Saturday, August 15, 2009

27 Years Ago


I am posting this today, even though it actually happened on August 17, 1982. (I'm just hoping to have something else that will be exciting to post on or about August 17th ; ) No need to worry, it doesn't involve a pregnancy test.

This is what I wrote in my journal.

"I can't believe it has happened--after all these years of waiting I am getting married--October 23rd. I am so happy. I always knew it would be exciting and I would be happy but this is a different kind of happiness...there has been such a peace."

For years, more than anything I wanted to be married--I wanted Stephen to have a dad.

In 1978, I was involved in a relationship with a young man who, after dating for awhile. I knew would not take me to the temple. One of my sisters, who does not have the same belief system as me, expressed concern that perhaps this would be my only opportunity. I knew that a continued relationship with this young man would mean I would have to jeopardize my standards. This is what I wrote in my journal the beginning of 1979:

"I know what I want--I want a temple marriage. I want a marriage where my husband honors his priesthood, where he is there to direct and lead our family...I guess what has been bothering me is the fact that if things had gone like they were going in the beginning I would be married in a couple of months, but Heavenly Father knows what is best. I'm grateful for that knowledge, but more than anything, I'm grateful for the "moments" I have had when things have been so clear."

And then in June 1982 I wrote--"...if things work out, if I've waited all these years for Allan--it's been worth it."

So many fun memories, and yes challenges here and there, but LIFE IS GREAT AND IT HAS BEEN SO WORTH IT ALL The photo at the top was taken in September at one of my bridal showers. (It is an old Polaroid snapshot and I'm surprised I was able to scan it (and very glad I did) Honestly, I think a lot of the people in my ward were more excited than I that I was getting married.

I had a note from Allan written on October 19, 1983--almost 2 weeks after Heidi was born. In it he said: "Our anniversary is this Sunday and it seems like only yesterday we were in Hawaii or even at the Hyatt in San Francisco. We started with great dreams and have had some bumps in the road, which by the way will always be there...We have learned that prayer at days end gives us both the peace of mind needed to conquer the days, weeks, months, and years ahead. Stressed feelings are a tool used to weaken the cement and we are learning how to overcome them nearer the point of inception."

Can I just add (in case you haven't figured it out I SURE DO LOVE HIM.


Sidenote #1: Even with the rain this morning, I decided to run. This meant I had to put on a hat. I don't have hair that looks cute with a hat, but I did it anyway. It felt good.


Sidenote #2: Also, tomorrow is my sweet granddaughter-in-law, Heather's, birthday. She is an amazing young woman. When we were in Utah for Amanda's wedding and Bev and I were doing things for the barbeque, I will never forget how Heather was right there helping with everything. I have sweet memories of her trying to help my MIL sit down at Christmas time last year. She is one of these people you never have to ask to help--she is right there asking "what can I do?" I hope she has a fantastic day.






21 comments:

Neal said...

Awesome...great post, Mom!

Carrot Jello said...

You are very lucky :)

ShEiLa said...

I think you are very blessed that so much of what you desired is exactly the way you wanted it. It doesn't always go so smoothly... even when you marry a return missionary and get married in the temple... things happen people change... consider yourself blessed.

ToOdLeS.

Yvonne said...

I hope everyone knows I do consider myself VERY BLESSED. No one but me knows the tears that were shed by me and Stephen over him not having a dad. I remember the day he looked at me and told me I must be very ugly because NO ONE WANTED TO MARRY ME.

When I decided to raise him by myself it was a tough decision, but it was the right one for me, and I felt the right one for him, too.

When I joined the Church, I had very good friends who were wonderful examples. I held out for what I wanted and fortunately it has worked out great.

Klin said...

I love this post. There are certainly bumps along the way. Fortunately, with two committed partners the Lord has provided a way for us to get over those bumps together.

Happy Anniversary to both you and Alan. I'm excited for you both and I can't wait to hear what your news is.

Sheri said...

How great that you have those journal entries and notes.. I think Allan is just as blessed to have you ! what a wonderful example you both are!! Many more happy years to you both!!

txmommy said...

great post! it's always worth it to wait for the Lord's timing. I am glad you have Allan, you two are awesome!

ShEiLa said...

Yvonne,
I need to apologize...
I didn't mean to sound glib or trite in my earlier comment.
Everyone in this life experiences hardships and trials... and I in no way intended to minimize yours by maximizing mine. I am sorry.
I too like Sherri feel that Alan is equally blessed by having you in his life and forever.
ToOdLeS.

Tori said...

Aww Yvonne- this one made me tear up.

Natalie said...

Wow. You sure do know how to write a post. I am so glad that you were smart enough and had enough courage to wait for a temple marriage. I am certain that both you and Allan are the lucky ones. Also your children are so blesed to have you two as parents.
I loved Allan's words. They are great.
How true it is that we all have problems along the way, but having the Lord in our lives sure gives us a good perspective.
I have a daughter born on Aug 17th.
Have a great week.

Heidi said...

Mom---you are AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing those thoughts from your journal---I sure am soooooooooooo blessed and happy that you and daddy met and are amazing parents and have filled my life with such joy!!!! Thank you!!! I bet you were excited and the Lord sure loves you and has always been looking out for you!!!! I love you tons!!!

JustRandi said...

oh, I love this!!

I also love that you ran in the rain.
Great job with that.

Connie said...

I'm impressed that you have your journal entries to go back to! What a blessing it is to us and our family when we write our feelings and experiences in a journal.
Happy 27th Anniversary!

Amanda said...

Grandma, thank you so much for writing this post! I love to hear about your life. I wish I would have taken the time to write in my journal the day before I got married, that's so great that you did! Love you!

Valerie said...

I smiled all the way through this post. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story!

carolyne b said...

i to when looking for a companion wanted someone who took his priesthood role seriously. Sadly things did not work out and after 6 1/2 yrs of marriage I left. i did meet a wonderful man the following year and although he isn't a member he supports and sustains me in my calling and desire when I wanted to be rebabtized. For me what more could you ask for.

Melissa said...

I love the story of how you and Allen met and fell in love. Such a great blessing for both of you :)

aubrey said...

oh my goodness. how sweet, yvonne! happy anniversary {belated}!

Heffalump said...

I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband! I think that you are both blessed to have each other (because I know you are wonderful too)!
Sorry I missed a few comments, I have been out of town!

Suzanne said...

Great post, Yvonne! I'm so glad that you didn't compromise your standards and that you and Allan found each other! :)

Nancy Face said...

This post is so wonderful and happy!

My sister-in-law once dated a young man who was not a member of the church. She was in her late 20's and thought he was very likely her only chance at marriage. I'm so grateful she stuck with her goal of a temple marriage, because at age 30 she married my baby brother. He was 6 years younger than her, and he had just needed to grow up a bit so they could meet! ;)