Monday, September 21, 2009

Where's the Rewind Button???

We went to the temple this weekend. It was wonderful until Saturday morning--I was getting ready and wasn't sure if the curling iron was hot. Now, what do MOST PEOPLE do when they wonder??? Well let's just say most sane people don't GRAB A HOLD OF IT to see if it's hot!!!! I guess that confirms it--I'M NOT SANE. My hand hurt so bad and I thought, why in the world did you do that????

I've had many moments when I've done stupid things and wished I could push the rewind button and HAVE A DO-OVER. For example: 1) The time I was parked and was getting ready to back up so I looked behind me and no car, turned to talk to the passenger in my car and then backed up and SMASHED into the car behind me; 2) While in Texas pulled out my cell phone to see if I had missed a call, put my cell phone down on the table of the restaurant, walked out and left the phone behind--went back, no phone; and, 3) Years ago when I was walking through a hangar at the Naval Air Station where I was an employee and turned to talk to someone while continuing to walk--then BAM walked right smack dab into the wing of an airplane (passed out and had two black eyes ; )

Any of those I would love to "do over"...

I'm grateful we didn't need a rewind button for the following experience: While we were on the way to the temple we got a phone call from our son, Stephen, who started the conversation with his dad by saying, "You almost lost one of your grandchildren last night"

They live in a little community near Sacramento. Stephen and his 4 1/2 year old, Drew, were out on the driveway with the dog when Stephen began to hear a strange noise. Then it stopped. He thought, what was that. He heard it again. Suddenly he looked down at Drew who was barefoot and in shorts and right there on the ground between him and Drew was a rattlesnake. Stephen said, "Drew go in the house RIGHT NOW." Drew did immediately-- (Allan and I were both very surprised that Drew didn't argue but just did what his dad said--shall we just say, he doesn't always listen ; )

Stephen called his 15 year old to bring out a shovel and the snake went under the car. He told his wife to back the car out of the driveway. I'm laughing as I type this because Daphne reacted just like I would have--"NO WAY--I'M NOT GETTING IN THAT CAR" ; ) Finally, he convinced her because he told her he could see the snake and it was near the front, so she climbed in the back.

To make a long story short, he took the shovel to the snake and cut off it's head. It had 3 or 4 rattles. I shiver just thinking about the whole experience. But, I do have to tell you I was disappointed when I asked him if he got a picture and he said, NO.

How about you--ANY REWIND MOMENTS IN YOUR LIFE???? THERE'S NO DOUBT IN MY MIND BYU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A DO-OVER OF THEIR GAME AGAINST FLORIDA STATE!!!!!!!!


SIDENOTE: Today was my first run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute x 2--I DID IT.

20 comments:

Heffalump said...

Wow...that was a close call! I bet my kids would have wanted to look closer at the snake. Luckily we don't have rattlers where I live.

Valerie said...

Ouch!! I hope your hand heals quickly!!

My dad and bro ran into a rattler once when they were camping. They killed it and ATE it!! They swear, to this day, that it (you guessed it) TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

I'm glad little Drew is safe and sound!

Valerie said...

(BTW, congrats on the long run!!)

Natalie said...

Oh I hope your hand heal quickly. Burns hurt so much. Try using Aloe Vera. It really does help.

Oh do I ever wish we could have do-overs. I have plenty I would do over.

Congrats on your run. I'm still in awe.

aurora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aurora said...

I am so glad that he was okay! Could have been so bad...
Sorry about your hand! ouch...
xo

carolyne b said...

I had to crack up when you asked Stephen if he took pictures, only you Yvonne!!! LOL.

JustRandi said...

How Scary!
I'm so sorry about your hand. Don't you hate stuff like that?

ughh


BUT YAY for you on the run! I'm so excited for you. I love it when there is measurable success somewhere in the world!

ShEiLa said...

That was a scary snake story... you had my full attention. I am so glad everyone listened and that nobody experienced a snake bite.

I am sure I have a million things that I would like to do over... but not one is coming to mind right now.

ToOdLeS.

Klin said...

I once found a card that said "wouldn't it be nice if life was like a VCR adn we could fast forward through the crummy parts?"

I like the rewind button idea just as much. Then I might not have some of my crummy parts to wan to fast forward through.

Rattlers in Sacramento?!!! THAT is freaky scary! So glad the little guy listened. My kids would've wanted a closer look, too.

Ambrosia said...

I happened upon your blog and am so glad! I can't even begin to tell the moments I would love to rewind. Most happen because of my mouth. Words I would love to take back, that sort of thing. I am hoping as I get older I will get wiser, like you. I am so glad your grand-son and son were okay!

Connie said...

My life is FILLED with experiences I would like to delete! But then, that's how we grow, right?
Scary snake story. I don't mind snakes unless they make a rattle noise!
Do you think it was the tone of Dad's voice that made the son go into the house? I always told my children that obedience will save their lives. Here's a perfect example!
Congrats on your run! You rock!

Nobody said...

Ay yi yi! That's terrifying! What a good boy that Drew listened when it really really mattered. I laughed out loud at the image of Daphne climbing in through the back after first refusing to get in at all. That's funny. Smart too.

I know it's mean, but I kind of wish I knew you when you ran into the wing of the plane. I think I would have really enjoyed that story in real time. :)

Carrot Jello said...

I would rewind, but I wouldn't playback the same stuff.

Theresa said...

ouch ouch ouch! Thinking especially of the airplane wing - that must have been a hard one!!

(wow about the running - I should really start!!)

Sheri said...

I have way to many 'wish I could rewind moments' Hope you are okay and congrats on the run! I have to say that I would not have taken pics either!!;)

Yvonne said...

heffalump: I would want to live any where near rattlers.

valerie: My hand is doing fine.

I guess everything "taste like chicken"

Thanks.

natalie: The hand is doing fine.

Thanks.

aurora: I'm very glad, too.

carolynne: I had to ask ; )

justrandi: Agree

The running is going well and I'm loving it.

sheila: So am I ; )

As I was driving yesterday, I passed a cop with a radar gun and thought, "Oh, no, am I going to need a do-over," but fortunately I was not speeding ; )

klin: Oh I like the idea of fast-forwarding through the crummy parts ; )

I'm glad he didn't want to look.

ambrosia: Thanks so much for the comment.

Believe me my mouth has gotten me in trouble LOTS OF TIMES.

connie: That is so true--it's all part of the growing process.

I'm sure it was Stephen's tone of voice that got Drew moving.

Thanks.

nobody: Like you I laugh thinking of Daphne climbing through the car--and she would have been laughing the whole time, too.

I still have the scar between my eyes--next time I'll have to show you ; )

carrotjello: I play those things back in my mind and that's hard enough.

theresa: Yeah, the airplane wing hurt.

Thanks.

sheri: I'm doing fine. Thank you.

mindyluwho said...

Running over my son with the car and breaking his leg in two places...I'd look behind my car before backing out in my do-over!

10 minutes running! Yay!!!

Tori said...

Did he bury the head? Did he skin the snake?? The skin is really sticky on the inside. I made a walking stick for my dad and stuck a rattlesnake skin on it. It's still there 18 years later.:)
That is such a scary experience. Good for your grandson for listening!!

Nancy Face said...

YIKES! That rattlesnake episode is SOOO scary! What a blessing that Drew immediately obeyed his dad and the snake didn't strike.

Wow...you've had some pretty major rewind moments, especially getting beat up by that airplane! :0