Monday, October 12, 2009

HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING


(Just a picture of what the trees should look like right now--this picture was taken October 4, 2006, ha, ha, no way could I get one similar this year)

Canadian Thanksgiving holds a special place in my heart--BUT IT'S NOT A POSITIVE ONE. We have had one home break-in and it happened on Canadian Thanksgiving about 16 years ago. We were in bed and we heard a noise downstairs. Allan got up and turned on the light and headed down the stairs. As soon as he turned the lights on we heard footsteps and In our kitchen we found our sliding glass door off the runner and it was sitting INSIDE the kitchen. I called 911 and the police came VERY QUICKLY. It was very creepy.

So on Friday when we headed out of town to go to the temple NO WAY IN THE WORLD WAS I WRITING ON FACEBOOK OR ON MY BLOG THAT WE WERE GOING OUT OF TOWN. I wanted so bad to write about it because the drive was HORRIBLE--snow, snow, and more snow. I couldn't believe it--we figured we were going to have a lovely drive. (And BTW, there is no way the trees look like the above photo anymore) The airport in Winnipeg was closed on the 10th--they rarely do that IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER.

The temple was lovely. (This is a picture taken when we attended in August) We were there Friday night and Saturday morning. Besides doing some sessions, we were able to attend the sealing of a family in our Stake. It is always so touching to me when the children are brought in. Memories of the Hawaii temple in 2006 when Stephen and Daphne and their 5 children were sealed--I thought I'd lose it when they brought baby Drew into the room.

In the afternoon we went to a devotional in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the temple. So many memories. Each of the Temple Presidents and their wives spoke. It was wonderful. Just a little trivia--The temple was dedicated on Sunday, November 14, 1999 by Elder Packer. It is the first time two temples were dedicated on the same day--the other temple was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, by Pres. Hinckley. I have wonderful memories of the dedicationl--Kyle had just turned 8 so the three kids were there with us. We were so excited about having a temple so close.

Weather aside, the drive is so much easier to do than when we first started going 10 years ago when the majority of the road was just a 2-lane highway. There were times Allan wouldn't be able to go, and I would drive my van along with a few other youth leaders driving theirs. I never liked driving at night--I always worried about animals crossing the road when it was dark. Fortunately, we never had a problem.

We headed to Brandon and spent the night there--Allan had some Church stuff to take care of on Sunday, so we attended the Ward there. It was great.

Today we are going to spend the holiday cleaning and throwing things out. (One of Allan's favorite things to do) Because we haven't invited anyone over for Thanksgiving and it would just be the two of us, we are going out to have Thanksgiving dinner out--THAT'S A FIRST ; )

SIDENOTE: Last night Allan and I watched a DVD called "Forever Strong"--if you haven't seen it, rent it. It's about the Highland Rugby team.





19 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds like you had a great time... even though the drive was horrible! I always love to go to the temple. Such peace...

We loved Forever Strong so much that we bought it :)

Melissa said...

Wait... I was first? WOOOHOOOOOO!! And I forgot to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving... so...um... Happy Thanksgiving!!

sweetpea said...

I would be so scared if that happened to me--it's one of my worst nightmares.

I'm glad you had such a great time, even though the drive wasn't the best.

And...Happy Thanksgiving!

Heffalump said...

Having your house broken into is no fun! It would be so hard to feel safe after that!
I'm glad you were able to go to the temple. We really need to go more often.
Happy Thanksgiving late!

PJ said...

Fall is such a treat for the eyes!

Happy you were able to attend the Temple.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sheri said...

Happy Thanksgiving! No clean up after.. that is something to be thankful for!! Sorry about the snow!! It seems Fall has taken a leave of absents this year. (no pun inteneded!)

Natalie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I loved Forever Strong too.

Going out will be fun. Enjoy!

txmommy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I guess I should stop complaining about my drive to the temple :)

Klin said...

I thought of you when I saw the day. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

I love love love Forever Strong.

Ambrosia said...

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving! What a horrible memory for a wonderful day! I totally understand your fear of telling the whole wide web that you are leaving town. I try and avoid that as much as possible.
BTW, I read your previous post yesterday. I so wanted to comment, but I didn't have the time. So, I will comment here! Thank you for being so thoughtful about comments. Facebook can be difficult. I haven't updated mine in months. Blogs I understand. I, like you, try and comment on other people's blogs, even if they don't ever comment on mine. I figure, they probably want to know someone is reading what they write.
I really appreciate that you comment on my blog. It means so much to me!
P.S. You rock! 7 kids!!?!? Awesome!

Connie said...

I have always thougt the Canadians had the right idea to have Thanksgiving in October when we can take better advantage of the harvest.
I can't imagine having someone break into my house. I would definitely feel violated!
So glad you were able to go to the temple.
I'm kind of jealous of you being able to relax on Thanksgiving with no worries of having company. And to eat out? Wow! Hope it went well.

mindyluwho said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love autumn. It is the best time of the year.

What a beautiful temple. I haven't been in a while. I am feeling it too.

Nancy Face said...

That picture of the trees is stunning...I could happily sit and stare at such a scene for hours!

Last Thanksgiving Zach's bike got stolen. That's NOTHING like having intruders in the house, EEEK!

I need to rent that movie! Hope you had a great dinner! :)

Chantel said...

I am glad to hear you got home safely. I was wondering how the drive home was for you. Wasn't the devotional amazing? It brought back so many memories for me and all the changes that have happened in the past 10 years.

Doran & Jody said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip!

And I am so with you on posting (doesn't matter where) when we will be leaving town or "going" somewhere, even though one of the girls will still be there.

I would rather post when I get home and what I did.

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. Now head back to the states and you can celebrate it again in a couple of weeks.

Tonya said...

Happy late Thanksgiving!!

I can't imagine how scary that must have been to have someone invade your space like that.

The temple trip sounds just amazing.

ShEiLa said...

I am a bit late wishing you a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. I have been a bit busy... sorry.

Also I saw Forever Strong... a couple of times now and I loved it. Certainly an uplifting movie.

ToOdLeS.

Yvonne said...

melissa: We did have a great time. I've got to see if I can find Forever Strong.

Thanks.

sweetpea: It is an awful feeling.

Thanks.

heffalump: It took me a long time to feel safe in that house.

It was a great trip.

Thanks.

pj: Thanks. I love fall, too.

The temple was fabulous.

sheri: No dishes to clean up after was THE BEST PART. The food was pretty good, too.

natalie: thanks.

It was a really good movie.

txmommy: Thanks. I know whenever I hear about those who sell everything and then drive or take a bus for a couple of days to go to the temple, I realize my little drive IS NOTHING.

klin: Thanks. Hope you're having a great time.

ambrosia: Thanks for your comment and the Thanksgiving wishes.

connie: The best part of being an American living in Canada--we get two Thanksgivings because we celebrate both. We will feed the missionaries on American Thanksgiving because not many other people will have turkey and all the trimmings that day.

Yes, it was a creepy feeling.

mindylou: Thanks. I love Autumn, too.

It is a beautiful temple. I love all the temples, but there is something special about the small ones.

nancyface: I wish it had gotten like that this year.

Sorry about Zach's bike--that would be very annoying.

Rent the movie and let me know what you think.

Dinner was delicious and no clean up BONUS!!!!

chantel: Thanks--the trip home wasn't bad--nothing like the trip out; )

Yes, the devotional was incredible. The speakers were fabulous and I LOVED THE MUSIC.

jody: Yeah, there are times I post about where I'm going, but I just couldn't because of the memory of the break-in.

And we will celebrate again.

tonya: Thank you.

The temple was great.

sheila: No problem--thanks.

It really is an uplifting movie.

Cherie said...

Loved reading about your wonderful trip to the Temple - even if the roads were a little snowy - such a beautiful thing.

I LOVE Forever Strong - a great movie with a great message.