Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What I Know Wednesday--Wisdom Is Not Based on Age

When I was 23 and joined The Church. I was so very grateful for the older women in the Ward. I loved sitting and listening to them whenever they would comment. (It was kind of like those old E F Hutton ads--you know "When E F Hutton talks, people listen". (If you're not familiar with the ad, sorry ; )

Anyway, today I think things are different. I have noticed as I have sat in Gospel Doctrine or Relief Society classes that there are some very wise young people out there. Now, this does not mean that the "older" women are not wise, but when I hear some of the comments made by younger people I realize that wisdom comes in all ages.

I believe we can always learn--and I appreciate so much the lessons I have learned from others. As I go out and read blogs, there are so many that teach me a great deal. Recently, we've had a few struggles--I appreciate those who share how they deal with everyday challenges. So often it is with laughter--I WISH I WAS BETTER AT DOING THAT ; )

A couple of things I've learned lately:
  • In July when I was in Utah I met up with Nobody for ice cream. When we were together she made a comment that has had me thinking. And it's something I really need to spend more time thinking about. She said each of us is a product of our experiences. We do things a certain way because of things that have happened in our lives. Consequently, we need to cut people some slack when they don't act the way we think they should. Thank you, Nobody--that has helped me and I've tried to stop and think about that when I've been hurt or disappointed. (And I hope others will think about that when I hurt or disappoint them)
  • The other day as I was reading CJane's blog, she posted about eating and enjoying food and not worrying about the calories, etc. And one of her commentors said, "Why would anyone want to follow a diet when the first three letters are D I E"

    Maybe I'm feeling a little nostalgic because a lot of my regular bloggers are not posting as often as they usually do--I miss their thoughts--their words of wisdom. I'll keep checking, but please, if you stop by and I haven't read a post of yours, please leave me a comment about it and I'll stop by and read your post.






  • 15 comments:

    Neal said...

    Very nice post. Isn't amazing how well some of our youth are prepared?

    ShEiLa said...

    It is like so many of our bloggy-buddies have disappeared. Sad but true. I am glad that we are still at it.

    I know I have heard many talks on being tolerant of others... everyone is at different stages of growth so I take that into consideration and hope others will not judge me too harshly.

    I love you, Yvonne. YOU are a fantastic example.

    ToOdLeS.

    ShEiLa said...

    ps. I remember the E F Hutton ads.

    Heffalump said...

    Thanks for passing some of that wisdom along!

    Sheri said...

    You are one of the most positive people I know! I think you have dealt admirably with your challenges and inspired many of us in return.
    I have thought many times how thankful I am for the older ladies in our ward and their wisdom... but like you have learned from all different ages. I think the youth of today are special spirits and so strong! Whenever my kids are making me crazy with their stubbornness, I think of my dad telling me to be thankful they are so strong willed and stubborn as they will need to be in these last days, I just need to help them direct it for good and make sure they are building testimonies along the way.

    Tonya said...

    I am still waiting for my wisdom..lol

    Chantel said...

    I too am amazed at what my children know (and they are quite young). They pick up on things so quickly and are able to feel the spirit easily.

    JustRandi said...

    I liked this post, and I'm going to have to give it some thought.
    I love listening to the women who are older than I am.

    I should probably be a little mor open about the young moms in the ward.

    Yeah, probably.

    Valerie said...

    I remember that ad!!

    I have always said when I receive a calling to serve the youth in the ward that there is something I need to learn because they always end up teaching me. It gives me comfort knowing who will be leading the church in a few years...

    Doran & Jody said...

    I also remember the E F Hutton ads.
    And I am constantly using the "Tom Bodet, we'll leave the light on for ya." saying and getting funny looks. Oh well, I know what I mean.

    I think bloggers are converting over to Facebook. FB is good for some things but I do miss the blogging-buddies funnies and inspirations too. I am also guilty of not posting much. By time I get a chance to get on, I read other blogs and then don't get around to do my own before my time runs out. And sometimes I am just brain dead. I have all these ideas in my head when I am NOT around a computer and then my "Some-timers" kicks in when I am at a computer.

    And then my youngest daughter has taken over my laptop at home for her school work. What ta do, what ta do.

    I guess I just need to post on my OWN blog first and THEN go read others.

    Keep going momma! I'm a readin' and learnin'....

    Jess said...

    I especially rely on the wisdom of others. I think Mothers in general doubt themselves way too much and worry too much. I think we just need to do our best and keep on trying.

    Corrine said...

    what sweetthoughts! you are a wise and wonderful woman! I like the diet comment!!

    Klin said...

    I really like the wisdom of CJane and Nobo that you passed on. Good stuff from great ladies.

    I've been trying to figure out my schedule as I take on clients. I LOVE being a therapist. Watching the healing is so magical. It's more hours, but I enjoy it so much.

    Melissa said...

    You're an amazing person! I love stopping in and reading your thoughts :)
    HUGS!! And thanks for the email ;)

    Nancy Face said...

    You'd think at my age I'd be pretty wise by now, but I'm really not! I'm grateful for the valuable lessons I've learned and grown from, but I have a REALLY long way to go!