Friday, August 7, 2009

Lessons

I've been thinking about some of the lessons I've learned lately:

1) Life is much too short. One of the sweetest women in our Ward passed away yesterday. And then last night, a very kind man who was in the Bishopric when we first came to Winnipeg, passed away. I'm so grateful for the Plan of Salvation. My hope and prayer is that this knowledge will be a comfort to their spouses, children, and grandchildren.

I know it has been 4 months since my MIL passed away, and it's still hard for me to believe it--especially whenever we go to Utah and I realize she is not there. This was taken 2 1/2 weeks before she died.Allan will celebrate his birthday in a few weeks without his mom--that will seem strange.

2) I really do love being a mother. The other day I got a note from one of my boys that read--" I love and appreciate all you have worked so hard to teach us.....it's not that you hammered away with lectures and doctrine, but rather with a consistent, faithful, unwavering example. I hope that in time, I can teach my children even half of the things you have shown me." I don't share that to brag, only to say moments like those make it all worthwhile.
I am blessed to have wonderful children and grandchildren and have the cutest little great grandson. I'm so grateful that I get to hear from most of them quite often. And just in case you doubted that I have the cutest grandkids--look at this little guy.


I was looking at some old pictures and came across this one which I love of Daph and B. I never noticed the other arm--that is Kiah asleep on the other side of her mom. Daph is a wonderful daughter in law. She absolutely amazes me. I truly am blessed to have her for a daughter in law. Sure wished they lived closer.


3) My children are growing up much too fast. You're probably tired of hearing me say that, but those of you who are still wiping fingerprints off of cupboard doors and hear people say "enjoy" because before you know it those fingerprints will be gone--LISTEN. These two boys grew up together. When I was a single mom, I needed to find a new babysitter. That's when I met Janice who had a little boy who was 7 months old (Danny)--a year younger than Stephen. Here they are today. By the way, Janice is the person who introduced me to the Church.

4) As much as I want people to like me--not everyone does. Allan tells me over and over again that I try too hard. I always assume they don't like me because of something I did or didn't do. I just have to accept (as I mentioned in my last post) that we are all different.

5) Preparing talks certainly does strengthen me. I haven't given a talk since Brent left on his mission--goodness, has it really been that long. (Well, that doesn't count Stake Conference talks ; ) I am speaking in Church this Sunday. As always, it involves a lot of research and a lot of prayer, and I will learn far more than anyone who hears it.

6) I have a post drafted entitled "Happy Days Are Here Again"--trying to stay positive until I can hit the publish button is tough. I know God is mindful of us and have felt His hand in our life throughout this past year. I appreciate so much the prayers of friends and family.

Sidenote #1: As much planning as went into Kyle's trip, one thing was overlooked. He is 18 and in the U.S. if you are 18 you have a very hard time renting a hotel room. He called Wednesday when he was at the half-way point of his trip--no one would rent him and his buddy a room. After several phone calls and a lot of work on the computer, we finally got them a room and got things straightened out at his final destination--it would have been a shock when he and Chris arrived and would have been told they couldn't stay--even though the room was already reserved and paid for.

Sidenote #2: My running class last night was great. We talked about "Biomecahnics". There was a lot of discussion about proper posture--one of my biggest problems. In fact, I was kind of nursing a sore back from poor posture while running the other day.



17 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Right off the bat I need to say... I like you. But I totally know what you were talking about and my husband has to remind me of that often as well.

I also agree that life is short. So sorry to hear that you lost two very dear people yesterday.

I love the 'arm' photo.

I will wait until you are ready to post 'Happy Days Are Here Again'.

ToOdLeS.

Melissa said...

That's a pretty great list of lessons. My kids are all still little, but I look at them and wonder where the time has gone. I know I'm going to turn around and they'll be out the door.

I have the same problem with wondering about people liking me or not. I wonder how things would change if I just assumed that everyone DID like me...

I hope you are having a wonderful day today! You are such an amazing person :)

Yvonne said...

sheila: Thanks I like you, too. We're lucky to have such great husbands, aren't we ; )

Believe me I'm really looking forward to publishing that post.

melissa: They will grow so fast.

I love what you said about assuming everyone liked me--that is what I need to do and then not think things are a measurement that they don't. I'm going to try that.

You are so sweet--we're heading to the Temple so it's going to be a great day.

Natalie said...

I like you, lots!

Your g.grandson is adorable. My very fist g.granddaughter will be born in 2 weeks.

Can't wait for the Happy Days post

Sure do relate to the "kids are gone now" feelings. I love being a mom.

When one of my girls got married, we unexpectedly had to go to the hotel to co-sign for them after they left the reception.

Still in awe that you are a running woman.:)

Great to spend a day at the temple.

Heffalump said...

Well, I just think that anyone that doesn't like you is missing out! I think you are great!
I am noticing as my kids get older, just how much faster the time seems to be flying by. It doesn't help when my son says things like "In six more years I will be getting ready for my mission." Six years isn't very long!

Suzanne said...

Yvonne, I hope your happy days will be here soon!

I'm totally the same as #4 on your list. I try to hard sometimes and I just need to sit back and realize that some things just aren't meant to be.

How wonderful that you were able to get that shot with your MIL before she passed away! :)

Connie said...

It's fun to learn new lessons or be reminded of the old ones.
You always make me think and realize how good life is, though it may be short.

Thanks for the post.

Tiff's Tickles said...

What a sweet letter from your son. I am cherishing the one my oldest gave me for Mother's Day. All it reads is: I love you mom, and his name. But that means a lot. And as for the finger prints on cupboards, Yes, I wipe them off, but I know in my heart I am going to miss them like crazy when they are no longer there. I dread the day.:)
And, life is short. Too short sometimes.

Klin said...

#2- Notes like that are a mother's pay day. No money could ever match them.

I agree with Heaffalump. Those choosing to not know you are the ones losing out. You are a gift to us that do know you.

Kids grow too fast. I love each stage. I am not in the little kid stage and with my recent foster child arriving I've realized that each stage is so much fun. I really do like the teen years the best. They are fun and they can feed themselves ;)

Yvonne said...

natalie: Thank you so much. I like you, too.

I asked txmommy when her granddaughter would be born--wow I didn't realize it will be in just 2 weeks.
How exciting for all of you.

I'm looking forward to posting the happy days post.

Allan laughed when I read about you having to go and co-sign for your daughter after her reception. Too funny.

I'm enjoying the running.

heffalump; Thank you. That is such a sweet thing to say.

No, six years isn't long at all.

suzanne: Me too.

You are so right--some things just aren't.

I know my kids are quite happy to have that shot.

connie: So true--we are here to learn all these lessons, aren't we. Thank you.

tiffs tickles: It is a treasured message.

Notes like that from your little guy are always appreciated, aren't they.

Enjoy your sweet times with them--I know it can be trying some time.

klin: So true--wouldn't sell them for all the money in the world.

Thank you for your sweet words.

With some the teenage years were the best--with others I wouldn't say that ; )

Tonya said...

I was shocked when I learned that not everyone would like me in this world..LOL I can't imagine why someone wouldn't like you. Sweetest lady ever!

I'm doing my best to enjoy every moment with this little guy of mine. You're so right, it goes by way to fast.

Amber said...

That note you received from your son? That is what EVERY mother hopes to someday receive.

Magirk said...

First, I can't imagine anyone NOT liking you! But like you say, I guess people have different preferences. :-S I'll try to remember that when I think of all the people who don't like ME. (haha!)

I enjoyed reading about all those lessons. That's one thing I love about reading your blog - the way you express so beautifully your gratitude for life and it's many blessings. It always makes me take a step back and remember how greatly I've been blessed.

Thanks for that. :-)

Corrine said...

I was so touched by your words today thanks, I have been thinking a lot about lots of stuff you wrote. love the note from your son.

and i can't imagine anyone not liking you! i have a hard time with wanting everyone to like me to..and I always just assume they do :) and then feel horrible when all of a sudden i feel like they don't....

Sheri said...

As always you are inspiring! I do need to LISTEN to that advice.. because right now I am having a hard time enjoying any of it!
I pray for your post of happy days and that it will be hear soon!! And since we seem to be following each other I (lessons and talks) I will be posting that as well!

Heidi said...

You are awesome mom and a FANTASTICKLY FABULOUS mother:) You have taught me TONS!!!! A LOT more people love you than I think you think do;) If that makes sense...I SURE LOVE YA TONS!!!

Nancy Face said...

Wonderful post! I love the sweet picture with your mother-in-law. Your grandson is so cute! :)