Saturday, August 1, 2009

THE VALUE OF EXPERIENCES

This was supposed to be my post last Wednesday, but I didn't get it done in time. I have enjoyed doing the "Things I know" posts that sweetpea encouraged us to do. By the way, go by and wish sweetpea congratulations. She just gave birth to a second set of twins--this time boys. They are beautiful.

I had the opportunity last Sunday to teach the lesson in Relief Society. It was from Pres. Eyring's General Conference talk "Adversity". I loved preparing it. Just like giving a talk, I learned so much more than everyone in the class.

As I was teaching, I thought about the importance of having scriptures to recall when we need them. Now, that is something I've known for a long time because I have been a Seminary teacher and know the value of memorizing scriptures and the real value of applying them. (Not that Seminary teachers are the only ones who know that--but we are always teaching it) In the back of my scriptures is a place that I list the scriptures I need to remember. Many of the scriptures are about "trusting in the Lord"; the importance of prayer--and counseling with and not giving counsel to the Lord (one of my big weaknesses); the Atonement; as well as forgivieness and the need to forgive others. Having these scriptures to look at when I prepare to ponder helps me so much.

As I was working on the lesson, something I hadn't thought about was the importance of having titles of talks written down so you can find when you need them--not the whole talk but the reference. Pres. Eyring's talk on Adversity is a great one for the tough times--like today when our hot water heater leaked. (We have a drain in the furnace room where it is located, but the floor was incredibly wet. Fortunately, Allan had gone into that room and was able to turn the water off--WHAT A MESS) Elder Wirthlin's talk "Come What May and Love It" is another one for times like these. I love Pres. Monson's talk from October "Finding Joy in the Journey". President Uchtdorf's talk at the last Women's Broadcast about "creating" is a classic that I hope I will never forget. Even though we have the ability to search these on the computer, if we can just list them in our scriptures, it will help.

The other thing I thought about was the personal experiences that you don't ever want to forget. I had an experience with paying my tithing years and years ago that will forever be something that I can call upon when I need it. I need to write it down so my kids have it when they need it. Allan and I have faced tough times--those memories are helping us get through this difficult time we are having right now. But I know that those experiences need to be written and then stored in a place so they can be easily retrieved and not forgotten.

Some experiences are very sacred and are difficult, if not impossible, to record.

Recently as I was visiting on the phone with one of my children we were talking about how we don't always know why things happen. I explained the importance of always remembering that God is mindful of us. I couldn't help but remember this experience that I had back in 1998 when Pres. Hinckley came to our Stake. Our youth were invited to sing. A choir was formed and they had several "mandatory" practices. Heidi and Brent faithfully attended each practice--and I will be a hag and say many did not. When the last practice was held, and the youth were assigned the location where they would stand, I was disappointed that Heidi was in the first row of the congregation and not on the stand. (They were not divided according to whether they were alto, soprano, whatever. As much as I wanted to complain, I bit my tongue--thanks to Allan.

When the day of the meeting arrived, we were very excited and Kyle and I got to the Stake Center a couple of hours before the meeting began. Allan was on Security and the kids went very early. When the meeting began, Kyle and I were seated about half-way back in the Cultural Hall. The meeting was wonderful--the youth sounded like angels. After the talks, and the Prophet exited the chapel, he and Sister Hinckley passed right by Heidi and they both shook her hand. (If my memory is correct, they only shook hands with a couple of youth--Heidi and the person sitting next to her. This was something I will always be grateful for and the memory has helped Heidi through many difficult times. I know God is mindful of us and our struggles. That is an experience I know Heidi and her dad and I will never forget.

Sidenote: Remember the giveaway that Connie was hosting. I won this bracelet. Thanks, Connie. I'm so excited.



16 comments:

ShEiLa said...

There is much value to our life experience if we can just buckle down at times when things get rough. Not all experiences are easy but all are for our good.

Thanks for sharing the stories.

I went over to congratulate sweetpea and her darling twins.

Oh and that braclet you won is beautiful.

ToOdLeS.

ps. Thanks for your concern over Yvette it is deeply appreciated.

Heffalump said...

Experiences are what build the layers of our souls. We are sent here to this earth so that we can have experiences because they are so important to our eternal progression. And not only can we have our own experiences, but we can be the ones that help others have great and memorable experiences as well. Isn't it great?

Valerie said...

Wow! You've been busy! I'm sorry I missed a couple of your posts!

I love your idea about putting titles of talks in our scriptures. I think having some of our favorite spiritual quotes (if not too long) would be another great addition.

Klin said...

I think some experiences would be easier to get through if we just knew the why. I know you know what I am referring to.

Thanks for your love.

Mel said...

I would have loved to hear your lesson. I love the idea of referencing those favorite talks in the scriptures.

Amber said...

This is beautiful, my dear. Love the story about the prophet and your daughter. Your initial reaction was the same of what mine would have been but what a blessing it all turned out to be!

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie said...

I quickly read through this post last night and thought about the experience Heidi had with the choir and Pres. Hinckley most of the day today. We really don't know why things happen the way they do but somehow they work out. What a blessing for her she got to shake Pres. Hinckley's hand. Aren't you glad you didn't say anything!

You're very welcome for the bracelet. (I still need your address.)

sweetpea said...

I love the idea of keeping a list of scriptures you want to easily access in the back of your scriptures. I have so many favorites that I remember easily, but there are many more that I wish I could find when I need them. I think I'll start that list too!
You're right about the value of experiences--they are really the backbone of our learning experience here, and it's the tough ones that strengthen us much more that we would have otherwise.
You are wonderful---I always love reading your insights.

Btw--thanks to all the lovely Yvonne readers who came to wish me the best and offer congratulations! I loved reading your commments!! Thank you!!!

Tori said...

Oh Yvonne! I LOVED this post. You know we've had A LOT of adversity lately and it really does make us stronger. (Although sometimes I just wanna be weak! lol) GREAT post!
I've missed so much this past week. I'm reading all, but probably not commenting because I'm lazy. ;)

Melissa said...

I need to be better about writing those things down. I know those experiences, but just don't take the time. One of my mom's friends has a "Blessing Journal" where she writes such things. It's a wonderful thing for her to pick up and read when she's having struggles!

Love that bracelet... I'm going to have to look at it closely to see if I could every possibly recreate something similar... probably not, but I would LOVE to try :)

Nancy Face said...

What a wonderful post! I love the story of Heidi and how she was blessed to shake hands with President Hinckley! :)

The bracelet is beautiful! YAY!

Natalie said...

As always, you have such great insights. I love to read your blog.

How wonderful for Heidi. A blessing in disguise.

I'm sorry you're still having so many challenges. I just hate tough times even though I know it will be better, it's hard meanwhile.

You're in my prayers.

Sheri said...

Thanks for sharing Yvonne... all of it so true! I had some of the same thoughts while preparing my lesson as well - I came across a book that had so many good things in it - If life were easy it wouldn't be hard - by Sheri Dew, I applied a few of the principles of prayer this week and had a quick an powerful answer. It renewed my testimony and made me that much more grateful for the gospel and all of the helps we are given!

Suzanne said...

I loved all the talks that you mentioned. Isn't it wonderful how the leaders of the church know exactly what we need to hear. I hope you get the answers that you need! BTW, the bracelet you won is gorgeous. How fun! :)

Heidi said...

You bet I will NEVER forget that experience!!!!;) I remember it a lot when things are not going exactly how I think they should---good thing the Lord always knows what is best for us and blesses us with more than we would have settled for!!!