Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What I Know Wednesday--Stretching is Necessary

Stretching is necessary, but when you're being stretched IT'S THE PITS. Maybe that's the controlling part of me--I don't like to think I'm not in control.

So while I may know it is necessary, it doesn't mean I have to like it. DOES IT????

Whenever I'm being stretched, I think of one of my favorite quotes by C.S. Lewis which has been quoted numerous times by many General Authorities:

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of--throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

That always helps me. If you're being stretched at the moment, I hope it helps you.

Sidenote: Today is the birthday of another granddaughter, Miss Kiah. So I will post a couple of pictures. The first is one of my favorites. It brings back such memories. When Kiah was born I was in the hospital with severe dehydration due to my pregnancy with Kyle. When I mentioned to the nurses that I just became a grandma again they just looked at me dumbfounded and said something like--AND YOU ARE PREGNANT???? I was able to travel to California a few months later to meet her.





















The second picture is of her and Kyle when she got ready to leave after Amanda's weddingl. (Sorry, Kyle, I know you just got out of bed ; ) She is currently in college. She is a beautiful girl and I am so proud of her.







18 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Stretching is hard for me either way. Figuratively speaking or literally.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

Ah, but sometimes stretching also prepares us to handle the bigger obstacles that come our way. If we don't stretch, then those things will hurt even more.

Carrot Jello said...

When I think of stretching,
I think of Wesley in "The Princess Bride".
It hurts.
It stinks.
But you might be a little taller by the time you're done.
:)

Sheri said...

I always look forward to your Wed. posts... you are inspiring to me! You are my exercise inspiration... so thanks! I hate being stretched too, but know it is for the best in the long run!...and for a long run by the way!!;)

Natalie said...

Stretching is soooooo hard, but oh it is ever so good in the end.

Love the way you put great ideas into words.

Stop by my blog again if you have time. I've got my comments up now. Sorry for the delay. Computer problems.

Klin said...

I think stretching would be easier if we knew why in the beginning, but that isn't the way the Lord does it. Of course the unintended lessons would be lost if we knew why, too.

See why He is so much smarter than me. I love you Wednesday posts. You are amazing.

Connie said...

I thought this was another running post! Stretching is necessary before and after running. I guess we can compare living life to running a marathon. We need to be stretched so the race won't be so painful along the way.
Cute pictures!

Valerie said...

I haven't heard that quote before. I guess I haven't been listening very well. (I need to stretch my ears a little more.) I'm going to share that with a friend who is going through a difficult time!

The story about being pregnant with a new grandchild made me laugh. It reminded me of the saying, "You know you're a true Mormon when you're pregnant and standing in your daughter's wedding line!"

JustRandi said...

I know it's necessary, but that really doesn't help me like it.

(I know, I should probably be more spiritual and figure out how to be happy about stretching, right?)

Whitney said...

I really like that quote, I hadn't heard it before!
Happy birthday to Kiah!

mindyluwho said...

Great quote! But sometimes I wish He would show me the blueprints so I would know what to expect!

aurora said...

Thank you for that wonderful quote. I love it. xo

Jess said...

Awesome quote and good luck with the stretching!!!! I think we all get to be stretched once in a while.

Yvonne said...

sheila: Me, too.

heffalump: You are so right. I know that each problem that I get through helps prepare me for the next. I just don't always enjoy going through them.

carrot jello: I love that thought--thank you for your wisdom.

sheri: You are so sweet--thanks. I understand that it is best, but, like you, don't necessarily enjoy it.

natalie: I just can't wait for the stretching for this little struggle to be behind me.

klin: Wouldn't it be great if we knew why.

He is so much wiser--and I know He knows what is best.

connie: No, not a running post. I know the stretching is necessary. I like the analogy of life and the marathon.

valerie: It is one of my favorite quotes. Thanks.

Yvonne said...

Oops.

justrandi: I don't like stretching--AT ALL. But as mentioned, I know it's necessary.

whitney: So good to see you blogging. It is one of my favorite quotes.

mindylou: I would love to know why.

aurora: I love that quote, too. Thanks.

jess: Yeah, everyone seems to get stretched. Thanks.

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

I love that CS Lewis quote too. And I like to think of that palace as a temple.

Corrine said...

you know the old joke, whats the difference between a catholic wedding and a morning wedding?

catholic the bride is pregnant and a mormon the mother of the bride is pregnant :) love that picture of you and your grand daughter..

i always for get to stretch

Nancy Face said...

Would you believe I've NEVER heard that quote before? It's excellent!