Monday, September 28, 2009

Let's Have Some Fun

I really feel like having fun today, and I think I will try and do it here.

About a year ago when Allan and I were traveling home he was giving me some ideas for some posts, and I only did a couple. So, I thought it was time to try and do another one.

So I'm going to go for best adventures. The dictionary describes adventure as: "an exciting or very unusual experience"; or "participation in exciting undertakings" or "a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome". Sometimes everyday life can pretty much be an adventure. I guess I need to be a little more specific ; ) We've had some pretty fun "adventures" in our life--lots of trips where we've had great adventures, especially with the kids, but here are a couple of my favorites--not necessarily in any particular order:

1) Ziplining: We have done it twice. The first time was when Allan and I were on a cruise to Mexico and the second was when we were in Ketchikan.


















































2) Parasailing: Oh, my goodness that was so fun. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. Thank goodness my SIL, Bev, is braver than me. We had a blast--of course, you'd never know by looking at my face.

3) Climbing the Great Wall: An adventure I will never forget.

4) Some Pretty Fun Things: Besides the above mentioned things, while we've cruised, we've done some pretty adventurous things like riding ATV's to the Alaskan Pipeline, bikeriding in Alaska, swimming with the Stingrays in Stingray City, or viewing Haley's Comet from the Southern Hemisphere. I have to admit I'll never forget being locked in the stairwell of the hotel in Sydney, Australia--an adventure I'd LOVE TO FORGET.

5) Hurricane Hugo: That was something I wasn't ready for. The day before Hurricane Hugo hit I was out visiting teaching. The news had been reporting that Hugo would hit the North Carolina shore that night. My companion told me not to worry, it would never come in to land far enough to hit Charlotte. WRONG.

6) Moving to Canada: I guess actually, every one of our moves was an adventure, but when we moved to Canada in 1990, it was our first move to a foreign country; ) Little did we know that we would be leaving there a few years later and then move back in 1996. As scary as it was, I have enjoyed it so much.

7) Being a mother: Actually I could have said my pregnancies--each of them was quite an adventure. But go up and read those definitions--PERFECT. Is there any adventure that is more rewarding--there were days when I wasn't sure, but I LOVE BEING A MOM. I know I get a little hyper sometimes--just ask Kyle. When I first became a mom, I was scared to death. As I look back on it all, it has been a GREAT ADVENTURE. I really need a picture with ALL MY KIDS--sorry, Heidi.

8) Marrying this guy: Can I tell you it has been AN AWESOME ADVENTURE. I have loved it. We have had our struggles (like everyone) but TOGETHER WE CAN GET THROUGH ANYTHING. I'm so grateful for his positive attitude. He is THE BEST.

The best part of all THE ADVENTURES ARE NOT OVER YET!!!!

How about you--What's your greatest or best adventure? Share it.


SIDENOTE: I have to share the fun thing that happened when I was out running this morning. I was on my way back home and passed an older man who said, "Excuse me, did you know there is a speed limit on this street?" I'm not sure if it was the red face or the heavy breathing, but I can tell you I had a GREAT LAUGH.

20 comments:

Heffalump said...

I am not very adventurous, except I am a Mom. That is about the extent of it for me, but I am pretty happy with it, so I'll keep on going!

glittersmama said...

I didn't know you lived in Charlotte. I grew up an hour away from there.

Connie said...

My adventures are NOTHING compared to yours! I love the para-sailing picture. Your SIL has let go of the ropes, you're hanging on...you're the smart one!

I guess life is an adventure.

Klin said...

Para sailing and being a mom.

I loved para sailing and I only went so I wouldn't ruin the fun for my hubby. Turns out I would have been the one to miss out.

Tonya said...

Life is about all the adventure I can take..lol

You have done a lot of fun things.

Love the guy on the run. How funny!

txmommy said...

love it! what a great list!

ShEiLa said...

I must admit.

I have never been ziplining, or parasailing, or bungee jumping, I don't consider myself the adventureous type. Other than the US and Canada I have not traveled.
I have been in some pretty scary blizzards. Those are adventures that I don't wish to revisit.

But if I get to include being a wife and Mother... then I am in. The worst moments are when you are in the hospital trying to figure out what is wrong with a child... So much of life is learn as you go... no univeristy for that kind of stuff.

ToOdLeS.

ps. one of my YW hikes we got to the bottom where we were supposed to camp for the night... it started to snow. Totally unexpected... What could we really do but bed down for the night and stay warm and pray that it would stop so they wouldn't have to helicopter us out... thankfully it did not dump the full load on us.

Valerie said...

You are so brave!! I had the opportunity to parasail, but I chickened out. I regret it! But if I can have the chance again, I would do it!! I want to try a zip line again. I did a little kid one at girl's camp and LOVED it!! (It was probably only 50 yards long.)

Sometimes I think just getting out of Florin is an adventure.

You have had some amazing opportunities in your life! Can't wait to see what adventure you're going on next!

JustRandi said...

I LOVE that you've done all those things!!
I think traveling is an adventure in itself, and it's one I would LOVE to do more of!!

Doran & Jody said...

Love the post. I wish I could remember past yesterday to post something like this.

Fun times you guys have! Keep it up!

Tiff's Tickles said...

What a great post. What a lot of great adventures. Sometimes I don't think of motherhood as an adventure, but boy howdy is it every! Love the pictures.:)

Sheri said...

What a fun post!! It's helped me remember some of my adventures... most when I was single, para-sailing was one of my fav's - but motherhood is an adventure all on it's own as is this whole restaurant thing!! Thanks for sharing!

Ambrosia said...

I must say that moving to Alaska for two years is probably my greatest adventure. That and going to school full-time with my first baby. I love your adventures! I hope I am as brave as you are when the opportunity arises!

Natalie said...

You have had some awesome adventures. You have done a lot of brave things. I don't know if I'm brave enough to go para-sailing.
I loved climbing to the top of the Great Wall. That was exhilirating. I've done some fun traveling and of course, my favorite, motherhood.
Love the comment from the man. Soooooo funny!

Carrot Jello said...

I'm not adventurous at all. One time I rode a bike around this metal circle up in the air. That was a long time ago.

Liam's Mom said...

You are so much fun, Yvonne! I like that you included motherhood and marriage in your greatest adventure list! You are awesome!

Yvonne said...

heffalump: I think being a mom of all those boys (and only 1 daughter) must be quite an adventure. (I'm glad you'll keep going)

glittersmama: We lived there for a little over a year. I LOVED IT.

connie: You had twins--that had to be an adventure.

I was hanging on for dear life.

klin: Isn't it great fun.

tonya: Every day is an adventure, eh?

txmommy: thanks--it was fun.

sheila: There are lots of scary moments raising children--it is quite the adventure.

I'm glad your hike with the young women turned out okay.

valerie: I knew my SIL wanted to do it, but she wouldn't do it alone, so I HAD TO DO IT ; ) And, I'm so glad.

justrandi: I agree--traveling is an adventure.

doran&jody: We've had some great times.

tifftickles: You are so right--motherhood is quite the adventure.

sheri: Motherhood is an adventure and I can't even imagine what an adventure it would be to own a restaurant.

ambrosia: Alaska must have been fun. You have had quite the adventure--going to school full time with a baby. WOW.

natalie: We have been very blessed to have some fun adventures.

The Great Wall is incredible.

The comment still makes me chuckle.

carrot: Hey, who was it who dove in that freezing water in Oregon--how can you say you are not adventurous!!!!

liam'smom: Believe me, marriage and motherhood has been a GREAT ADVENTURE for me.

Hugs.

mindyluwho said...

Fishing on the deep sea in a little 10 foot aluminum boat...

I love that comment that man made! Go Yvonne!

Nancy Face said...

I haven't done ANY of these things except for marriage and motherhood! I am not adventurous AT ALL! Yep, I'm pretty much a big chicken!

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our lives, and I can say with 99% certainty that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.sosblog.com/-b/Will-the-R4-or-R4i-work-b1-p2.htm]r4i ds[/url] DS Qezv2)