Monday, October 19, 2009

From My Memory Journal

I have this fun little memory journal that I bought years ago--"Grandma Tell Me Your Memories". I decided to share one of my answers--it was to the question: Did you ever pretend to be sick as an excuse to stay home from school?

First of all, NO. I NEVER DID. I LOVED SCHOOL. When we went to live with Helen and Les after my folks died, I remember Helen telling me I could pick a day when I wanted to stay home. I was like--WHY???

Now, as far as my sisters--that's a whole other story. And I think Helen had a very clever way of dealing with cutting school or being suspended. (No, not me...) When one of my sisters (and I won't tell which one) got suspended for three days for fighting, she didn't get to sleep all day those three days. No, she had to get up and shower and get ready for school and be ON TIME. Helen had her class schedule and she would have to sit at the kitchen table and "go to each class" so to speak--Do the work, read the assignments, whatever. As I look back I think she was a very wise woman.

So, how about it--did you ever pretend to be sick as an excuse to stay home from school?

Sidenote #1: We have been very busy doing some organizing. I finally hung all of my tablecloths in the closet. I love it. Now I just need to organize them by season or color.

Allan has been busy building/putting together: a TV stand for the TV in the basement--it looks great; and another unit to help me put some things away. He sure is handy to have around; )

Sidenote #2: FB warning. The other day I was on FB and saw Kyle had posted something about earning $140 on-line and it gave a web address. I was confused and commented "What are you doing????" I decided to call him and ask him about it--he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He realized someone had gotten his password and posted it.

But being the brilliant computer person I am, I clicked on the link--CAN WE ALL SAY DUMB!!! Sure glad I have a MAC. Anyway, just a warning--don't click on those links.

Sidenote #3: I've decided to just read e-mails on Sunday--no reading FB or blogs. That gave me a whole lot of time to work on Genealogy--I'm so excited about all the info I'm finding. I'll have to try and get caught up reading blogs and facebook this morning after my run and my RS meeting.

17 comments:

aurora said...

Yes I have! Shocking, isn't it?? ;-)

Brent said...

I never pretended to be sick, but when I stayed home, it was because I was really sick.

Heffalump said...

I don't remember pretending to be sick in order to stay home, but I did occasionally pretend I didn't feel well during school to get out of class. Yes, I was a bad girl!

Natalie said...

My friend and I once stayed home from high school. We were so scared that all we did was sit on the couch and talk and wait for the school to call.
Don't really know why we did it. We both loved school. I guess it was jut something to do.

carolyne b said...

I was like you Yvonne, i loved school so I did not skip school, however I have a sister who was in the same home room as me and quite often would cut class.I don't know how many teachers would ask how my sister was feeling, and I lied and said she was sick.

Valerie said...

I did fake sick one time. It was a traumatic time in 8th grade. You've inspired me.... I think maybe I will blog that story myself. If I can get the courage!

PJ said...

I had a bad case of "senior-ites" my last year of school, and my Mom was a pushover. So...yes!

Thanks for the warning about the FB thing, scary.

Tori said...

I just skipped- forget pretending to be sick!

I noticed my little niece had supposedly posted something about a great colon cleanse on several family members FB pages. Yep- she got hacked.

Ambrosia said...

Yes and no. I have always struggled with horrible stomach cramps when I am stressed. I don't handle stress well, and I had plenty to deal with. In middle school, I had many episodes of stomach cramps. Most of the time they were real, but I did have a few fake episodes. My mother was sweet and pretended to think I really was sick. I was an excellent student, so she didn't have to worry about my grades.

Connie said...

There were times I really could have gone to school but said I was sick. Then there were days I really should have stayed home because I was sick and went. Does that cancel out each other?
Scary about your son's FB!

Doran & Jody said...

Uh...pretend to be sick? On to another subject...

Great ideas you have. You are so ambicious. Hang your table cloths? Uh...I don't even know if I have one. Oh ya I do. I wonder where it is.

Since I have gone a wall on FB, I have had less stress.

WHEN I get to BORROW my computer from my college student I do try to read some blogs but working on Geneology sounds like a good idea.

I had to quit reading my novels and do more scripture and Ensign reading on Sundays. That was a good change.

You do have good ideas. Keep them coming.

ShEiLa said...

My sister and her family restrict themselves from the computer all day Sunday...

I bet you are enjoying Family History... I have sure enjoyed it.
Although I have never had an offical calling... extraction, etc.

ToOdLeS.

mindyluwho said...

Guilty! I loved to read, so I would pretend to be sick and stay home and read all day! So, I guess, at least I was still learning!

My mom did finally take me to the doctor to see what was wrong. I knew they wouldn't find anything!

JustRandi said...

This makes me laugh.
I was never a school ditcher, but only because I dreaded making up the work more than I dreaded going to school. I went to school more than once sick, just so I didn't have to make up work!!

Tonya said...

You too are adorable!! Happy late Anniversary.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some pics :).

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how we as human beings are so hooked onto electronics. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of copying our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4[/url] DS Qezv2)