Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day of Remembrance

I have been blogging for a couple of years and thought that I had already blogged about what happened 8 years ago ago, but I did not. Therefore, I want to record my thoughts about that day.

I was sitting in the family room watching The Today show when they reported that a plane had apparently flown into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I called Allan who was in Toronto at the time. He hadn't heard anything about it, and at that point it appeared to be an accident. When they showed the fire, I thought my goodness, it's a clear day, how could a plane possibly hit the building?

As I was watching, suddenly you saw the second plane hit. I was dumbfounded. It was obvious it was not an accident.

I had to stop and take Brent and Kyle to school. I came back and watched for awhile and got on the phone with Heidi who was a Freshman at BYU. She said there was all kinds of talk about what was going on--I was so incredibly grateful that she seemed o.k.

I had a piano lesson, and when I got there, Mrs. R hadn't been watching the news, and so we went into her family room and turned on the TV and sat there glued to it for an hour--both of us crying.

I came home and continued to watch TV. I talked to each of the kids on the phone, and that brought me comfort. I didn't like that many of them were far away. Several times I talked to Allan. He knew he wasn't going to get home for a few days. I felt very selfish because I wanted him here--I missed him. Yet I knew he would come home, and there were so many who had husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters who wouldn't be coming home. My heart broke over and over, as I heard each story. I couldn't believe this could be happening. I felt helpless and wanted to do something. I knew I couldn't--so I prayed. I prayed for the families, for our President, for the military, and for all of the workers.

When I talked to Allan we talked about his cousin Ron who worked in one of the towers. We were both very worried. (Fortunately, he had been traveling in Asia and had arrived home late the previous night so decided to sleep in and spend some time with his wife, Susan. After the planes hit, they went to the roof of their apartment building and saw much of the horror of that day.

The hurt was so deep. I do feel that I learned a great lesson about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His suffering for us. I've tried to comprehend it. The hurt and anguish I felt that day as I thought of the suffering of all of those people, gave me a tiny glimpse of what it must have been like for Him to suffer the pains of our sins, hurts, disappointments--EVERYTHING for all of us. It just helped me to understand it better.

It truly is a day I will never forget.

I had the opportunity to go to New York a year later and stood at Ground Zero. When I was in Times Square I went up to a firemen to shake his hand and express my appreciation for him, as well as the other firefighters and policemen for all they did. Obviously, I am also very grateful for the military and their families for their sacrifices in our behalf.

God Bless America.

14 comments:

Connie said...

Yvonne,
Thanks for the post. I will never forget that day either. It was certainly a time of great loss; raw, unending, emotion; spiritual awareness; and unity.
May we never forget.

sweetpea said...

Thank you for this post. I stayed up so late last night, glued once again to the tv, as I watched footage of that horrific day. Truly, may we never forget the victims, their families, and those that risked their lives to help.

Heffalump said...

We talked with our kids about 9-11 over dinner last night. Only the oldest three were born at the time, and the oldest was only four years old.
I remember sitting on the couch crying, while they played on the floor, totally oblivious to what was going on.

Melissa said...

My Grandpa died on the 9th. I was at my parents house with my two little boys trying to help Mom with funeral preparations. I got up that morning and my Mom told me to go watch the TV. I told her no :) I could tell by the look in her eyes that it wasn't good. I watched most of the day... spilling tears and praying. Thanks for your post.

Sheri said...

Well put! It's amazing how many of us were tuned in at the same time. I remember watching the same thing you described. such a sad day...

Tonya said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings. Reading this made me realize that I should blog about that day as well.
God Bless America!!

aurora said...

Yvonne, thank you for posting this. I don't think that I recorded this anywhere, either. I think that I will do just that.
xo

Magirk said...

Lovely thoughts. Thank you.

Hubby and I were in D.C. for our vacation about 3 weeks after 9/11 occurred. I'll never forget the intensity of feelings and thoughts that we felt touring that area so soon after this tragedy. It gave us an entirely new perspective and respect for our great Nation and the freedoms we enjoy. We are incredibly blessed in America! We should all remember that each and every day of our lives, and never stop standing up for those freedoms - never take them for granted.

Amber said...

I'm a few days late on this but better later than never, right?

I think we will ALL be able to say where we were and what we were doing when we first found out about the horrible terrorist attack. I was working in SLC at Deseret Book's corporate office. We all stayed in the ZCMI Center food court glued to the TV.

Valerie said...

I was working at an elementary school as a 4th grade aid. The teacher had the tv on, but the volume was turned down. I tried to hold in the tears as I watched and graded papers. The teacher tried to keep the kids occupied and shield them from the terrible-ness of the day and she did a good job. But I just wanted to go home and hug my family.

It was a terrible day. Thanks for sharing your feelings about it.

Corrine said...

brings tears to my eyes, i hope to one day visit new york.

mindyluwho said...

I too was glued to the TV and it was horrible seeing the terror on the people who were running away through all the dust. And then hearing all the stories throughout the following weeks of families who had lost loved ones, and the firefighters who died trying to save people, that was so heart wrenching.

Nancy Face said...

This just brought back so many of my own similar feelings and experiences surrounding that awful event. It was so very heartbreaking.

Tori said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. I know any time I see any footage at all from that day all the feelings come rushing back. I can't help but cry.