Monday, October 5, 2009

5K and Conference

The 5K race is behind me--it was quite the adventure. At our last Running Class Thursday night, we all met at the Park and ran a 5K there. Unfortunately, it was cold and wet. After running that night, I realized I have been running a little short of 5 K. It seemed so much longer--actually I was probably running about 4.2 K. That .8 of a kilometer may not seem like much, but for some reason it took me a lot longer to run than my regular run every 2 days.

On Saturday, my race was in a city about an hour away. The race was at 9:00 a.m., and when I picked up my race kit on Thursday, I was told I should be at the race at about 8:30. Allan was in Utah, and he felt bad that he was not here to cheer me on or take pictures so he sent an e-mail to one of my friends asking her to go with me. (I hadn't asked anyone to go. A couple of friends had talked about going with me--one had to work and another had to take her daughter to a birthday party)

I was so glad Cory had gone with me. Driving out with her helped me to relax. She took lots of pictures--here are a few.

My teacher, Marilyn, also ran with me. Well, actually, she didn't run "with" me, she ran the race and when she finished she came to run with me the last little bit. IT WAS GREAT.























There were those running 5K's, 10K's, and a half-marathon.






















It was cold and at times it felt long. I kept thinking about doing a blog post and I knew I didn't want to say, I didn't finish. That kept me moving ; ) I was sure glad I had my iPod so Cold Play and Beyonce could keep me company.






















It was nice when Marilyn came back to run with me. I thought I had a long way to go but when she told me all I had to do was cross the bridge I was THRILLED. I could see the clock and knew I could possibly run under 40 minutes. I had to go a little faster the last few meters.























When I crossed the finish line, I got a medal ; )
After the race, I came home and got cleaned up to go to the Stake Center to watch Conference. I picked up Cory and off we went--we got there around noon. A few thoughts about Conference. Because I used quotation marks, I hope I have the quotes right--
  • Elder Holland's talk--Can we all say POWERFUL. I listened to it a second time. As he talked about "the mist of darkness descends on all the travelers--the faithful and the determined as well as the weaker and ungrounded ones. The principle point of the story is that the successful travelers resist all distractions." What an incredible testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. "For 179 years, this book has been examined and attacked, denied and deconstructed; targeted and torn apart like perhaps no other book in modern religious history--perhaps like no other book in any religious history and STILL IT STANDS."
  • Modern technology is wonderful--I've been able to listen to the first hour of talks I missed. I loved Elder Scott's talk. Great things I can do to improve my ability to receive personal revelation. Love the quote: "The Lord will not force you to learn. You must exercise your agency to authorize the Spirit to teach you."..."Inspiring influence of the Holy Spirit can be overcome or masked by strong emotions, such as anger, hate, passion, fear or pride. When such influences are present it is like trying to savor the delicate flavor of a grape while eating a jalapeno pepper--both flavors are present, but one completely overpowers the other."
  • Didn't you LOVE the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Come, Come Ye Saints". Wow, I don't know who did the arrangement, but it was AMAZING.
  • Speaking of the music, Kyle had an assignment in his Book of Mormon class to write about one of the talks on the atonement. Near the end of "O Divine Redeemer", I texted him that he would not hear a better sermon on the atonement then that hymn.
  • Didn't you love Bishop Burton's "ity" virtues. "Integrity is the mother of many virtues."
  • Elder Christoferson: "Mere wanting is hardly a proper guide for moral conduct."
  • Didn't you love when Pres. Monson speaking on service asked, "How often have you intended to be the one to help yet how often has day to day living interfered and you left it for others to help." He said that if we were to step backward and take a good look at what we are doing we may find that we have, in fact, "Immersed ourselves in the thick of thin things."
  • I was so comforted by Pres. Eyring's comments about wandering children.
  • Elder Nelson-"Patience and perseverance are part of our eternal progression".
  • I was so caught up in everything Elder Renlund's said about the mighty change of heart--I need to go back and take notes. I loved the idea that i need to frequently biopsy my heart.
  • I did laugh when Elder Bednar talked about expressing love and then bearing testmony to our spouse and children. Within a few minutes I received text messages from Allan, Heidi and Brent telling me they loved me and that they knew the Church is true ; )
  • I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's comment that "God didn't give us this great commandment because He needs us to love Him, but oh how we need to love Him."
I really didn't want to make this too long, but there were so many wonderful things. Now it's time to ponder and apply.




25 comments:

txmommy said...

Great JOB!!!!

I loved Conference too! Good notes :) I can't wait to dig in more and apply as well.

ShEiLa said...

I am so glad you posted pics of the race... love seeing the actual event.

Thanks for the conference re-cap.
With my miserable teething grand-girl we missed so much attending to her. With your notes I will go right to things I missed when the Ensign gets here.

ToOdLeS.

vanessa said...

Loved reading your notes on conference :)

aurora said...

I loved Conference!! Wow. I need to record my faves. I loved the "...immersed in the thick of thin things" Wow. That talked to me.

(better get off of the blogs) haha

Theresa said...

LOL! the text messages during elder Bednar's talk - your family is very coordinated! :D

Heffalump said...

Congratulations on your 5K!
Conference was wonderful as always. We watched at home, and I am not sure my boys got much of it, so we have a plan to pick a talk and listen to it each Sunday as a family until we have done them all. I think my kids will find it easier to pay close attention for ten or fifteen minutes than for two hours at a time. We will start out with talks by Apostles and the First Presidency and go from there.

Lauren said...

I am so proud of you doing a 5k! And yay for a medal!

I loved conference...it was just what I needed right now.

carolyne b said...

you mentioned your race was an hour away, where did you go? I missed most of conference as the little guy woke up Saturday sick. thanks for letting me know some of the talks that were given and you inspired you. I did however see Bishop Burtons' talk on ITY's. I was great.

Tori said...

CONGRATS on your 5k!!! Way to go!!!

I loved conference- what I saw of it. The flu really kicked my butt so I fell asleep a lot. But I have been watching talks online to catch up. Elder Holland ROCKED!! Sooo strong. And I just love our prophet.

Sheri said...

I am amazed how great you looked at the endof the race!! I think I wouldhave been crawling half way through!! So proudof you!!
I have all the conference talks recorded on my DVR and plan to review them often as I thought they all were so good! I agree with you on the "Oh Divine Redeemer" It was so powerful and touching to me especially as it is one I hear my Dad sing often. THen having it followed by Elder Holland - WOW!
As you know,going into it I didn't have the best frame of mind - thanks for your encouraging word and your prayers! I am so glad to call you a friend! Thank you!

Chantel said...

Amazing run. Congratulations on running it and finishing it. I too loved conference. The talks were so powerful. I really loved Elder Hollands talk. What a strong testimony.

sweetpea said...

Way to go!! You looked great, even after finishing the race.

Conference was wonderful--I enjoyed reading your notes.

JustRandi said...

You are amazing!! I'm so proud of you - and someday we'll have to share running playlists!!

Connie said...

You looked absolutely powerful in the pictures running the race! Where is your red face at the end? My face is red for hours after a 5K. I'm greatly impressed.
I'm also impressed with your note taking! I LOVE conference! Those talks are always meant for me!

Congratulations again on your run!

Heidi said...

You rock mom!!! You are sooooo amazing!!! I love that you never gave up and believed in yourself!!! I am sad I could not be there to cheer you on, but I was definitely clapping and cheering here...maybe you heard me;p I sure love ya and am proud of you!!!

Mel said...

Congrats on the race! Conference was great... I can't wait to go back and read those talks.

Ashley said...

So awesome, you did it!!! Hooray!! I am happy to see you posted pics. Conference was wonderful. It is so weird but I always feel the talks were meant for me. I really enjoyed listening.

Lei said...

Yvonee - i am so proud of you! Way to go! And I have had tons of thoughts regarding conf. and am trying to pare down which to blog about myself!

Cherie said...

Hello there and I am so glad you came to visit my blog so that I could find yours! Love the picture on your side bar of your big, awesome family - I definately know why you are one happy mama!!

I love all of your conference thoughts. I love that your kids texted you during Elder Bednars talk - mine did too! So neat!! And great to know they were listening - ha ha.

I am totally impressed with your running - Yayyy for you and Congratulations :D

Yvonne said...

txmommy: I loved running the race.

I will enjoy studying all the talks, too.

sheila: Thanks.

You will enjoy Conference.

vanessa: Thanks for stopping.

aurora: I kept thinking I need to spend less time on the computer ; )

theresa: It was fun to get the texts.

heffalump; Thanks--I loved running the race.

I think that is a great way to study conference. Good job.

lauren: The medal was given to everyone who participated--I was thrilled anyway.

I felt the same way about Conference--I really needed the messages, too.

carolynne: The race was in Portage. Sorry about the sick little guy.

tori: Thanks--it felt so good to run the race.

Sorry you have been so sick. I love Pres. Monson, too.

sheri: I was shocked that my face didn't look redder--I was hot and tired.

The talks were so wonderful. They were such a help to me--something I needed.

I feel the same way about your being my friend--thank you. E-mail me ANYTIME.

chantel: Thanks.

The talks were just incredible. I'm excited about really studying them.

sweetpea: Thanks.

Conference was wonderful, eh?

justrandi: I'm sure my playlist will seem boring to you.

connie: I was surprised--maybe having a red shirt on helped--I'm sure if I was wearing a white shirt it would have looked REALLY RED ; )

heidi: I felt your love and support. Thanks, honey.

mel: Thanks. I don't know how you run as far as you do.

I feel the same way about the talks.

ashley: Thanks--I feel so good about doing it.

The talks were amazing.

lei: Thanks.

I'll look forward to reading what you write.

cherie: Thanks for coming to leave a comment.

I'm grateful for my family--they make me so happy.

I was glad my kids were listening to. It is so fun to watch them grow up. I love being a mom.

Ambrosia said...

Excellent running! I LOVE how you listen to Beyonce and Coldplay. Essentials in exercise for sure. Thanks for the Conference notes, I loved it this year!

Valerie said...

You are awesome!! Loved the pics of the race!! Will you do another?

I haven't had a chance to watch Conference yet. We tried to listen as we travelled through Utah, but Inigo sat in the car and chatted the entire way...

Nancy Face said...

I'm glad you have pictures of your race! Such an accomplishment! :)

I loved all the things you mentioned about Conference. It was just marvelous!

Tonya said...

Way to go Yvonne! I am so proud of you for setting a goal and accomplishing it.

I loved so much of conference too!

mindyluwho said...

Yvonne! I'm so impressed with your accomplishment! I'm all inspired now!

I loved, loved, loved Elder Hollands talk. I've listened to it twice now and probably will many times. I also loved Elder Bednar's talk. It made me feel that I'm not doing so bad if an apostle can admit that his kids weren't perfect!