and watching him. He went for just a half day.











Here he is the last day of kindergarten--he was so ready to go to school all day..

















Here's a picture of the three of them the first day of Kindergarten for Kyle--now I don't think it was the first day for Heidi and Brent--I think they started before Kyle.










At the end of Grade 1, his class went on a field trip to Fort Whyte Center. One of my favorite things was to be able to go on these field trips with the kids. So fun.


















Not the first day of grade 2 but crazy hair day--couldn't resist.











Another field trip, but this one I didn't go on--please don't think there is something wrong with the kids in his class--I just don't like posting pictures of kids when I haven't gotten their parent's permission.




















First day of grade 3.



















He had one of his best years in grade 3--I spent a lot of time in the classroom and it was so fun. He made great strides that year.















First day of grade 4

















This was going to be the last picture of this group taken together on the last day of school. This was taken the day of Heidi's convocation.






















Grade 5 was a little different, Heidi had gone to BYU and it was just the boys--Brent and Kyle at home.
















Kyle was very happy to be a crossing guard--such a responsibility. And the cold whether didn't stop him ; )





















Grade 6 started off on a sad note--he had gone to the same school for K - grade 5 and then his school went completely French Immersion. (Yes, Kyle took French but was not in French Immersion--which is exactly what you think--TOTAL FRENCH.) Unfortunately, that meant he had to change schools--it was fought by many of the parents and we lost. So off to a new school. Turned out to be a great year. Mr. M was a great teacher.














Curling during 6th grade.
























This is his 7th grade school picture. Oh, middle school--frankly, I think that is the toughest age to deal with.














During lunch recess of 7th grade, Kyle was playing soccer when someone went after the ball and slid right into him and this is the result--CAN WE ALL SAY OUCH!!!! I hope you can all tell how his foot is turned to the right and his leg is straight--it was pretty bad. The doctor was pretty concerned and then was shocked when he came out of the operating room and told us he didn't have to do anything but set the fracture--no screws were involved. Kyle knows he was truly blessed.



























First day--Grade 8--nice to no longer have to deal with a cast--although it felt like he had it on FOREVER ; )












Last day of Grade 8--not sure where the shots are of the awards assembly. Kyle left right away for BYU Basketball camp.





















First day of his last year of Middle School. We laugh today as we drive down the street and see the Middle School kids and I remind Kyle of those days when the kids thought they were SO COOL Of course, Grade 9 also meant the start of Seminary--so early mornings for both of us ; )











Not easy to get those shots at graduation.




















Grade 10 meant a new school--HIGH SCHOOL!!!! This would also be the year for Driver's Training.











The best part of the end of Grade 10 was that the braces came off which meant HE COULD FINALLY SMILE AGAIN!!!!!














I can't believe I didn't take a picture of him the first day of Grade 11--(Hiding head in shame) However, he did get his driver's license right when Grade 11 began, so this picture was taken just a few days before the first day of school.

















At the awards assembly last year. He was happy to see his name on the list of scholar athletes.




















First day of his last year of high school.















His casual grad photo--I love it.




















I have to tell you this was a fun post. When I did my post for Stephen's birthday, amber asked if I had all the pictures scanned--no Amber I didn't. Many of these are digital, but about 1/2 of his school experience was done on film. So, all of you who are raising kids with digital cameras--I HOPE YOU KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE ; )

Not sure what I'll tackle next--maybe sports--that will require going through a whole lot of pictures--he did soccer, basketball, volleyball, and track. He also did badminton and beach volleyball, but I wasn't there for those events. I wish I had a picture of him during intramurals--the long socks, the headband--too fun.

16 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ooh, first!?!

It was so fun getting to see the pictures of Kyle while growing up. I'm sure it feels like the time went quickly!

txmommy said...

How fun to see the pictures of him growing up. What a great son!

Connie said...

You should be proud of your handsome, talented, son! Such fun pictures!
I agree with you. Digital is the best!

Sheri said...

Wow! I don't know if I could remember all of that for any of my kids! fun post to read! He is lucky to have you for a mom!!

Neal said...

Awesome post...I will always think of him around Grade 4 and 5. He was so fun...

ShEiLa said...

Isn't it fun to look back? Yes.
Thinking about the good ole days... I do that alot as an empty nester.

My hubby will love the curling photo... he misses curling something terrible as he grew up in Canada.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

Middle school years are the hardest? Oh no! My oldest is going to be in 7th grade in the fall.
Love the pics!

Natalie said...

I loved looking at the picture of Kyle growing up. What a handsome boy. Even more important, he seems like such great young man.

Congratulations to him and to you too.

Nancy Face said...

What a fun collection of pictures! It was so nice seeing him grow up right before my eyes! :)

Tori :) said...

Awww... I LOVED this post!! So fun!!
I totally LOL when you said "please don't think there is something wrong with the kids in his class..."
You're so cute!

Jodi said...

Yea!!! I love it that you did a long post on your son! I feel like I am the only one that ever does!!! He is so handsome!!!! I am still teary eyed about your posts on "lasts".....oh man! I hate that! I don't want those things to ever end!!!

I am having a fabulous GIVE AWAY on my blog right now!!!! It's a spa package from Bath and Body Works valued at over $60!!!!!!!!!!!
Will you do a little sidenote announcing it to your readers so they can enter!!! THANKS so much Yvonne! ANd thanks so much for the vote!!! I am doing the contest so I get more~~~~ I have to win this!!! If not I will cry and then die!!! Wah!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Amber said...

He really is so handsome--you should be proud! And you have inspired me to keep good track of the first day of school for my children. How fun that was to see his evolution over the years!

sweetpea said...

Wow--I loved this post! It's so fun to see a life through pictures. He's such a handsome and talented boys--and a great mama he has!

chellie said...

Kyle is so cute! I wish I had a younger sister for him! haha!
Love the pictures! can't wait for more fun Kyle pictures and posts!

annie said...

They just grow up too fast huh?

Valerie said...

So much fun to see him grow through the years!