Thursday, September 17, 2009

OUR EMPTY NEST

It's been a couple of weeks since we dropped Kyle off in Utah, and I just wanted to write a few things about life at our house:

IT'S QUIET--TOO QUIET. There have been so many changes.

1) We have a three car garage, but it's a little different than some three-car garages. When you look at it, it looks like a two-car garage, but one of the garages is longer than the other and you park one in front of the other. When Kyle got his car this presented a problem. We were always having to move cars around when he'd get home later and one of us would leave earlier than him. NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE.

2) Do you know how long it takes to fill the dishwasher when there are only two people eating at home? Imagine what it would be like if Allan was working and not home for breakfast and lunch????? I'm still adjusting to cooking for just the two of us.

3) I'm sure glad we didn't buy that HUGE washer and dryer ; )

4) I'm sure the garbage men are wondering why it only takes a few seconds to throw the bags in the truck now ; )

5) I don't fight back the tears when I go into his room, I just smile knowing he's doing great.

6) I miss his friends and wonder hope they are all doing well at University here.

Now, in spite of all of this, let me just assure you that I'M SO HAPPY HE IS WHERE HE IS.

1) He is doing well and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.

2) Allan is going down for Conference so he'll get a chance to see him and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.

3) I get to watch Devotionals on line and know he is watching/listening, too, and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.

4) He gets to see The Killers in concert next weekend and I know how excited he is about it and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.

5) He'll be home in approximately 92 days and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.


6) BYU is ranked #7 in the AP Poll so going to football games for Kyle will be more fun and THAT MAKES ME SMILE. I told him to enjoy it while it lasts. BTW, here's a pic of him at his first BYU game. It was 2003 and the night Steve Young was honored.

7) He's there with Brent and Heidi and THAT MAKES ME SMILE.

Sidenote #1: Today is the birthday of Amanda, one of my beautiful granddaughters. She was married in July and is living in the Northwest. Happy Birthday, Amanda. If I was there, I'd make you this "death by chocolate" that she requested at the barbeque we had the night before her wedding ; )

Sidenote #2: No news on the job front, but hopefully things will come together soon.

Sidenote #3: Running class tonight--need to do a post regarding: Persevering paying off. When I started I thought running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute was a killer. I'm now running 8 minutes and walking 1 minute. Added: I obviously had a "Senior Moment" tonight--I thought we were running at the Park. Nope, that is our class in two weeks. (Don't know how I made THAT mistake ; (

15 comments:

Connie said...

You seem to be handling the "empty nest syndrome" rather well! Great thoughts. Have fun at your running class. You're doing so well!

Corrine said...

amazing on your running! proud of you! and glad you have so many things that make you smile!

Klin said...

I am so taking notes. My baby turns 12 in 1 week. I gotta be planning ahead.

I love all the things that make you smile. I can picture your smile.

Neal said...

When G-Man and the wife are out-of-town, it's crazy how quiet it is. I know what you mean...

Heffalump said...

I'm glad you are adjusting to the changes, and I am sure you will get used to the quiet.
Thanks for making ME smile today!

Tori said...

I understand to an extent. When the kids are gone in the summer laundry is next to nothing. Dinners are small. It's weird.
(((HUGS)))

Valerie said...

My parents just quit using their dishwasher. It just sits there, collecting dust day after day... begging, "Please use me!!"

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the Death by Chocolate recipe!!

Natalie said...

I'm glad that you're smiling. I still really, really miss having my kids with me all the time. I am fine and smiling too BUT it's hard.
I am still amazed at your running. Good job.
I sure hope things improve on the job hunting front sooooon. I am praying for you.

txmommy said...

wow! good job on the running.

I'm glad your kids are all doing well, I guess an empty nest is a little easier knowing that all is well!

Sheri said...

I am sure it is hard to adjust to just the 2 of you! I too am glad you find so many things to make you smile!! You are as ever inspiring (way to go with the running) and I love you... you make me smile:)!!

sweetpea said...

I was going to write something else, but the sight of that cake made me forget! Recipe, please! :)

ShEiLa said...

The empty nest thing is rough...

Sorry that I neglected you while in Illinois... not much computer time.

ToOdLeS.

Amber said...

I need my friend Wendy to read this post. She dropped her first child off at BYU a few weeks ago and cannot stop crying. Your happy perspective is refreshing!

Nancy Face said...

I am SOOO not in a hurry to reach the empty nest stage! I'm not sure my attitude will be as positive as yours is! :P

Yvonne said...

connie: It really has been o.k. I do miss Kyle (and all the kids).

corrine: Thanks.

klin: 12 - 18 goes VERY FAST.

I do have lots to smile about.

neal: I'm sure you do.

heffalump: I guess I have no choice but to get used ot it--no since in fighting it.

tori: It does make a big difference doesn't it.

Thanks for the hugs.

valerie: I've thought about not using the dishwasher but I'm too lazy ; ) I will post the recipe.

natalie: I know I probably sound selfish talking about missing my kids when you are so far away from yours. Thanks for being such a great example.

I appreciate the prayers.

txmommy: Knowing all is well makes a HUGE difference.

Running has been fun--NEVER thought I'd say that.

sheri: Smiling sure beats CRYING.

I love you, too. Thank you for your kind words.

sweetpea: I will post the recipe.

sheila: No problem--I'm so glad you had a fantastic time.

amber: Doesn't do any good to cry about it--certainly wouldn't make me feel any better. Looking for things to make me smile WORKS MUCH BETTER FOR ME.

I hope your friend is ok.

nancyface: I have no doubt that you will be positive--YOU ALWAYS ARE.