Monday, September 7, 2009

Going Home

As I mentioned in my previous post, we took a detour on our way back to Winnipeg--stopping in Jackson, Wyoming, so we could go through Yellowstone. First, we found out that because my hubby is over 62 (just barely ; ) he was able to buy a "lifetime" pass for National Parks for $10. (See, sometimes it REALLY does pay to be OLD ; )

Before I do the recap of our trip, I need to say that my husband keeps track of everything. We went to Yellowstone back in 1994 with Allan's mom and dad and his sister Bev and her hubby and Heidi, Brent, and Kyle. I was going through the file and am

The scenery was beautiful. There were beautiful mountain ranges:


















































Incredible waterfalls:






















































I kept my eyes WIDE open in hopes of seeing a bear--never saw one, but at least we saw lots of these guys.
























I'm a city girl, so I loved seeing this.




















We stopped and had delicous ice cream--so glad I only got a single scoop ; ) Can you imagine what 2 would have been like???

When we left the park via the East entrance, we got on Highway 212. Google said from Jackson, Wyoming, to Billings, Montana using this road would take 5 1/2 hours. YEAH, SURE!!!! GUESS AGAIN.

I was the navigator and after we were driving for about an hour on a VERY curvy road, I couldn't figure out why we hadn't seen the "Welcome to Montana" sign--and the reason???BECAUSE WE WERE STILL IN WYOMING.

We went from 6,000 feet to 11,000 feet and back down to 3,000. The road is only open from May - October--that should have been our first clue. When we were near the top, I saw this and WAS SHOCKED. Yeah, it's a guy on a bike (or should I say, A CRAZY PERSON .

I need to add that I'm sure glad that my hubby is such a great driver.

And finally, SOMEONE didn't check the back of their truck when they left the park.


SIDENOTE: The house is quiet, but IT'S O.K.

9 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Wowza!

YOU got some great photos. My hubby is jealous of the gorgeous Teton shot... he loves mountains.

Also some nice buffalo piX... and waterfalls.

We saw one buffalo and though he was huge... we didn't get a really clear shot.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

Why would someone ride a bike on a road that climbs to 11,000 feet!
Great pictures of some beautiful country!

mindyluwho said...

When we were in BC this summer our GPS took us through a dirt road that had a million potholes a foot deep...and we were pulling a boat! Gotta love that "smart" technology!

Heffalump said...

Glad you are home safely!

Ashley said...

I have been catching up on reading blogs. I have been telling myself all Summer as soon as school starts things will calm down. I am not sure what I was thinking. Life just gets crazier.

I was reading about you all dropping Kyle off at school. I kind of understand. I had no problem dropping my older two girls off at preschool. But I have decided not to let my baby do preschool this year even though she is old enough. I just want her with me.

It looks like so much fun meeting up with your UT blogging friends. I have been here for two months and still have not made the drive to meet up mine. I need to do that. I keep thinking I need to be better settled first but just like my thinking school would make life easier, I will probably not be settled for a long time. I just need to do it! Hopefully I will make plans to meet up with you one day too!

Your posts are always enjoyable thanks for sharing.

~Ashley

Doran & Jody said...

Crazy, crazy guy!!

We are heading up in that area next week. Can't wait!!

Valerie said...

**Heavy sigh**
We know God loves us because He created Yellowstone Park. ;-) It's truly my favorite-est place in the world to be. I'm glad you enjoyed it! You took some GORGEOUS photos!

That curvy road you were on was Beartooth Pass. It's not for the feint of heart. But it's a beautiful drive. Your altitude was so high you were above the tree line. I'm sorry you were led far off course, but IMHO, it's a beautiful drive and worth it!! (Although I think the bikers are a little batty too.)

Corrine said...

i wonder if that biker was dropped off at the top? :) that would be my choice....

glad you are home safe and sound and that you had a wonderful time.

Nancy Face said...

Oh, how I love mountains and pine trees and waterfalls! I would love seeing all those sights, but the crazy road...? Not so much! ;)