Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WHAT I KNOW WEDNESDAY--Happiness is a Choice

For awhile I was in a bit of a funk. I tried very hard to pull myself out of it. Maybe it's the empty nest syndrome, maybe it's not teaching seminary, or perhaps Allan still being out of work, but whatever I HAVEN'T LIKED IT. I tried to focus on all the good that was happening around me and let go of those things that weren't working the way I wanted.

When I was in Utah I bought a book from an author who is very light and whose books always make me smile--Emily Watts. The title of the book, "I Hate it When Exercise is the Answer". It says it is "a fitness program for the soul." I'm going to use a few of her quotes, and I hope that if I let you all know that these are her words I will not be infringing on any copyright laws.

What I read last Monday night was regarding happiness. She said she participated in an online survey to help out some BYU students and one of the questions was, "On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being 'not happy at all and 10 being extremely happy', how happy are you?"

She said she picked 9 and the next question was--"If you picked any number less than 10, why?"

Well, that got me thinking--You have to know the day I read it, it was not one of my happiest days. But why? What do I not have to be happy about? Other than Allan not having a job (I know it's a big problem--we are not ready for him to retire for lots of reasons), we are doing o.k. I have never wanted to be a person who thought--I'll be happy when...(whatever the "when" is)

We all have problems--we all have struggles. We just need to smile and go forward, I know it. But the thing she said that REALLY hit me was "maybe happiness doesn't imply a total lack of sorrow but a perfect understanding of how to deal with it."

So What do I Know Today: It's up to me to find happiness in spite of things that are happening around me. So I will strive to do that EACH AND EVERY DAY. Follow Elder Wirthlin's philosophy: "Come what may and LOVE IT" ; )

I like what my son-in-law, Tony, says: "MAKE IT A GREAT DAY". I hope you do ; )

Sidenote: I'm trying to spend less time on the computer, so I know I will not be posting tomorrow. So I will wish my son, Neal, a Happy Birthday a day early. I love this picture Macy took of him and their little guy.

Also, the 24th is also the 15th anniversary of Wendy and Tony. This picture gives you an idea of how fun these two are ; ) Happy Anniversary guys.


18 comments:

txmommy said...

I wrote about the same thing today. How funny. I firmly believe that happiness is a choice, sometimes it's hard to choose it but we can.

I hope Allan gets a job soon but whatever happens you guys are awesome, and the Lord loves you, and it will be fine.

Hugs!!

Neal said...

Thanks, Mom!

Natalie said...

I love your post. I always think happiness is a choice too. I love your positive attitude. I know it's hard and you are going through some tough times, but it will be find. You will be blessed in the end.

Love you.

Heffalump said...

There are a lot of things in life that we think we have no choice about, but there is always a choice of how we will react and what we will do with our circumstances. Thanks for making me think about this!

aurora said...

Thank you for this post. Truly makes you think.
Thanks for the well-wishes. xo

ShEiLa said...

Thanks for the uplifting post. I know sometimes I can pull off a really slamming pitty party... but when I sit down and think about it... Life is good. Things could be a whole lot worse. So why waste time being negative... accentuate the postitive. That is my lifelong pursuit.

ToOdLeS.

Valerie said...

Two things my husband always says, "I'm just happy to be here." and "Life is good." I wish I had his sunny outlook, but I struggle too. Yesterday I decided I was done with being negative. Thank you for reminding me to look on the sunny side of things!

Melissa said...

I LOVE Emily Watts and I loved that book. It was a great read it is true. But, I was just reading Kym's blog "Temporary Insanity?" and she talked about giving yourself permission to be sad. It's okay to have moments where we give in and just let ourselves be sad. But then we can choose to be happy again :)

Klin said...

I answered 9 when I read that question. So in thinking about it I realize it is because my health is holding me back to do many of the things that I want to do.

I need to come to grips with the health limitations and not let it affect my happiness.

I don't have too many complaints. Who couldn't use more money, but really my life is pretty darn good.

JustRandi said...

I love this post. And it's an interesting question. Why do we not just answer 10 right away?

You're right, tho. Happiness IS a choice! thanks for the reminder.

PJ said...

I agree, happiness is a choice. What a great choice to have!

Heidi said...

Great words of wisdom mom as always;) I also love that pic of Neal and G-man!!!

mindyluwho said...

"maybe happiness doesn't imply a total lack of sorrow but a perfect understanding of how to deal with it."

I LOVE that quote. It is a huge epiphany to me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That's a great post and reminder Yvonne.
Thanks

Tori said...

Oops- anonymous was me!!

Tonya said...

Very good post Yvonne. It's so very true. Attitude has so much to do with everything.

I hope that Allan gets a job soon. Thank you for being such a positive person in my life.

Nancy Face said...

What an excellent post, with great quotes! :)

I pray often for Allan's job situation.

The birthday and anniversary pictures are so cute! :)

karim said...

An insightfull post. Will definitely help.

Thanks,
Karim - Mind Power