Friday, October 9, 2009

Blogging vs. Facebook

I have been giving this a lot of thought.

Some of the things I like about facebook:

My kids and some of my grandkids are on and it's fun to see what they're up to.

I have gotten to reconnect with a lot of old friends.

The quick status updates--although I'm rarely clever like so many. I get tired of writing the same thing, but there's not much more to write about and I've almost resorted to--"Just had a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich"

The biggest thing I don't like about facebook:

The many status updates. It makes me feel like I have to get on all the time--you know that old, afraid I might miss something.

Commenting--no, it's not that I don't like to comment, it's just that I feel bad because I miss things people say and obviously can't comment. I know I don't have to comment on everything, but I feel bad when I don't. I have been trying to figure out why I'm like that and I have come up with an answer: Ever since I was in high school and would go to football games it didn't matter what the score was, I was right there cheering--even if my team was down 28 - 0 with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter and the other team had the ball--if the cheerleaders got up to do "Push 'em back, push 'em back, way back"--I was cheering.

With blogging when someone posts I get notification and I read their blog and most of the time I comment--now don't blast me if I haven't commented on every one of your posts, I've tried. I'm sure I've missed one or two. There are some that aren't in my google reader so please if I've missed your posts, let me know. Sometimes I start to think it's about reciprocity, but I know better. I read blogs where the people rarely come comment on my blog and that's o.k. I love their blog and will continue to read and comment. I have family members who read and don't comment but most of them usually tell me they read it when they e-mail me.

I love to celebrate people's accomplishments and encourage them when they're down. That must be that cheerleader in me. But at the same time, I think we're all in this together.

By the way, go by and leave a comment on my friend, justrandi's blog. It's her birthday, but you can't wish her a Happy Birthday.

And speaking of birthdays, tomorrow my wonderful grandson, Brandon, will be celebrating his 15th birthday. He is such a great young man. He has such a tender heart. Here's a picture of B with his cousin, brother, and two uncles ; )

Sidenote: The weather here is definitely changing. We had snow flurries yesterday and it has been so cold when I have been out running. The other day when Allan went out on the deck to barbeque this little guy was in the bushes for a little something to eat.


20 comments:

carolyne b said...

I too have thought about blogging vs facebook and I have to say Yvonne I would miss it if you didn't blog anymore. A young woman had a great experience blogging that actually lead to a job. "visible voice".
I quite often read some of the blogger friends you have. Some are downright funny. Nancy Face and her daughter. LOL.
take care have a great weekend.

Doran & Jody said...

Happy birthday Brandon!!

I have mentioned it on my FB that I am taking a break. I feel like I need to be on there ALL the time if I am to keep up on what's going on...but it really is a waste of my time with some of the status'.

Then that leaves little or no time for what I really SHOULD be doing.

So...I am back to blogging instead. My family would rather me write about what's going on with us instead of reading who had a samich on FB.

I also don't expect comments for every post I make or even at all if they don't want to. But when I would leave 6 thousand comments for others and never hearing anything back from them....that's when I felt I was stalking them. Soooo I am still in the process of cleaning out my blog roll.

Nuff said....
I will continue to visit YOU though.

JustRandi said...

Yvonne, you crack me up! And thanks for the link and the Bday wishes!!

I've been thinking a lot about blogging and facebook, too. I love fb for quick updates... if they're interesting. But all those "I just made a sandwich" updates have got to go! You're right about that!!

ShEiLa said...

Facebook is not as wonderful as blogging is for me. I can relate to your post.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday to Brandon.

I don't really know what I think about blogger vs facebook either. For me blogging is my journal and I really enjoy it. I enjoy reading other people's blogs too. I don't get too many comments and sometimes I wonder what people think, but that's okay. I love getting your comments.
I like to look at facebook once in a while to see what people are up to, but I don't have all that much time to make comments myself.
I hope you never give up blogging. You are a great writer and I love reading what you have to say.

Sheri said...

Facebook is for the frivolous, blogging is for more in depth reflection for me. I love reading blogs.. especially yours!! I love the quick look on facebook... but if I had to choose - hmmm?

Heffalump said...

Facebook is kind of like those novels you read just for fluff. I like it, and it's fun, and you can put it aside easily because it isn't too engrossing.
Blogs are like books you can't stop reading. For me at least. I like them both, but if I had to choose I would choose blogging. Status updates just aren't that in depth.

Cherie said...

I'm a cheerleader too but definately a blogging cheerleader.
I am not a Facebook person at all because to me it seems like a waste of time.
If I am going to take the time on my computer to write down what I am doing or what my family is doing DANG it is going to go into a book and be a journal - Something my great grandchildren can read.
Love the deer - How fun that it came into your yard!
I am off to wish Randi a HB!

Connie said...

I don't have a facebook account and my kids keep telling me to get one but I don't have a desire. My blog is my thoughts and journal. I don't know why I like comments on my blog but I'm kind of disappointed when I don't get many. I guess I need to be validated.
Great picture of the deer. What a surprise to see that in the yard!

mindyluwho said...

I feel lost in the crowd on Facebook. It's like being at a party, everyone's talking at once and I'm only getting a portion of the conversation. It's fun, but I don't get on often enough to participate fully.

Blogging I like because I can relate to each person one at a time. That's more my style. And you're one of my favorite bloggers!

Tori said...

There's things I love about FB but it's just not the same as blogging. I have been the lamest commenter ever. But I love you Yvonne- you know that, I hope.

Klin said...

I want a peanut butter sandwich now.

I am glad you blog. I love reading your posts. I have great posts in mind while driving and as I'm going to sleep. But in front of the computer I'm blank. Frustrates me sometimes.

I'll be posting about an upcoming trip soon. That'll be new and fun.

Carrot Jello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

It's funny because I'm less inclined to blog these days because of FB. Everything I saw can usually be shared in a quick status update!

aubrey said...

happy birthday, brandon!

i love facebook for it's simplicity..how you can blow through it in a few minutes and see what everyone is doing and comment or not. it's like mini-blogging.

i say this because blog visiting has mostly gone by the wayside with me...what with three children, a new home and homeschooling. it's just not as easy or worthwhile to spend an hour or two a day going around to blogs. better to be with the family. be present.

Tonya said...

I like both of them for different reasons that are the same or very familiar to what you said.

I hope you keep doing both :o)

Yvonne said...

carolyne: I'm glad you read some of my blogging buds--leave a comment and let them know you read. They'd love it.

jody Like I said, for me I feel I need to be on FB al the time--that's why it's hard.

I'm glad you'll keep visiting.

justrandi: I don't really care if someone wants to put "I just had a sandwich" I just don't like trying to figure out an interesting status.

sheila: It's just different.

natalie: My blog is my journal, too--well, at actually I have another journal, but sometimes I forget to write and I use my blog to remember what I did.

I find FB just takes too much time.

sheri: They are both different, aren't they.

heffalump: Beautifully said. I agree.

cherie: You are a very positive person. I'm sure your blog/journal will be great for your posterity to read.

connie: I love the comments, too. They mean a lot.

mindylou: That is such a great analogy. There is so much going on on facebook.

I think blogging is more my style, too.

tori: I love you, too.

klin: I probably don't put enough thought into my posts, but it's me.

Can't wait to read about your trip.

amber: I guess I'm not a woman of few words--it takes me many to saw very little ; )

I hope you don't stop blogging.

aubrey: Maybe it's not that time consuming for me to visit blogs because I don't visit that many--people aren't posting as much as they used to.

I can understand how difficult it would be with all you have going on--I have no children at home, so I have a lot more time.

tonya: I will not stop either, however, I will not spend as much time on FB as before.

PJ said...

I like them both:)

I don't know what I'd do if YOU stopped blogging, so I am personally glad blogging is more for you :D

Chelli said...

You know how I feel about the two. Now that I'm back on FB I'm finding myself slipping into old bad habits. But next time I decide to take a break (and it will probably be soon), I'm not telling anyone. I'm just going to quietly go away!
Please keep blogging!

Nancy Face said...

I have absolutely no idea how I'd feel about facebook, because I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to set up a facebook account! The last thing I need is to add MORE computer time wasting to my life, haha! :)

I love blogging! I like focusing on one person at a time, and I enjoy the commenting back and forth. :)

I can't stand running when it gets cold enough to make my ears ache. You're so dedicated!

I love staying at my in-laws' cabin up in the mountains because deer come onto the property! I love seeing them! :)