Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Memories

Like many of you I love reading NieNie. She always makes me think but her last post really has me remembering.

Maybe it is because I know pretty soon the house will be empty, but I'm so grateful for memories. Fortunately for me many memories have been captured in photographs. It's funny Allan and I will talk about experiences and he will look at me and say, "How in the world do you remember that?" Usually, but not always, it's because I have a photo. While in Utah I was talking with Allan and Neal about an experience with Heidi and Chris at a Burger King. When I told Neal I remembered exactly when it was (and it has been over 22 years), he asked how I remembered--I told him no photo involved, just burned in my brain ; )

I remember so vividly when each of my 4 children were placed into my arms. It's been 39 years since the doctor put Stephen in my arms, and I remember it like it was yesterday. The doctor looked at me and said, "So, mom, what are you going to do now!" When Heidi was born almost 25 years ago, the doctor held her up and said, "Look Mom, no more nausea." Richard was a little concerned when Brent was born. But having Richard deliver Brent was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had, until Allan asked if he could stitch me up. Fortunately, Richard said, "No." After such a hard pregnancy with Kyle, I know Dr. P and I were very grateful when he was safely here. We had a tough time coming up with a name--after all we only had 9 months to think about it. It still seems impossible that 18 years have really passed since Kyle was born. (In fact, I got a note on FB from a friend who hasn't seen Kyle for years and said, "How is it possible that Kyle is going to BYU in the fall--he's still in diapers isn't he???"

As well, I remember when the 3 I didn't give birth to were placed into my heart. I had the privilege of being in the same Ward with them and watching them grow up. I watched Neal with wonder and amazement--as he would speak in Church and bless and pass the sacrament. I had the privilege of working with Nancy in Young Women. I taught Wendy in Sunday School and was there when she was baptized. It was so great to have the three of them and Stephen in the temple when Allan and I were sealed.

It has been an interesting journey thus far. I love that I have had the privilege of watching all of these children grow up. So often I think about my mom and how much she missed--I know I've talked about this before, but it just helps me to remember how blessed I am that I have seen children graduate from high school, college, marry, have children, have grandchildren and even a great grandchild, most of which my mom didn't see. (Yes, she did see 2 of her 6 children graduate from high school, but that is all.) But she didn't see moments like this:

Be at the hospital to hold a brand new grandson




















Celebrating the graduation of her oldest grandson surrounded by some of her children and grandchildren






















Attend the blessing of a new grandson and again be surrounded by family.






















Be there to see her youngest graduate from high school. (My youngest sister was 8 when my dad died, and 9 when my mom died. She did see me get to junior high school) I was also blessed a few weeks after Kyle's graduation to see him receive the MP--no, my mom was not a member of The Church, but I know her heart would have been as filled with joy as mine was at that moment)
























I do agree with "Barbara"--"Memories, may be beautiful and yet, What's too painful to remember, We simply choose to forget. So it's the laughter, we remember..." Unfortunately, I do have some of those painful memories, but they don't have the sting they did those many years ago. I try to remember only enough to help me from making the same mistakes again ; )

I look forward to making memories of the events that lie ahead--baptisms, graduations, missions, weddings, births, etc. With Allan by my side, it will continue to be a journey filled with wonderful memories.


Sidenote: Since the number of comments on my last post are so low, I feel it's only fair to my friend Connie, who is having a giveaway on her blog to remind you again to go and visit her blog to participate in her giveaway.



13 comments:

Neal said...

What a nice post - perfectly poignant. More of these, please ; )

Heffalump said...

Memories are a wonderful treasure. I'd have to say that photos are one of my most prized things. If there was a fire in my home, the photos would be the only thing that it would break my heart to lose after my family was safe.
My step-grandma has memory problems now as she is getting older. Mostly short term, but sometimes she won't recognize family members when they come to see her. I hope that you are able to keep those memories close.

Klin said...

Yvonne- As I read this post I can't help but feel that your mom has experienced these things through you. Maybe it's because I am a mom and I cannot fathom not finding someway to be with my children, even in spirit form. I am sure that you share that same love.

This post made me cry tears of gratitude for all that I have and will get to experience with my children. Thank you. Sincerely.

JustRandi said...

I love this post. And I love that you have such a great memory!
I do have times where my heart takes a picture and I remember it vividly. But mostly it's all a blur.

I love hearing your memories, and I refuse to believe that your mom wasn't right there with you, bursting with pride.

Connie said...

I agree with your other blogger friends that your mom experienced these things through you. We're all connected...for eternity!
What wonderful memories you shared with us.
I'm sure we all have memories that we hope will fade over time but that's OK. The good ones far outweigh the bad.

Have a super day! (Thanks for telling all about my giveaway, I've had some visitors from you and they're delightful!)

Corrine said...

what a beautiful post and makes me sit back take a breath and really enjoy these sweet little ones that will be going off to college and such. sure hope I have the wonderful opportunity to experience it all with them.

chellie said...

Wow, Yvonne, your blog is always so amazing and uplifting and... sheesh, just perfect! ;-) I have missed visiting blogs, particularly yours, this summer! I just spent an hour reading all of the posts I've missed. :)

Natalie said...

Wow! I love your posts and your memories. This one brought tears to my eyes and made me relive some of my own memories.
We are so fortunate to know that families are forever.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful post, Yvonne! I love to reminisce about the important things in my life too! I'm so glad you've been able to experience so many wonderful things. And LOL that Allan wanted to stitch you up. He wasn't serious, was he??? ;)

Amber said...

It's funny, I've been thinking a lot about memories, to. I am so so grateful I have led a full life up until the point. I was actually thinking to the future when I'll be an old lady unable to play to my heart's content and how I will just love to sit back and think of the wonderful memories I have. What a blessing!

annie said...

With amanda leaving home soon I am wallowing (sp?) in sentiment :)... lovely post Yvonne.

sweetpea said...

I really loved reading this post--you have such a beautiful family, and the memories you have are wonderful.

Nancy Face said...

What a lovely post! Memories surrounding our families are so sweet! :)