Friday, October 23, 2009

HAS IT BEEN 27 YEARS???


August 17th I did an anniversary post, but today is our 27th Wedding Anniversary. Last year I posted 26 reasons why I love this guy. All of those reasons still apply. But today in honor of our 27 years, I present 27 of my favorite moments:

1. This has to be #1--being sealed in the temple. I still remember that day like it was yesterday--we were a FOREVER FAMILY. When all of the kids came into the temple and Stephen was sealed to us, it was a moment I will NEVER forget. Family dynamics are not always easy, but they are definitely worth the effort.

2. Our honeymoon--ever since we started dating, we didn't have much time alone. When you are dating and have 4 children it is tough to find those moments, so when we headed off to Hawaii and we were alone, it was such a treat. One of his memories of our honeymoon (not a favorite memory ; ) is when I got sick and he was so attentive, but I wasn't used to that so I sent him away. Off he went to Pizza Hut where he had to fight off a GIGANTIC cockroach ; )

3. Each time he would hold one of our newborn babies--he is so big and to see the tenderness and love in his eyes just melts my heart. Of course, having him in the delivery room was always so comforting. (No picture because SERIOUSLY which one do you use ; )

4. Watching him with his mom and dad through the years. He has always referred to his mom as his "Angel Mother". I love the advice to young people while they are dating to watch how their love interest treats his/her parents and their siblings. Allan was always so concerned for his parents and still shows that kind of love and concern for his sisters.

5. The day he was issued the call to be SP. He came home after he had been interviewed by the GA, and we were talking about the experience when he got a call from the SP asking us to come to the Stake Center. We sat there crying. We assumed he was being called as a Counselor. Allan said, "When we get there, look for the man who is white in the face--he will be the new SP". Little did we know...

It has been a great experience for him, and I have loved watching and supporting him while he has served.

6. In December 2000 when he and his sisters were sealed to his mom (and dad) at the Mt. Timpanogos Temple. Oh, what a precious moment.

7. Another favorite moment when our first grandchild, Chris, was born. We were in Hawaii and we were so excited to come home and meet him. It was exciting to be Grandparents.

8. When Brent got his mission call to Tempe Arizona. Well, actually the whole mission experience was such a wonderful time for us. I know for Allan it was so great to share with Brent many of his own mission experiences. He's looking forward to doing the same thing when Kyle goes on his mission.

9. Our trip to Disneyworld with all the kids/grandkids Christmas 1992. What a blast. A trip I will never forget. Family means everything to him and to see all of us so happy just made him beam.

10. In 2002 we had another family reunion--this was one was in Park City, Utah. We had such a great time being at the condos together. He is such a fun dad and grandpa--the kids always have such a great time with him.

11. Although this wasn't a fun moment--I learned so much about the kind of man he is. In 1989, he was offered a job to run a trucking company in Charlotte, NC. We put our house in So. California up for sale and made the big move across the U.S. (My first experience living outside of California) HIs first day at work he was told by the CFO that the company owed millions of dollars in back taxes to the IRS--which meant more than likely it wouldn't survive--and it didn't. When he came home and told me I wanted to just stop packing and move back to California. Nope we made the most of it--he didn't get discouraged he just worked as hard as he could and smiled through it all. It ended up being a great move--we got great help for Brent and it led to better opportunities for him.

12. The first time we visited New York was such a treat. We were visiting a cousin of his--for me going to Yankee Stadium was so exciting. We saw all the touristy things and it was so fun to share those great moments TOGETHER.

13. In July 1983 we visited Europe for the first time. His good friend, Doc C. was serving as MP in Paris, and we decided to go see them. We started dating after they left to go to France, so to be together and spend time with them was such a treat. One of my favorite moments of that trip was when we were in Zermatt--near the base of the Matterhorn. Early one morning we heard all this noise and Allan went running out onto the deck of our hotel room and there were all these goats running through the town. He was so excited--the look on his face was PRICELESS.

14. When Allan was Bishop of our YSA Ward we all took a trip to Nauvoo. It was amazing. These are some great Young Adults and many of them still live in our Stake and it's always fun to see them. We went down in several vans and spent a few days there--certainly a great memory. The highlight was going to the Nauvoo Temple.

15. His 60th surprise birthday, when he came home from work and all the kids and grandkids came out of our room yelling SURPRISE. What a moment ; ) I still can't believe I pulled it all together without him knowing a thing. Making all those reservations and paying for it without him figuring it out was a real challenge.

16. In May he had the opportunity to perform the marriage of our Grandson, Chris to Heather. I loved listening him as he gave them marriage advice during the ceremony. I loved that I knew he was talking from experience--he doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk.

17. Our excitement when we went on our first cruise. I think both of us kept looking at each other thinking ARE WE REALLY HERE????

18. This is another one that's hard to explain. For a number of years Allan would go walking. Anyone who has ever walked with him can verify he walks VERY FAST. In 2007 after his heart problem and his surgery to have the stent, he and I took the trip to Utah. The first morning after we arrived he wanted to go out walking. I told him I had to go with him and we headed over to the track at the school. I was very nervous and didn't want him to get very far ahead of me, so I jogged to stay near. He started walking even faster and I had to pour it on and finally was really panting to keep up. Come to find out because I was staying right up with him he figured he had really slowed down so just kept going faster and faster. Luckily both of us SURVIVED.

19. When Kyle won the Provincial Track Championship for the long jump It was so exciting--Allan had worked hard coaching him and they were both so excited.

20. Now, this one was before we were married or even ever dated--it was the first time I heard him speak about an experience when he was a Deacon and was on an outing with the AP in his ward. Even though his dad had not been active since he was a teenager, he let the ward use one of his busses on the outing. The Ward used a bus driver (not one of his dad's), and the driver wasn't familiar with the bus and did something wrong and the bus broke down. When these Deacons got bored waiting for another bus to come and pick them up, they took out pocketknives and began cutting the seats on the bus. Allan was so mad and wanted the Bishop to do something to these boys. I think their punishment was THEY HAD TO APOLOGIZE. When Allan talk about his dad and his forgiving nature, the love and respect Allan has for him was so evdient.

21. Every time I watch him as we struggle with a challenge in our lives--no, the struggles are not a favorite moment, but the way he handles them is such a lesson to me. He has such faith. When you see him, you'd never know he has a care in the world--he is the most positive person I know. One of the many things I love about him.

22. General Conference--Whenever we have the chance to be at General Conference is a favorite for me, but the first year I went with him holds a special place. I was baptized the day Pres. Kimball was sustained in General Conference--April 6, 1974, so he has always been "my Prophet". I was thrilled to be in the tabernacle in Oct. 1982 Conference and will never forget when Pres. Kimball walked in and we all stood and sang "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet".

23. A few years ago our Ward was assigned to be the cast in our Nativity Pageant. I was serving in YW at the time and we needed some extra Shepherds--thanks to some great make-up artists, I was transformed into a shepherd. (The weekend of our first performance, Allan had scheduled a trip to the temple for 3 of the YSA who were leaving three weeks later for missions so he missed the first night's performance. When he returned home and came to The Forks (no, not that Forks ; ) he came looking for me. I will never forget the look on his face when he looked over at what he thought was an "awfully friendly shepherd ; ) Here is a shot of Kyle and me.

24. Going to the NCAA March Madness tournament last year. We are huge college BB fans and driving to Minneapolis last year and attending a couple of the games was A BLAST. Some day we will go to a Championship game.

25. The first time he took me to Herrington's (a place we love to go)--it's a place at the base of the Sierra's. It has great memories for his family and now ours. We went with Stephen (and a friend) and Neal, and Allan's parents and one of his sisters. One evening Allan had taken me for a drive, and when we got back and he went into the room with the boy, he was surprised to find Stephen and his friend had left Allan the cot and they were in the "big" bed. It was late and Allan being the nice guy decided to climb onto the cot which proceeded to collapse. He could hear the boys laughing in bed ; )

26. Last year being on the Great Wall was incredible. Our whole China trip was AMAZING. And then when we were on the Great Wall, we were stopped by this sweet couple who wanted a picture with him.

I smile every time I think of visiting with these sweet children on the ferry in Japan. They loved trying their English and were so helpful and sweet as we tried speaking Japanese.



















And then when we were on the Great Wall, we were stopped by this sweet couple who wanted a picture with him.


















27. Our trip to Hawaii to celebrate his mom's 90th birthday. What a great moment for all of us. He worked so hard to plan the whole thing and for all of us it is a trip we will never forget. Little did we know it would be her last birthday.

I HAVE AN AMAZING HUSBAND and a great family.

Happy Anniversary, honey. Can't wait to celebrate when you get home. I love you.

I'm reminded of Pres. Eyring's talk at General Conference where he suggest we "Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes the weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion's joys your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion." SUCH FABULOUS COUNSEL.


20 comments:

txmommy said...

what awesome memories!! Thanks for sharing them :)

Neal said...

Cool post!

aurora said...

Yvonne, those are such wonderful memories! What a fabulous life you have together. You are my inspiration.
Happiest of Anniversaries to you both! xo

Nancy Face said...

HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :D

Such a great post! I love seeing the pictures and reading about your wonderful memories! I especially enjoyed the part where your hubby was called as Stake President. :)

Natalie said...

Congratulations on your anniversary.
What a wonderful post with great memories.
You two are an awesome couple living a wonderful, exemplary life.
Hugs!

Sheri said...

What a great life you two have had together! I wish you many more years and of course you have eternity!

Heffalump said...

Happy Anniversary! I love reading your memories. Your husband is obviously a wonderful man, and I already know you are a wonderful person.

Ambrosia said...

Wow! 27 years!! Amazing! I love the memories! Happy Anniversary!!

Valerie said...

When I saw on FB that it was your anniversary I immediately came here because I knew you would write an amazing tribute to your husband!
This was so much fun to read! Thanks for sharing!
(I know I said it on FB, but Happy Anniversary!!)

Magirk said...

Such a beautiful post, Yvonne. Happy Anniversary!!! :-D

Those are all such beautiful memories - I'm just sitting here crying! - you're such a wonderful inspiration to me.

Happy Anniversary, and here's to many more awesome memories! ;-)

Doran & Jody said...

Great post, great memories!

Happy Anniversary!

Connie said...

Congratulations on 27 years! Great ictures, great memories. Alan sounds like a wonderful man. Just wondering, was his mom taking the picture in Hawaii? I can't see her in it!

Heidi said...

Wow mom---that was awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!! I sure am sooooooo blessed to have you and dad as my parents and I love you both soooooo much and look up to you and am so amazed by you!!! You both have taught me soooo much:) I am sooooo excited to build memories with Elder Fry that we will treasure:)

mindyluwho said...

Wow! 27 Years! What a great post Yvonne. You are an inspiring couple!

Melissa said...

Yvonne - you guys are so amazing!! I hope that you had a fantastic anniversary!!

Amber said...

You DO have an amazing husband. And you have been on a wonderful journey together. How your children must loving having you keep such a great record of your life!

Pedaling said...

wow! you two have done so much.
what a fun couple with a beautiful family.
great example.
Congratulations!

JustRandi said...

I love this post more than I can say. What a tribute to you both!!
happy Anniversary!

sweetpea said...

GREAT post!!! I love reading through all your memories, and about your family.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Yvonne said...

txmommy: It was a fun post to do.

neal: Thanks

aurora: Thank you--you are very sweet.

nancyface: We have had some wonderful times together.

natalie: Thanks. We have truly been blessed.

sheri: Thank you.

heffalump: He is a wonderful man--and thank you.

ambrosia: Thank you so much.

valerie: Thank you. Yeah, there was no way just writing it on facebook was enough ; )

magirk: Oh, thanks. It was fun to think about all the years and everything that has happened.

jody: Thank you.

connie: Allan is a wonderful man. I will put up a pic of my MIL in Hawaii--I just posted the one of our family not the whole family.

heidi: Thanks, sweetie. Daddy and I have been very blessed to have a wonderful life and FABULOUS children. You and your little Elder will have a great life. Hugs.

mindylou: Thanks.

melissa: We had a great one. thank you.

amber: Yes, I do. It's fun to have a lot ofl the memories recorded.

pedaling: Thanks for commenting--I appreciate it.

justrandi: Thanks--it was fun.

sweetpea: Thank you--I loved writing it.